Categories > Original > Mystery > The Great Library: Prologue

The Great Library: Prologue

by miatthas 0 reviews

Josh Flint has been an ordinary kid his whole life, until his teacher tells him that magic exists. Josh is then sucked into a whole adventure trying to save the world, and prevent world war three.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2011-01-30 - Updated: 2011-01-30 - 775 words

0Unrated

Writing Goal

By Everett C. Davis

Prologue

"I told you, not to come back, Flint. When you walked out of here ten years ago, I told you, you would never walk back in!"

Herndon Flint was a very unique man. He had onceworked for the CIA, and been one of the two deputy leaders to Dave Smith. If all had gone as planned, he would be the one sitting in the fancy desk, ruling over the entire American secret service. He had spoken out against the leader, so the next in line, "took the thrown." Steve Carter had been Herndon's co deputy. Since Herndon didn't agree with how the Dave ran the CIA, Herndon either had the choice to agree, or leave.

After Herdon walked out of the office for the last time, he had started his own secret service, and collected people from the CIA, who were valuable, and also had grudges about how it was run. Now, Steve was head of the CIA, and, in Herndon's opinion, was even more incompetent than his predecessor.

"I'll have to tighten up security around here, so unworthy people can't just walk in," said Steve, clearly disgusted. "So what is it you want from me?"

"You remember why I was forced to leave?" queried Herndon.

"You walked out of here. You weren't forced to go anywhere!" counted Steve.

"Whatever. But you understand I never liked how things were run around here. In my absence, I have been developing some... equipment." Flint reached into his briefcase and pulled out a piece of paper.

Steve looked irritated, and bored. "Am I supposed to be interested in this piece of garbage?" he asked of the man sitting across from him.

"Yes. This paper is the gateway to the future. This is one of the many pieces of technology I have been developing over the past ten years.

"Paper was invented in China in 705 AD," stated Steve. "I don't need you to go /re/inventing it."

"Ah, but this... brand of paper, is very special. Some might call it magical," finished Flint. "For instance if I wanted to show you the amount of people that work for the CIA, I could show you with this graph." Flint waved his hand over the paper, and a graph entitled CIA Members, appeared, with a snaking red line, that went all the way back to 1980.

"How did you do that? Those numbers are classified. Where did you steal them from?"

Flint gave that mischievous smile that Steve disliked so. They had been friends all through school. Flint had always beaten Steve at everything; he was the best in the classroom, and sports.

"I'm not sure where the paper got the info from, but I'd guess it just plucked the number out of your head. Do you know off the top of your head how many people work for you?"

Steve gasped. How could this paper do this, this... magic? If Herndon could read minds, no one was safe.

"Now, let's say, I add my graph of people working for me." Flint touched the surface of the paper. The paper seemed to ripple outward from where flint touched it. The graph showing the CIA slid up, and a new one appeared. It, unlike the first graph, only went back ten years. "Now let's bring the two graphs together," said Flint. Again, he caused the paper to ripple, and the two red lines slid together. "You see, whenever one of your agents retires, I collect him. They can all be very valuable, seeing as they once worked for you."

"Now look here," blustered Steve, "you can't just take over the CIA from me. I've given you free reign since you left, but this? It's downright treachery. It's-"

But whatever it was exactly, Flint didn't want to find out. "You're probably wondering why I came here to show you this. As I said before, I've developed a whole series of magical objects. They can really help your country. I'm willing to help you overcome the evil that you are facing. Even if you don't know it, you country will come under attack. At first, it will be subtle. I am offering you help, before it's too late.

"In the process of discovering this new kind of technology, someone overheard me."

"I think I can find out if my country is in danger or not. Don't you? I don't need any of your magic to help me. You have caused me enough grief to last a lifetime. I'm going to make sure you don't cause me anymore. Tonight will be the last time you are ever seen again."
Sign up to rate and review this story