Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 8

To Marvel at Consciousness

by Renay 1 review

Irvine needs to sleep.

Category: Final Fantasy 8 - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Irvine, Selphie - Published: 2006-05-06 - Updated: 2006-05-06 - 683 words - Complete

3Moving
To Marvel at Consciousness

He was tired in his bones.

A good mission. Everything handled well. /Smooth and cool/, as he had told Zell on their way back on the train. Zell had replied sleepily with some sort of mumbles before literally falling asleep sitting up. The new SeeD they had taken with them had been amused. Irvine didn't know how the fact that none of them had been able to catch a wink for the last 36 hours wasn't driving her to do the same damn thing Zell had done. Well, then there had been a car jumper in his section for crying out loud and that was the end of his ideas of catching a nap. He and Silva had taken the time to round the stowaway up and cart him to the security room on the last section of the train. Annoying, but necessary. Morons that jumped on trains with no tickets and then started waving knives around like toys could just get stuffed, as far as he was concerned.

By the time the train pulled into the station at Balamb, Zell had drooled sufficiently on the seat cushion in their car on the train and Irvine's catnap was put on hold in a whirlwind of carrying Zell bodily off the train like he was a tiny baby. Then there was paperwork, debriefings and one hundred other mindless things that at any other time wouldn't bother him at all.

When he arrived back in his dorm room Zell had already been tucked into his bed by an amused Quistis. Irvine could hear him breathing loudly and doing the sort of mumbling that can only come from forced wakefulness for a long period of time.

Irvine could also hear that he had a surprise waiting. All the lack of sleep in the world couldn't keep a smile off his face.

He headed to his little area and leaned against the door frame to grin at Selphie who was currently sweeping under his bed and wiggling her tush to whatever music was playing on the headphones she wore. She looked so cute with her now long hair twisted up in a bun, wearing slouchy clothes and doing housework. Somehow Irvine knew he could get used to this easily, coming home to find her waiting. It didn't particularly matter where home was.
At that moment she turned and saw him and everything else was wiped from his mind. The smile on her face was possibly the most beautiful thing he had seen in over a week.

"Hey."

She pulled off the headphones and dropped them on the desk. "Hi!"

"Doing a little spiffing up?" He gestured to his now clean room. It had been a sty when he left.

She smiled even bigger and bounced on the balls of her bare feet. "It was gross. I thought it would be nice if you came home to a clean room." She wrinkled her nose. "Your last check in three days ago I heard you slept in a barn. A barn?"

He nodded. "That's right. I least I don't smell chronic any longer."

They stopped talking and just considered each other for a few minutes. Selphie moved forward to stand in front of him first.

"I missed you."

"Same sentiments, little girl." He reached up to cup her face. "And while I would love to show you how much in various and possibly illicit ways, I haven't slept in damn near 40 hours."

She winked at him. "Rain check."

And so she tucked him in, helping him out of his clothes, plying cool hands to painfully sore muscles and driving him a little wild at the same time. After he was under his covers and drifting off quicker than he wanted to because she was still in front of him and beautifully Selphie, she leaned down to press a sweet kiss near his ear and whisper, "I love you."

And with that Irvine slept.

Word Count: 658
Feedback: All reviews, squees, and concrit are hugged close to Renay's heart.
Author's Notes: This was written for 15minuteficlets on Livejournal.
Sign up to rate and review this story