Categories > Games > Fire Emblem > Prideful Love

Ch4

by Saicha6744 1 review

Category: Fire Emblem - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-11-11 - Updated: 2010-11-11 - 2012 words - Complete

1Exciting
Disclaimer see ch1
*******

Chapter Four: Bonds

The return trip on board the Davros was uneventful. The mood was dark and brooding as Eliwood mourned the loss of his father. Matthew silently mourned for Leila. She was found dead on the first day they stepped foot on Valor.
Matthew took the blow hard, but he kept his cheery ruse going the best he could. At night, when he thought nobody was around, he would break down and weep for his beloved Leila.

Eliwood mourned openly and refused to leave his father's side. He held onto his father's cold hand, thinking that at any given minute Elbert will wake up.
Ninian confined herself to her cabin and cried for two days on end. It was her fault that Elbert died after all. She was the one who sapped Elbert's life energy in order to open the Dragon's Gate. She was the one who lost herself in her power and allowed Nergal to control her.

It was all her fault.

Nills stayed with her constantly, telling her that it was not her fault Nergal exploited her weakness. Ninian would then absently nod her head, wipe away her tears and sigh in a defeated manner.

Why did she have to kill Eliwood's father? Why?

On deck Mark observed the night sky. He never failed to be amazed at the billions of stars that dotted the sky, clumping together to form the Milky Way and then spread out again into a few sparkly specks. As soon as they reached Badon the army would rest for the night in an Inn. Elmilene knew that they needed the rest, especially after the hell they went through on Valor. The deaths of Elbert and Leila weighed heavily on the army and Mark was desperate to rekindle their spirits again.
After all an army with low morale was a dead army.

He stood motionless for a long time, just thinking. The gears in his brain worked at breakneck speed as he thought about the different options to boost morale.

They could have a feast...but then the soldiers would get drunk and what's to celebrate anyway? Elbert and Leila were dead for-crying-out-loud!

Order all units to take a day off...with my luck the Black Fang will be crawling up our arses on THAT day, Mark thought bitterly as he shook his head.

Get Lowen to sneak some happy-leaf into the food...Nah, Sain will get way too HAPPY around the LADIES.

Argh! I'd love to know what to do! Wait...love? Mark's green eyes shone as he realized the perfect way to boost morale. After all love conquers all.

The sharp tactician already noticed some relationships starting to form. He decided to test his new plan in the following battle. Satisfied with his decision Mark went below deck to his cabin and slept peacefully.

When the Davros finally made port in Badon it was night. All the units were tired and irritable. Lady Lyn and Hector bade farewell to captain Fargus as he set sail again. Dart stayed behind in Badon. He had the captain's leave to accompany the army for as long as he wish. Fargus only had one condition: Dart should return alive.

Eliwood was still torn up in his room when Ninian walked in on him. 'Lord Eliwood...I'm so sorry. It's all my fault.'

'Stop blaming yourself, Ninian. Tears suit your beautiful face ill. Look at you, full of scratches and bruises...you need someone to look after you,' Eliwood said gently. But before he could continue Ninian's senses sparked.

'Ah! Lord Eliwood, the enemy approaches.'

'All right.' Eliwood said as he rushed outside to join Hector and Lyn.

Ninian followed. She was determined to help Eliwood to the best of her ability. After all she was not just a pretty little dancer. Her dances had mystic powers that refreshed even the most battle-weary soldier.

Mark already had a battle plan formulated in his head. He quickly picked the most suitable units for a night battle, Matthew and Leagult being included. They would head towards the villages and warn them. A scout returned a few moments later.

'The enemy leader is a Black Fang Warrior named Ooleg. He's got wyverns with him as well.'

Mark's eyes widened a little. He did not expect wyverns in this battle. Quickly he decided that Rebecca and Lucius should join the battle.

'Rebecca, there are reports of a ballista to the southern part of town. Find it. Occupy it and blast those wyverns out of the sky. Lucius, go with her. Protect her.' The said people nodded and disappeared into the night. Marcus was to remain behind and protect Merlinus.
The rest of the army would head towards the arena and draw the bulk of the enemy towards them. Matthew and Leagult would join them as soon as they finished warning the villages.

Rebecca adjusted the sights of the ballista. She could hear the leathery flapping of wyvern wings up ahead. Pulling the lever she watched as yet another wyvern tumbled from the sky. She was disappointed to see that her shot only injured the beast's wing. Lucius was quick to finish it off.

'We're out of arrows. I think we should meet the rest at the arena,' Rebecca said.

'What is wrong, Rebecca. You seem troubled,' Lucius stated as the walked in the dark towards the arena. Rebecca walked slowly, being in no particular hurry.

'It is nothing...'

'If you say so.... Just remember that you can talk to me if something bothers you.' He offered kindly.

Rebecca nodded absently. She did not want the whole world to know that her brother forgot about her!

'So...what is Sir Raven like?' she asked out of blue. Lucius regarded her quietly. A small smile played on his lips.

'What do you mean, child?'

'Um...ah...what kind of person is he?' Rebecca asked and suddenly felt very uncomfortable about the subject. She felt her cheeks heat up, but luckily the darkness prevented Lucius from seeing her embarrassed blush.

'Oh. Let's see...he's got a good heart. People don't usually see it. They just see his rough exterior. Why do you ask?'

'...I...uh...no reason!' Rebecca sweat-dropped and waved her hands defensively in front of her. 'I'm just curious, that's all.'
Lucius gave her a knowing look, but said no more on the subject. He knew when to keep quiet.

The battle against Ooleg was long and tiresome, but eventually the Black Fang Warrior was slain by Lady Lyn. She was fast enough to dodge his clumsy axe strikes and slit open his throat with her Manni Katti.
A new member joined the group that night, a personal guard from Lady Eleonora. It was a Paladin by the name of Isadora. She was a lady-in-waiting and Eleonora's personal guard.
Eliwood was greatly relieved to have word from his mother, that she was still holding strong. Lord Elbert's death rested heavily upon her.

After the battle it was decided that the group should head towards Ostia. Uther should be informed of Elbert's death and Nergal's plan to bring the Dragons back to Elibe.

The next day the army departed early and marched north towards Castle Ostia. It was a five day march, if everything went well.
By nightfall the army settled down and made camp.

As the army settled down into smaller groups around separate fires Rebecca decided to join Raven. He was sitting alone at a small, dying fire.

'Ah, Sir Raven, how are you today?' she asked sweetly as she sat next to him on the log.

'No worse than yesterday,' he replied mildly distracted.

'Um...Sir Raven? I made these for you...you know to say thank you for my bow,' Rebecca said shyly as she handed him a basked laden with food.

Raven arched a brow. He did not think the girl was serious in that regard. He looked at her and saw her hopeful expression. Something inside him did not want to disappoint her, so he picked out a meat pie and bit into it hungrily.
He was surprised at the delicate taste that filled his mouth. Sweet parsley, delicate spices and juicy meat all combined to make the perfect taste and texture. He chewed slowly, savouring the taste and watching Rebecca's nervous glance from the corner of his eye. He smiled inwardly. The girl could cook.

'...good...this is good eating...' he said between bites.

Rebecca sighed in relief. For a moment she was convinced that Raven hated her cooking. 'There's more, eat all you can.' Rebecca loved nothing more than watching him enjoy her food.

'You bagged all this?' He asked with vague surprise, noticing the vast amount of meaty dishes for the first time. 'You are quite the hunter, aren't you?' Raven smiled as he noticed the slight blush on her cheeks from his compliment.

'Ah! You do smile, Sir Raven!' Rebecca exclaimed.

'I am human. I smile. I cry.' Raven stated simply. His smile still lingered on his lips.

'I can't imagine you crying, Sir Raven,' Rebecca said feeling her face heat up even more, 'but you have a...nice smile. Very handsome!'

Oh crap! Did I just say that? Rebecca scolded herself.

Raven's amused smile still played on his lips. He was starting to like this girl. Suddenly her cheery demeanour changed and she became melancholy.

'You..you look a bit like my brother.'

The comment surprised him. 'You have a brother?'

'Yes...he left home five years ago...never returned...he never wrote a letter...I fear he's forgotten all about me...' Rebecca said, voicing her fear for the first time to Raven.

Raven felt an ache in his chest. How similar their situations were! Her face crumpled and she looked away. Raven could not bear to see her like that.

'He wouldn't forget.'

'What?' Rebecca asked, facing him again. Confusion shone brightly in her eyes.

'There must be something else keeping him from returning home. Maybe it's just his fool pride, eh? But no matter what happens there's no way he could forget you, Rebecca. No matter how far away he is he's thinking of you always...that's what brothers do.' Raven spoke from his heart and from experience. No matter how far away he was Priscilla was always on his mind. He always worried if she was safe and if her adopted family treated her well.

Tears dripped from Rebecca's eyes. Raven's words comforted her, but he did not know the whole truth.

'But he did forget! I saw him on the ship! He doesn't know me anymore!' she blurted out. Her small sobs becoming full-fledged bawling.

Raven could not stand seeing her cry. Moving closer to her he placed an arm around her shoulder.

'Don't cry,' he said soothingly as he muffled her sobs against his chest.

'He forgot me...' Rebecca whispered over and over again. She gripped his tunic tightly and continued to cry as Raven silently rubbed her back.
He was slightly confused, but decided that it was best to let Rebecca cry for now. He could ask her the details later. Raven did not know how long he cradled her against him, but eventually he noticed that her sobs died away and her breathing became normal again.

'You alright?' he asked as she pulled away from him. Her embarrassment was apparent.

'I-I'm sorry...'

'Do you want to talk about it?' he asked gently, not liking the worried feeling that crept into his heart.

She shook her head mutely. Shakily she stood and left, apologizing once more to Raven.
All Raven could do was watch with growing worry as Rebecca retreated to her tent.

******

I changed the A support a bit to go along with the story better.
Well, that's all for now.
RRR!
Sign up to rate and review this story