Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Disjointed Thoughts

Black, Two Sugars

by evilkat 0 reviews

A collection of drabbles from the LJ community FMA500. Rating is to be safe as each story is unique.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Riza Hawkeye, Roy Mustang - Published: 2006-05-06 - Updated: 2006-05-06 - 476 words - Complete

1Ambiance
Title: Black, Two Sugars
Author: evilkat
Rating: PG
Parings: Roy/Riza
Warnings: None
Challenge: "Impartial"



Colonel Roy Mustang stared at the steaming mug of coffee placed in the upper right-hand corner of his desk blotter. Every morning, without fail, that mug of coffee was waiting for him, prepared the way he liked it. Black, two sugars. Situated directly below the mug was the morning's edition of Central Times, folded in half with a precise crease. On the opposite side of the blotter was a tidy stack of reports and acquisition requests for him to approve and sign. He looked up to the only other occupant of the office as she moved around the room, distributing the day's work.

First Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye was not an unattractive woman. In fact, Mustang found her looks quite appealing. Her golden-blonde hair was pulled up in its usual, efficient style, and her uniform that disguised what he knew had to be a wonderfully feminine figure, was pressed and neat Out of that uniform, she would definitely be the type of woman he'd buy a drink for in a bar. So different than the girls he usually took to his bed, Hawkeye was smart and fiercely independent. If they were a couple, he knew she wouldn't treat him like an accessory, something to drape on her arm like a mink stole. The hash marks on his collar and the medals on his chest caught the eye of the ladies, but that was as deep as the relationships went, and those liaisons often left him with a hollow emptiness that lingered for days.

If things were different, perhaps he could get to know more about this intriguing person. But the military's code of conduct between officers and their subordinates was clear- there was to be no relations, other than professional. Whatever it was that sparked inside of him at the thought of knowing this woman outside of the uniform, had to be doused for both of their sakes.

"Is there something wrong with the coffee, Sir?"

The question startled Mustang from his daze. He blinked a few times and realized that he had been staring intently into the mug before him. He glanced up into soft ruddy-brown eyes. "No, everything's fine," he answered with a broad grin. Hawkeye's eyes widened slightly before she returned a shy smile of her own, and turned back to her work.

Mustang fought back a sigh and brought the mug up to his lips. This would have to do for now. The coffee, the paper, waiting for him in the morning, and everything it symbolized. It would have to do for now.

Perhaps, if things were different, Hawkeye would wear a mini-skirt and her hair down for him. He smiled to himself as he took the first sip of the best damn coffee he ever tasted.

-End-
Sign up to rate and review this story