Categories > Original > Romance > Undeniable

10. my lover's bed

by tjsparkles 0 reviews

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2010-09-27 - Updated: 2010-09-27 - 858 words - Complete

0Unrated
10. my lover’s bed

He’d grown rather accustomed to having her in his bed. So accustomed, in fact, that Josh was finding it very hard to sleep in his bed, alone. Part of him was amused by this, and part of him was confused. He could sleep in cars, in the beds of trucks, or even on the ground if he had to. In fact, he had, several times, alone, without any trouble. Josh was a very heavy sleeper, once his head hit the pillow, ground, or whatever, that was it. He was instantly out.

So what was the problem now? He wasn’t sleeping in a car, the back of a truck, or the ground. He was in his bed; the very one he had slept in for almost ten years now. He was curled up in his safe haven, a warm cocoon that normally engulfed him and brought sleep on. So why couldn’t he embrace sleep? With yet another sigh, Josh cuddled his pillow close, and tried to clear his mind completely of all thoughts.

But he couldn’t. His mind would not turn off.

Part of the reason he was having troubles had to do with the fact that the redhead provided a certain calming atmosphere and warmth that he enjoyed. Spooning her, with an arm around her waist and his nose in her red locks, was as close to heaven as Josh thought he would ever be able to get. Whenever he was on the road, curled up in some nearly broken down bed in a crap motel in God knows what city, thoughts like that were what helped Josh go to sleep. But for some reason, simply thinking of Robin just wasn’t cutting it this time. It was mind boggling, and he couldn’t, for the life of him, pinpoint its cause.

“Shit,” he mumbled as he rolled over for what had to be the thousandth time that night. Finally, he decided there was no point in fighting with sleep, and got up to get something to eat. Once in the kitchen, he poured himself a glass of milk and made a sandwich, not caring that it was past 2 a.m. and that eating just before he slept usually resulted in restless dreaming.

As he ate, Josh’s train of thought went to his girlfriend. He was pretty positive that she was sleeping, and probably sleeping well, so his thought of shooting her a text and asking her if she would mind making the drive across town to his place was out of the question. A glance at the clock told him that it was probably not a good idea. Almost 3:00 a.m.? He knew that Robin was probably sound asleep; as it was a luxury for her with the line of work she was in.

Dejected, he finished his meal and gingerly set his dishes in the sink. Once done with that task, he stretched, wincing at the popping noises his body emitted. Being in his line of work was very taxing on the body and the mind, but at the same time, it was ingrained in him. Josh truly couldn’t imagine working a regular 9-5 job, and truthfully, he wasn’t sure he would ever be able to go back to one if something should happen to him. God forbid he suffered a career-ending injury, because he just couldn’t see himself working at Subway again.

Another heavy sigh filled the room as he settled himself into a comfortable position and closed his eyes to sleep. But the bed just felt so cold and so foreign, and he just couldn’t relax his body.

“C’mon, work with me,” he mumbled, glancing at the sheets with disdain. The sheets, the mattress, and even his headboard seemed to be silently mocking him, almost smirking, if it was even possible. Josh rolled his eyes and looked around the room, perking up when his glance landed on the red blanket he almost always slept with. Beside of it was his girlfriend’s super comfortable, baggy Duke hoodie. The proverbial light bulb went off at that moment, and Josh leapt out of the bed, almost skipping as he crossed the room to get the two items. He pulled the hoodie over his head, the calming and intoxicating smell of pomegranate filling his nostrils as he did so.

The scent of his girlfriend was very comforting to him, and it wasn’t much longer when Josh felt the soft blanket of sleep beckoning him. With a sleepy smile on his face, he cuddled the blanket closer to his body and closed his eyes, signaling his voyage into the wonderfully calming world of sleep.

His lover wasn’t in his bed with him, but Josh no longer cared, because he had the next best thing. And it would more than tide him over until he saw Robin again.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Apologetic Author’s Note: Robs, I’m sorry if this sounds a lot like the same prompt you did for my story. I didn’t even realize the similarities until I went back to edit :/
Sign up to rate and review this story