Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > Something In Common

Chapter Six: Trust And Loyalty-All For All

by Mukhtar_Aurelius 0 reviews

Raven finds herself teaming up with the most unlikely of allies when an unholy covenant imprisons her friends. First in a series of seven. Constructive criticism welcomed (hell, needed).

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Blackfire, Raven - Published: 2005-05-19 - Updated: 2005-05-19 - 2004 words

0Unrated
Chapter Six: Trust And Loyalty-All For All

"Is there anything else you would like to know?" Blackfire asked, leaning back in her chair in the rec room. "I can tell you my shoe size, perhaps, or maybe-"

"Don't worry, Komand'r, I think that we have all the information we need," the Lord Caretaker said.

"I'm so happy I could be of assistance. Call me again if you need me!" Blackfire chirped.

"Of course we will," the Lord Caretaker said, as calm as ever.

Raven could not believe what she was hearing. "That's...it?" she asked quietly.

"Yep, that's it," Blackfire said flippantly.

"I wasn't talking to you."

Blackfire simply stuck her tongue out at her.

"Komand'r, restrain yourself," the Lord Caretaker said. Without waiting for a reply, he turned to Raven. "Unfortunately, Raven, the answer to your question is 'yes'. In fact we did not expect as much information as we did get."

"What do you mean? All she did was tell you who the Puppet King was working with."

"True, but given the type of ship she used to fly into your system, it is quite remarkable she had enough time to have the amount of contact she did with this Puppet King. Now that we know his associates, we can begin researching their weaknesses and plan our counterassault."

"You could just ask me."

"Once more, true, but we would like the opportunity to know their weaknesses in relation to Centauri abilities. What may be an impossible task for you may be the simplest of things for us, and the reverse may also apply. Now we shall proceed to your computers and begin our research."

"You can't leave her alone in here!"

"The collar is already a great deal of protection, and furthermore, we shall leave her guarded, of course."

"Good."

"I am glad you approve, Lady Raven. Kai, Cron, follow me."

"What?"

"I am taking Officers Kai and Cron with me. They will need your information as well, being Centauri," the Lord Caretaker said, as if talking to a small child.

Seeing the look on Raven's face, Blackfire broke into laughter. Suddenly, a black tendril wrapped itself around her face, forming a gag.

Ignoring Blackfire's indignant "mmf!"s, Raven said, "I can't guard her."

"Why not?" the Lord Caretaker asked. His tone growing more serious, he continued, "I can see that there is a great deal of animosity between you two, no less than what we bear her, However, whether she likes it or not, she will help us release your friends ("MMF!"), and while we are willing to work with her, I am not sure if you are."

"You want us to be...friends?" Raven asked, menace quietly audible.

"Friends if possible, but associates at least. Now, if you will excuse us..." And with that brusque statement, he strode out of the room, the other two Officers in tow.

"Mmf?"

Raven turned around to look at Blackfire, still leaning back in her chair, gesturing at her mouth. She wasn't sure she wanted to remove the gag. After all, what could Blackfire say to her? "Sorry?" Not likely. Or rather, most likely-Raven could see it now, a "Sorry," with a big mocking smile on her face. Better she keep her mouth shut.

So it was rather surprising to both of them when Raven removed the gag.

"Why, thank-"

"You are my prisoner, and if you make one move false move, you're going down," Raven said. She normally wouldn't say something like that, but living with Beast Boy and Cyborg for two years would have that effect on you.

"Oh Raven, how do you expect us to become friends if you keep on saying such nasty things to me?" Blackfire said, putting her hands to her cheeks. "Now that was a bad idea," she added.

Raven turned away, adding just audibly, "I already have friends."

"And do you know why? It's because unlike me, you need friends," Blackfire responded, just smugly enough to be insulting.

"No. It's because unlike you, I deserve friends." Raven was starting to tire of having to go on the defensive.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Blackfire hissed.

Touched a nerve, good. "I deserve friends. You don't."

"Well, lucky you, Raven! Lucky, lucky, lucky! Everybody loves Raven, don't they?" she spat.

Even though it was what she wanted to do, Raven was stunned by the sheer hate in Blackfire's voice.

Getting up from the table, moving eye to eye with Raven, Blackfire continued, "Let me tell you something, Raven: So you got friends, so what? It just shows everybody else just how weak you are! Just look at what's happening now! You lose a few so-called 'Titans', and you find yourself trying to get your worst enemy on your side! Which is a plan that's not working out well, in my opinion!"

"You have my sincerest regrets." Raven said, not cowed in the slightest.

They held eye contact for a while longer, before Blackfire broke off. "I don't need this," she whispered, turning away to sit on her chair again.

Raven stayed silent, quietly exulting in her victory, petty though it may have been. And then, watching Blackfire sulk, she mused at just how different she was from her sister-

It hit her, the realization she was wasting time here, trading barbs and insults with who may be the only person who could help rescue the only family she had ever known.

Looked like she had to swallow her pride.

"Blackfire," she began, "I'm not sure what I said, or why I said it made you angry, but I'm sorry. Can we start this again?"

"That's a speech coming from you, Raven." Then Blackfire heard what Raven had said. "Wait, you want to what?"

"Start again."

Blackfire tried to look for any sign that Raven was making a fool of her; after all, it was what she would have done, but it seemed Raven was telling her the truth. That was a first, at least for Blackfire.

That did not mean she should make it easy for her.

"Well, that's just nice, isn't it? Except, I don't know, we were shouting at each other just a few minutes ago? Or at least, I was shouting. Don't you think that could get in the way?"

"No, it doesn't. I argue with my friends all the time," Raven said, sitting down next to Blackfire. "But after a while we cool down, and we're friends again."

"Yeah, but this isn't about 'being friends again', is it? You just want my help so you can get your 'real' friends back, don't you?" Blackfire said vehemently.

Time to bring this situation under control, Raven thought. "Yes, I want my friends back, and yes, I need your help. No, that does not mean we have to be friends, but it does not mean we have to be enemies either."

Blackfire turned to look at Raven. "Why do you care so much for them anyway?" she asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"Because they have been the only family I have ever known. We talked about that the last time you came, remember?"

"No, you talked about it. I just sat and listened," Blackfire said, a smile seeming to ghost her face. Then her face hardened. "I guess that means you consider my little sister part of your 'family' too?"

The sudden change in Blackfire's mood caught Raven off guard. "Yes, I do-"

"Then you can forget it! I'm never doing anything to help that-that little tramp! As far as I'm concerned, she can rot in whatever prison cell she's in! After all, it's exactly what she tried to do to me! Forget whatever the Lord Caretaker said, even if the Gods themselves came down and told me to help you I wouldn't do it!"

Raven finally had enough. "Fine, if that is the way you feel," Raven said, getting up toward the door.

Blackfire watched Raven get up and storm toward the door. Fine, if she wanted to tell the Lord Caretaker about Blackfire's unwillingness to cooperate, like some spoilt brat, then she could go ahead. Like she needed Raven's friendship, especially if it meant having to be...'associates' with her stupid airhead sister.

But then what? Prison? Going on the run again? Just as she had done for who knows how long?

Was she really willing to give up the chance to stop being alone just because she couldn't learn to control herself?

"Raven."

Her hand on the 'open' button, Raven stopped.

"Raven, I'm sorry. It's...can we..."

Wordlessly, Raven walked back to Blackfire and took her seat next to her. "Yes?" she asked.

Blackfire turned to her. "It's not that I do not want to help, Raven. Remember when I was here last, and Cyborg asked if I wanted to join?"

Raven nodded.

"I couldn't believe what I was hearing. For the first time in so long, I could finally stop running," she said wistfully, "I had friends, people who liked me, who wanted me to be around them. Guess it says a lot about me that the only people who ever wanted to do that are the ones who never heard of me, doesn't it?"

Raven merely smiled, encouraging Blackfire to go on.

"But as long as my sister was there, I knew I couldn't accept. The sight of her, the mere thought of having to spend time with her, was just too much for me to bear."

"Why?" Raven asked. "She told us you left home while she was just a little girl. What could she have done to you?"

For a few seconds, Blackfire was silent. "It's not really her fault," Blackfire said at last, "It's just that...it's just that whenever I see her, she reminds me so much of my father."

"Your father?"

"I don't want to talk about it." Blackfire said

"You don't have to," Raven said, placing her hand on Blackfire's shoulder.

Blackfire struggled to hold her tears within her, but when she felt Raven's hand on her shoulder, she simply broke down. All the emotions that she had held back for years, her anger, her sadness, were all let out as she buried her face in the base of a bewildered Raven's neck, weeping.

After a few minutes, she stopped. "I'm not weak, I'll have you know," she said, knowing that as soon as she did that it wasn't exactly the most intelligent thing she could have said.

"You're not weak," Raven said. She brought Blackfire up. "Although I must say that was unexpected."

"Sorry, it's just that...that you reminded me of someone."

"Who?"

"None of your business," Blackfire said, but she was smiling when she said it. "Look, I'm not ready to talk about it now, all right?" She paused. "I don't think I'll ever be ready," she added quietly

"Okay." Raven said, smiling back, right before a question entered her mind. "So, you really wanted to join the Titans?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah, why, is that an invitation?"

"...No, it isn't. Membership in the Titans is a group decision. I cannot make it alone."

Blackfire was about to reply, before Raven continued, "But I'll help, if you want."

"Yes Raven, I want", Blackfire said. She hugged Raven, and it was at that moment that Raven realized just how much Blackfire wanted what she was offering.

"Blackfire? My friends?"

Blackfire pulled herself away from Raven a bit sheepishly. "Almost forgot about it," she said. Then, the mischievous glint reentering her eye, she asked, "Can I ask you something?"

"All right."

"Do we really have to rescue Starfire? I mean, you'll still end up with a Tameranian in a five person team, no loss," she said, tilting her head and grinning.

Raven's raised eyebrow was all the answer Blackfire needed. "Okay, okay," she said, holding up her hands in mock surrender, "I get it, we'll rescue her too."

As they both got up, she added, "You'll have to admit, it was worth a try."
Sign up to rate and review this story