Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts

to nowhere

by Yati 0 reviews

KHII. Hayner, Olette, Pence. We all have to grow up, sooner or later.

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Hayner, Pence - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-05-13 - Updated: 2006-05-13 - 410 words - Complete

4Ambiance
Hayner thinks he remembers: a boy, around his age, with eyes like the sky and hair like the sun, though sometimes his moods are dark like the storm clouds over the horizon. He's leaning over the railings, and he looks like he's happy that day. He's excited and expectant and enthusiastic, making him seem younger than he actually is. A train passes by and he exclaims over it, and all of them crowd towards him to watch it. As the train disappears under the tunnel they chase after it, and when it stops at the station, they board together, laughing. They're not sure where it's heading but it doesn't matter, because they have each other and maybe they will not be going to the beach this year, but there's always next year, and the year after the next, and the year after that, and the year after that . . . .

He mentions the memory to Olette and Olette has this faraway look in her eyes before she shakes her head and tells him he must be making things up. Pence seems unconvinced; he sighs and volunteers to get some ice-cream---something he hasn't done for years---and when he returns with four popsicles and tries to make an excuse for it and fails, they just look at each other with some bemusement.

"I wonder who we're trying to convince," Hayner observes, and Pence shrugs, the extra ice-cream he's holding dripping onto his sneakers.

"Do you think we'll ever really remember?" Olette asks, absently wiping away the dust that had settled in their old hangout. It's not really the usual spot anymore; they've grown up and moved along, but this place will always be special to them. She picks up a photograph lying on one of the boxes and hands it to Hayner. He glances at it and starts---there's an extra person in the picture: Olette and Pence in front of him, and Sora (/no that's not Sora just someone I've had always known but somehow I could never remember/) beside him, and when he pulls it out of the glare it's just that same old photograph of the three of them.

"Who knows." He tacks the photograph on the dart board, contemplating it for a short moment. "Let's go. The tournament's starting."

They leave the empty room with dust tracks on the floor and a lingering presence behind them, and they head into the town and continue on with their lives.
Sign up to rate and review this story