Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Vicissitude

The Out of Character

by -impervius 1 review

Mikey walks Bree home from the party, with interesting results.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Mikey Way - Published: 2011-02-15 - Updated: 2011-02-15 - 919 words

1Original
Mikey couldn’t help looking around furtively as he and Bree walked down the deserted New Jersey streets in the dead of the night. The area was swimming in crime and he did not feel remotely comforted by the eeriness that the empty streets caused. He half expected a rapist or murder to jump out of every dark alley, so he walked close by Bree, partly out of protectiveness, and partly out of fear for himself.

Silence hung in the air as they wandered the streets in the general direction of Bree’s house. It was making Mikey feel jumpy, so he decided to speak. ‘So, why did you drink so much? You don’t really seem like much of a drinker.’
‘I hate him.’ Bree said flatly, watching a dog barking aggressively at them from behind a fence.
‘Scott?’ Bree nodded in reply. ‘He got to you?’
Bree avoided replying by changing the subject. ‘Why didn’t you drink?’
‘Because I don’t,’ Mikey said shortly.
‘Why not?’
‘Not a good idea.’
‘Why?’
‘Alcoholism runs in the family.’ Mikey said, staring straight ahead.
‘Wanna talk about –’
‘No.’ Bree felt as if she may have annoyed Mikey so she quickly lapsed into silence. They were just starting to get along and she did not want to ruin this.

Some unmeasured amount of time later, they arrived back at Bree’s. She hastily unlocked the door and forced the it open with a push. She turned to see Mikey lingering around the threshold uncertainly.
‘Well, come on then,’ she said. ‘You don’t wanna get mugged, do you?’
Mikey stepped inside. ‘I just thought you might want me to go.’
Bree frowned and shook her head. ‘You’re not walking home alone. This isn’t exactly Connecticut, a bum could jump out of the bushes any minute and steal your wallet and glasses and you wouldn’t be able to find your way home and you’d die in the street.’
Mikey laughed. ‘No one would find me before I died?’
‘You’d be unrecognisable without your glasses.’ Bree replied wisely as she walked towards her bedroom. Mikey frowned at the silliness of the remark but got over it when Bree began to undress, trailing clothes from the hallway into her bedroom.

Mikey realized she must still be a little bit less than sober, but he couldn’t hide the astonishment from his face. ‘What are you doing?’ He couldn’t help but ask.
‘Can’t be bothered getting changed properly,’ her voice replied from her bedroom. Mikey’s eyes raked from the bedroom floor to the pictures on the walls in the hallway. His eyes stopped on the picture of Bree and Jackson’s father playing bass. ‘Who’s this?’ He called to her.
‘Who?’ Bree replied from the bedroom.
‘Playing bass in the picture.’
‘Oh, that’s Dad.’
‘He played bass? That’s awesome.’
‘He was beyond awesome. Wish you could’ve met him. I miss him every day.’ Bree’s voice did not sound shaky or emotional, simply matter of fact. It was clear she had come to terms with her father’s death.

He followed the sound of her voice into her bedroom, where Bree had flopped on the bed and crawled under the covers. ‘I’m so tired,’ she yawned. ‘I wonder if Frank thinks I’m a lunatic.’ She mused.
‘I doubt he does, he’s a bit of one himself.’ Mikey smiled.
‘Really? That’s good.’ Bree replied absentmindedly, obviously drifting off into slumber. Mikey grinned and turned to flick the light switch. As he turned to leave he heard the shifting of the bed covers.
‘Where are you going?’ Bree asked.
‘Sofa looks comfortable.’ He replied.
‘Just stay here.’
Mikey frowned. ‘Are you sure?’
Mikey saw Bree’s outline nod in the darkness. He felt bad. Was he taking advantage of her? Was she sober enough to know what she was doing? She seemed to be. Plus, it was not as if she was asking him to have sex with her, only to sleep in the same bed as her.
‘Please?’ Bree asked. He was not sure why she sounded like she was pleading, or why she did not want to sleep alone that night. Nevertheless, he crawled in next to her, and felt her warm bare skin against his t shirt. Mikey Way slept soundly that night.

~

Bree awoke to find her head resting upon a Joy Division t shirt. She frowned as she slowly recalled the night before. It had not been a dream. Mikey had been nice to her; had even stayed the night in her bed. She could not have seen it coming the night before. In fact, she was sure a mere twelve hours ago she would have been willing to bet money that Mikey would never stay the night with her, or even treat her with anything less than contempt. Apparently, she had been entirely wrong. Last night, he had been more than bearable. Sweet, even. This only confused her.

She felt the body on which she was resting stir, and decided to remain motionless as if she were still sleeping. She felt him shift, and lightly move her body off him. Mikey crawled out of bed and Bree felt a hand stroke at her hair. Then, to her surprise, she heard him walk swiftly from the room, shutting the door behind him.

After this encounter, Bree did not see or hear from Mikey for weeks.
Sign up to rate and review this story