Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Run Like Hell

In The Dark

by westie 1 review

Jordan's at a slumber party when the lights go out! And there's a creepy creeper staring at the house! Suspense! Intrigue! Mystery!

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2010-11-11 - Updated: 2010-11-12 - 1069 words

1Exciting
It was the night of the girls’ annual slumber fest. They had invited me over, since Veronica had her own place, like me. There would be no parents, so they wanted me to stay the night.

We were up in Veronica’s room. Her room takes up the entire third floor of the house. She had her own bathroom and shower, and one small window in an alcove towards the front of the room. They sat for about an hour, painting toes and other girly stuff, while I sat on the bed, happy to be there and not bored at all.

“Hey, guys?” Clara spoke up after about an hour. We turned to her.

“I think there’s someone out there. And he’s just staring at the house.”

“What?”

“Who is it? Can you see his face?”

We crowded around, staring out the small window onto the dark street below, lit with one solitary street lamp. Yes, there was definitely someone standing out there. He was in the middle of the light thrown by the lamp, so we could see his figure. He was wearing a wide brimmed hat, a fedora if you will. A long black trench coat shrouded his normal clothes from the light, and his face was downturned so that the fedora’s shadow hid his face.

“CREEPER!” Stasi screamed, pulling Emily away from the window and feigning terror. Emily feigned terror as well, clutching onto Stasi with an intensely frightened look on her face. They both giggled at me when I shook my head at them.

“Why do you think he’s out there?”

“I don’t know, Terra. Maybe he’s selling cookies,” Veronica said in a sarcastic tone.

“Well, what are we going to do about it?” Terra demanded.

“I’ll get rid of him,” Veronica said.

“And if he won’t go I’ll throw him a punch, and Jordan will,” Stasi said.

“Will I?” I asked, amused at how she just assumed things.

“Yes, if you love us.”

“I love you all very much.”

“Well then.”

“Enough flirting, you two,” Emily demanded. “Besides, Stasi loves me much more than you, Jordan.” She pulled Stasi into a tight embrace and they both smiled playfully at me. The two acted like such lesbians sometimes, but it was okay. It was funny.

“Hello, let’s get back to the problem outside,” Veronica chastised.

“Oh yeah,” Stasi said.

“Well, maybe he’s like doing something else. I’m sure he’ll go away if we leave him alone,” Clara said, staring out at the man.

“Clara’s right,” Terra said. “We don’t know who he is, and he might just be one of the neighbors gone for a walk.”

“Yeah, let’s ignore him,” I suggested. “If he’s still there in half an hour I’ll do something about it.”

“Oh Jordan, you’re my hero,” Stasi said, grabbing my arm and batting her eyelashes in an exaggerated way.

We resumed our activities, and I requested if I could play Veronica’s Xbox. She had the new Bioshock. I was so excited I hugged her.

I had only been playing for about twenty minutes when the power went out. This was strange because it wasn’t storming or anything; on the contrary, it was a perfectly warm night.

“Oh come on! I totally paid the electric bill this month! What’s the deal?!” I heard a fist hit the wall.

“Oh, Verie, calm down,” someone said.

“Vee, do you have any candles?” I asked. “Or flashlights?” I rummaged around on the floor near the bed, finally finding my bag. I pulled out my .45, slipping it into the waistband of my pants. First there’s a creepy guy outside and now this? It wasn’t just coincidence. I didn’t want to take any chances.

Veronica threw me an emergency candle. “That’s the only one I have, and I can’t find a lighter.”

“I have one,” I told her. I lit the candle, seeing their somewhat frightened faces relax at the light.

“I have to go find the fuse box,” I told them. “Are you guys coming, or do you want to stay up here?”

“I’m not staying up here,” Stasi said. “And Emily goes where I go." She grabbed her counterpart and held her tightly around the waist.

“Me too,” Terra said.

One by one they volunteered to go with me. I led the way, both arms gripped by teen girls who wanted me for protection, no matter the innocent cause of the power outage.

“The fuse box is in the basement,” Veronica said. She led us down three flights of stairs, to the unfinished basement.

“Uggh! Verie, it smells like wet laundry down here!” Terra exclaimed. One of the girls made a fake retching sound, and they all giggled.

"You dorks, it's not like it's my fault," Veronica laughed.

We stepped into the dank secondary room. I could hear the sound of something dripping, but I couldn’t see what it was.

“It should be over here somewhere,” Veronica said.

We searched along the wall and finally found it. I opened it up.

“Do the basement first, so we won’t be in the dark,” Clara suggested.

I flipped all the switches to the off position. Flicking the basement switch back to ‘on’, I let out a groan of frustration when nothing happened.

“Nothing happened?”

“Nothing happened.”

I tried the other ones, but when we got back upstairs, nothing had turned on. We were stuck in the dark for the rest of the night.

“What do we do now?”

“We could play with the Ouija board!”

“HELL NO.”

“I say we go back upstairs and go to bed.”

“That sounds like a good idea.”

“Yeah, I’m kinda tired too,” I yawned. I handed Veronica the candle and she led the way through the living room.

Everyone froze when we heard a knock on the front door.

“Who could that be?”

“Should we answer it?”

“Why would anyone be knocking at midnight?”

“Oh my god, it’s not locked! If it’s that creeper he can just walk right in!”

“Well, I’m sure as hell not going to go lock it!”

Then we heard a voice. A voice that has haunted my dreams since I became a normal person.

“Little pigs, little pigs, let me come in…”
Sign up to rate and review this story