Categories > Celebrities > Beatles > Beatlemania!

American Holiday

by MiaRiversong 0 reviews

Alice meets the Beatles' girls!

Category: Beatles - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: George Harrison,John Lennon,Paul McCartney,Ringo Starr - Published: 2010-12-30 - Updated: 2010-12-31 - 3327 words

0Unrated
Alice meets the Beatles' girls! I wasn’t up until eleven thirty the next day. The Gallery wasn’t open all week, and I relished the sleep. I ate breakfast and I dressed while Lucy stubbornly administered the deadly silent treatment.

It was twelve forty-five by the time I got to the hotel. I walked casually into the lobby, but when I saw who was inside, my casual demeanour and my confidence shattered. There, in the lobby, were of course, the Beatles. That I had been expecting. I had forgotten to expect the three drop-dead gorgeous girls that I was currently looking at. I contemplated turning around and running home, but John caught sight of me and let out a little cheer.

I plastered on a smile and sidled up to the glamourous group. I felt childish in my Japanese-style olive dress and my sandals.

“Alice!” the boys chorused.

I grinned and hugged each one in turn, blushing when John jokingly pinched my bum.

“It’s been too long,” I stated as I finished off the hug-fest with Ringo.

“Indeed it has!” Ritchie agreed.

George smiled. “Alice, this is me girl, Pattie.”

Pattie Boyd. Of course I’d heard of her! She was a lovely model and I had always been heartbreakingly jealous of her. Of course George was dating her.

“Hi, Pattie,” I greeted with a small smile.

She answered it with a shy smile of her own. I liked her already.

“This is Maureen,” Ringo announced proudly.

I turned to look at a very young-looking girl next to Ritchie. I certainly felt better now as I looked at the teenager.

“Call me Mo,” she offered with a good-natured grin.

I nodded absently, still whirling at her youth.

“I suppose this is Cynthia,” I smiled at the blonde woman standing near John.

John nodded, and Cynthia held out a hand for me to shake. “I prefer Cyn.”

I blinked at the sharpness of her answer but shook her hand politely. I shot John a questioning look, but he carefully avoided my gaze.

“What are all your plans for the visit?” I asked curiously.

They all shrugged. “Just the regular New York stuff,” George answered.

I rolled my eyes. “Since when are you the New York expert?”

“Since I stopped calling it the Big Apple.”

I laughed out loud, and the rest of the boys didn’t hesitate to join in. The girls, however, looked extremely confused. I saw Ringo explaining it to Mo. She cracked a smile, but her interest level was low.

“Well, don’t forget Central Park,” I reminded them.

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget,” John snorted.

Once again, the girls looked confused. I felt bad. Maybe I should let it be and walk out of the hotel and out of the Beatle circle.

“We plan on going out tonight,” Pattie offered with a lovely smile. She linked arms with George.

“We’ve all got dates,” Ringo grinned.

My hopes plunged but I kept a smile on my face. “What a coincidence. I do as well!”

They all looked surprised. “You do?” Paul exclaimed.

“Well don’t look so shocked,” I said self-consciously.

“We just didn’t know you were seeing anyone,” George clarified. He looked calm as usual.

Paul looked like he was about to breathe fire. “Who asked you?”

“Why, are you going to have him shot?” I retorted.

He shrugged. “Possibly.”

“I’d rather not divulge that information, then.” I winked.

I had to force myself to think straight, now. George, John and Ritchie had come on holiday with their girls, but Paul comes alone? Paul keeps staring at me during dinner? Paul seems a little jealous?

“I really want to check out Fifth Avenue,” Cynthia spoke up with a little laugh.

“Oooh, yes!” Mo squealed.

Pattie smiled. “I wouldn’t object!”

John looked completely confused. “What the hell’s on Fifth Avenue?”

“It’s shopping district, John,” I explained. “A very nice one, too.”

John rolled his eyes and Ringo laughed. “A shopping district, eh? Well, you can count me out. Sorry, Mo.”

Mo kissed him lightly and I felt like I was intruding. “Shall we go and have a bite? I know a lovely cafe...” I trailed off.

The suggestion was met with enthusiasm, so led the group to the cafe I had eaten at with John when we first bumped into each other.

Like last time, I sipped my lemonade cautiously, but I kept my mouth shut. The conversation flowed freely between the groups simply because they knew each other so well. I felt out of place and a little stupid.

I think Pattie noticed this immediately, because at the end of the meal she suggested that the three of them go explore Fifth Avenue.

“What about Alice?” Mo asked me with a large smile.

Pattie jumped in quickly. “We’ll let Alice and the boys relax and catch up, shall we?”

Cynthia nodded briefly and Mo shrugged. “As long as Alice doesn’t mind the lads.”

I beamed. “I don’t mind at all.”

The girls left and I was left with the four lads. It felt more natural. I took down my carefully done hair and shook it out.

“Now you can let yer hair down,” John laughed, shaking his own head.

“They’re lovely. Really, they are. I didn’t know you were dating Pattie Boyd, George! Why didn’t you tell me?” I demanded jokingly.

George grinned lopsidedly. “I dunno. She’s perfect, isn’t she?”

Paul laughed and John rolled his eyes. “Star-struck lover. Idiot.”

I threw my napkin at John. “John! Love’s....well, lovely!”

John laughed at me blatantly. “You’re the typical Dolly Daydream, Alice. Love isn’t perfect, you know.”

I was fighting a lost argument, I knew, but I had to say one last thing. “But that’s just it, isn’t it? True love with the right person is perfection.”

John patted my hand gently. He didn’t want to fight.

“Central Park, anyone?” Ringo asked cheerfully.

“Ringo, there’s snow out there,” George pointed out.

Ritchie shrugged. “Snow angels?”

I giggled. “Manhattan’s snow is too grimy to roll around in, I’m afraid.”

“Well? What do we do?” John groaned. “I’m not shopping on bloody Fifth Avenue.”

The other boys let out a murmur of consent.

I replied, “No fear! Come on, we’ll go to Central Park anyhow. Everyone got coats? Good. March!”
~

Central Park was my winter wonderland during this time of year. The boys seemed just as entranced as I did as we walked slowly to my usual spot.

“Do you really have a date with that rich bloke?” John hissed under his breath as we fell back slightly.

I was surprised. “How did you know it was Liam?”

“Liam, eh? Posh name, that is.” John smirked.

I blushed. “Well he asked, and since you’re all busy...”

John looked concerned. “You can come with me, if you like.”

“What, and ruin your lovely evening with your wife? Fat chance,” I snorted.

John shrugged. “Fair enough. But tomorrow, I want to take you out to lunch. We’ll catch up and you can tell me how your date goes.”

I laughed and agreed immediately. We caught up to the other boys as we caught sight of the bench. I sprinted over to sit down. The lads realized what we were doing so they started running as well. George made it first and planted himself next to me. Paul was next, and then John and then poor Ringo had nowhere to sit.

I felt instantly bad, and I shoved John over to make room for Ritchie. John had been sitting in a way which took up a lot of room.

“Shove up, fat arse!” I demanded.

John laughed at me and then challenged me with his eyes. “What are you going to do about it, Alice?”

I rolled a snowball and shoved it into his face. The facial expression that lingered there with the snow was well worth it. The shock mixed with the anger and the amusement certainly twisted John’s face the wrong way.

I leaped out of my seat and fled to gather ammunition. And then, it all started.

“John! Why the hell did you hit me?” Paul whined, rolling his own snowballs.

“Alice! I was on your side,” George scowled.

“Every man for himself!” John cried.

Ringo grinned. “What team are you on, John, you swine?”

The snowball fight commenced and even though I was cold and sopping wet by the time we were tired out and the sun began to fade, I didn’t want the moment to end. But now Liam was dropping by so I had to look nice.

“Bye, then,” I tried to keep my smile believable.

George and John grinned, seeing right through my facade. Ringo gave me a hug (what he was good at) and Paul just smiled lightly at me before trudging along the snow.

“I’ll phone you for lunch,” John reminded me with a pat on the back.

I hugged them both and then sent them off. They knew their way by now.
I showered and dressed, primped and preened. I was finished so fast that by the time I was done it was barely six-thirty. I watched TV with a sullen Lucy.

“Are you going out with him?” she asked, breaking the vow of silence she had made towards me.

“Out with whom?” I feigned ignorance.

“Paul,” Lucy replied, rather disgruntled.

I shrugged. “No, not with Paul.”

“Then who?”

I looked up. She looked sincerely interested and not just spiteful. “Liam Norton,” I muttered.

“Who?”

I giggled faintly. “You know that posh bloke from Australia?”

“Australians have lovely accents,” Lucy commented.

I nodded vaguely.

“Then again...” she looked at me questioningly “So do Liverpudlians.”

I opened my mouth to explain, but the buzzer sounded and I quickly let Liam in. Seconds later, he was at the door.

“Hello, Alice,” he nodded slyly.

I nodded blankly. “You brought the papers then?”

“Yes, they need your signature to airlift the statue from Athens,” Liam explained rather boastfully.

“Athens?” I was surprised.

Liam nodded. “I picked it up on one of my travels.”

“Ah. I wish I had the travel freedom that you do,” I remarked wistfully.

He shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe you will someday.”

I turned sharply at him when I read the context of his statement. However, he was fishing around his pockets for a pen. “Here you go.”

I scribbled my signature and then introduced Liam to Lucy.

“Lovely to meet you,” Lucy smiled graciously.

Liam’s smile mirrored hers perfectly. “Same here.”

I straightened the papers out and then handed them back to Liam rather roughly. Liam glanced at them and then at my outfit.

“Fancy a drink?” he asked.

I sucked in my breath. “Sure. Let me get some shoes.”

Liam was a gentleman. That was all there was to it. He was perfect. He was a handsome, blonde, blue eyed, rich, polite Australian who was fixated with me for some reason.

I let myself relax and he felt me relax. He was funny, too, ordering wine in a faux-French accent and making me giggle. Plus, he cared about me. He listened to me talk, and he was just as open to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner and drinks, but the awkward moment of goodbyes always raised my doubts.

He opened my car door for me and I stood by the apartment door awkwardly.

“It was fun, Liam,” I smiled tentatively.

He nodded in agreement and swept me up into a long, deep kiss. I gently pulled away and let him kiss me once more before walking inside.

I forgot to analyze it properly. He seemed plenty passionate, sure, but is that what I wanted?
It was too late for these deep and intriguing thoughts so I fell asleep instead.
~
“Alice! Get the hell in here now!” Lucy’s frantic voice shouted through my eardrums.

I groaned and stumbled into the living room in my paisley pyjamas and my hair in messy braids.

“Fuck!” I shrieked. “John! What are you doing here?”

John looked amused. “So yeh can swear! I never would have known.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, yes, funny stuff. Now why are you here?”

“We had a lunch date!”

I growled. “Yeah, which should probably happen sometime around lunch, don’t you think?”

He grinned. “Alice, it’s nearly two.”

I groaned again. “You’re joking! I haven’t slept that long!”

“According to the clock, you’ve slept about twelve hours,” Lucy remarked.

I slapped my forehead and then rushed to the bathroom without another word, not even thinking about the awkward position I may have put Lucy in. Twelve minutes later, I emerged from the bathroom fully clothed in jeans and a turtleneck blue shirt.

Lucy and John were sitting silently and awkwardly in the living room. I gave Lucy an apologetic look.

“Right, John. Let’s go.”

John practically flew out of the room without even saying bye to Lucy. I followed him rather slowly. I was still tired.

“She’s terrible!” John gaped as soon as we were in the elevator going down.

I snickered. “What happened?”

John shrugged. “Well, nothing in particular, but she kept...glaring at me as if I was some sort of kidnapper!”

I rolled my eyes. “Lucy isn’t exactly your greatest fan.”

“Right, because me band mate “broke her heart”?” John laughed viciously. “Why the fuck should I care that she was stupid enough to believe that anything with Paul was going to last?”

I let the subject drop, knowing that fighting with John was basically like walking into a hungry lion’s den.

“Where are the rest of your friends?” I asked casually as we strolled around, peeking at lunch menus.

“They’re all still sleeping. Jetlag, you know,” he replied, squinting to read the particularly small print.

“Aren’t you tired?” I questioned in surprise.

John gave his usual half-hearted shrug. “Not really. I think I stopped being tired after I turned twenty-one. Too much shit to do all the time.”

As usual, I had nothing to say to his fierce opinions, so I kept my mouth shut. Vaguely, I wondered why he had bothered to take me out to lunch anyway. We barely even knew each other. Would it be a bonding-type lunch? Or a nice-to-see-you-again lunch?

I pondered this all the way until the waitress at the cafe came and took our orders. John was flirty and teasing with her and I watched with a small smirk on my face as she left with a silly smile on her face.

John read my questioning look. “She had some massive knockers.”

I snorted into my water. John smiled at my reaction and took a sip of his Coke.

“So, Alice,” he said after swallowing.

“So, John,” was my predictable reply.

John leaned a little closer across the table. “Tell me about yourself.”

I took a deep breath and realized this was most definitely a bonding lunch. I took him through my childhood, my teens, and my recent young adult years. He listened and nodded, and was quite keen to tell his own story.

I was a fabulous listener. Or maybe he was just a good story-teller. I don’t know. I couldn’t get enough of his life. My burger and fries came and I barely touched it.

Finally, John noticed. “You’d better eat, love. We’ve got to go in about half an hour.”

I nodded understandingly but my heart was disappointed. Of course I wasn’t his number one priority! He had a wife and three best mates. I don’t even know what I am!

We ate relatively quickly, although John didn’t finish even half of his fries. I pinched most of them and walked out of the restaurant very full indeed.

“So, where you off to?” I asked curiously.

John looked rather tired now, in the sun. “I’m going to kip out for a bit. By the way, I never asked you how your date was last night.”

I felt myself blush. “It was great. He was perfect.”

John raised his eyebrows. “Perfect, eh? Well you’d better hold on to ‘im.”

I blinked. “Are you holding on, John?”

He winced. “For now. But I don’t know how long I can.”

I gave him a light pat on the back and started to walk to Central Park. John stopped me. “Don’t tell anyone I said that.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Good to know you trust me, John.”

The walk to Central Park seemed shorter this time. Perhaps I was just walking faster. However, when I got to my bench, somebody was...sitting in it.

“Paul!” I yelped, gaping at the handsome man on my bench.

He nodded. “Morning.”

I was still flabbergasted. “What...why...you’re on my bench!”

“Yeah, it’s the only calm place I know of. Although your screaming sort of ruins the peace.”

I blushed and sat next to him. “Jetlag?”

“Not really. I’m just not a city person. I’ll live in the country one day. With the wife and kids...grandkids. You know, the lot,” Paul didn’t even look at me.

I was rather surprised. “I’m glad to hear that even famous Paul wants just what everyone else wants.”

Paul glanced at me. “And what’s that?”

“A happy ending. Even after all the madness. Just a happy ending.”

Paul was silent for a while. “Yes. That’s what I want. But not just yet. I want to live the madness for a little while. But not forever.”

“Of course,” I said quickly.

“But isn’t it okay to want some guarantee? To know that someday I’ll have a happy ending?” Paul asked passionately.

I wasn’t sure if he was talking to me anymore, but I spoke up anyway. “Life holds no guarantees.”

Paul looked rather shocked to see me say that. He suddenly changed the subject. “What do you think a partner is supposed to be like?”

“I’m guessing you’re referring to a personal lover, or a spouse?”

He nodded.

“They’re supposed to accept your opinions and love you even if you stand on opposite sides on an argument. They’re supposed to comfort you and accept you when you’re a mess. They calm you when you’re angry. And you have to love them. Otherwise, there’s no point.”

I don’t know where all the words came from, but they were spilling out and Paul was drinking them in.

“Descriptive,” he remarked. “How was your date last night?”

I felt my cheeks heat up. “It was great. Liam seems perfect.”

“Perfect? You believe there’s such a thing as perfect?” Paul inquired.

I bobbed my head. “Sure. Perfection is different for everyone, right? So there must be someone just right for everyone.”

Paul made a face. “I believe that people have more than one soul mate. You can fall in love over and over again with a different soul mate.”

“That’s interesting. I guess I’m just a cheesy believer of true love, one love, forever and always crap,” I admitted embarrassingly.

“That’s not crap, it’s romantic,” he assured me. “But romantic isn’t always realistic.”

“With the right person, it is,” I pointed out.

I felt Paul’s gaze on me now, and I turned slightly. “So, how was your date?” I asked.

“Eh. It was alright. The bird was a bit of a slag.”

I’d heard my dad speak and read enough books to know exactly what he was talking about.

“Ugh. You must have good taste.”

“She did have a very nice bum.”

I laughed at that, and Paul joined in heartily.
Sign up to rate and review this story