Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > To The End Of The World

Part Two: Helena. Chapter Four

by alligatorpie 0 reviews

The group arrives at the Way's in NJ, and Frank learns some Way family history...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2011-02-21 - Updated: 2011-02-21 - 1289 words

1Moving
Part Two - Helena

Chapter Four - What’s The Worst That I Could Say?

Brian was hasty in canceling the few upcoming shows we had and booking tickets to New Jersey for the whole band. For Bob and me, it was pretty awkward. I’d met Gerard and Mikey’s grandmother a couple times, but back when Ray and Gerard were in college, Ray had gotten pretty close with the whole Way family. Ray was nearly as upset about the whole ordeal as Mikey and Gerard.

Through the whole flight to New Jersey, Gerard and Mikey were both staring out windows. Gerard looked terrible. His face was expressionless, but you could see the pain in his eyes. Mikey looked like he was about to cry. Ray was sitting next to Gerard, picking at a hole in his jeans.

I sat between Mikey and Bob. Bob was somber, doing a crossword puzzle. I would occasionally help by pointing out a word. During that flight, I became sure that even if Bob wasn’t our permanent drummer, he and I would be pretty good friends.

When the plane landed, Gerard and Mikey moved like zombies through the airport. We walked out onto the street, and Gerard led us to his Mom’s minivan. Without saying a word, we all piled in, our bags sitting awkwardly on our laps, due to the lack of room.

Mrs. Way drove us back to her house, the same house that Gerard and Mikey had grown up in. She stopped the car, and while Gerard, Mikey and Ray went through the front door like they owned the place, me, Bob, and Brian all hung back, unsure of what to do.

Mrs. Way smiled at us, and hugged me and Bob.

“I have to say, I really appreciate that you boys would travel all this way to support Gerard and Mikey through this.” She smiled up at us, and then she and Brian started talking. Apparently, Brian was pretty tight with the family, too.

“Bob, Frankie!”

We looked around and saw Mikey in the doorway, beckoning to us. We walked up the path, and followed him into the house. There were pictures of Gerard and Mikey everywhere, everything from school pictures to portraits.

Mikey led us up the stairs to a guest bedroom.

“Bob, you can stay here.” Mikey said. Bob nodded and moved into the room, looking around as he did so.

“And you,” Mikey said, pulling me further down the hall, “are staying in my room.” He opened the door, and I looked around with wonder. There were comics everywhere, and posters of everything from superheroes, to musicians, to movies.

“Wow.” I said.

“You like?” He asked.

“Yeah, I dig it.” I said.

“I must admit, Gerard’s room is cooler.” Mikey said.

As if on cue, Gerard was standing in Mikey’s doorway.

“My room is not cooler than yours.” He scoffed.

“Can I see it?” I asked.

Gerard sighed dramatically. “Follow me.” He stomped down the hallway. Mikey and I followed him, and I was surprised when Gerard led us down the stairs. I glanced at Mikey, but he seemed perfectly at ease.

Gerard led us through the dining room and kitchen, to a door. He opened it, and went down the stairs.

“Dude, you lived in the basement?” I asked as I followed him down the pitch black staircase.

“Yep.” He said. “Watch your step.”

When he reached the bottom of the stairs, he pulled a chain that caused a red light bulb to spread light over the room.

“Whoa.” I said. Like Mikey’s room, the walls were covered with posters, but far more musicians than anything else. Drawing’s were everywhere, too. One poster for Iron Maiden had a replica drawn by Gerard pinned up next to it.

Gerard moved around the room, turning on more lights, all of which were either black lights, or red bulbs.

“There’s only one light bulb with normal color in the room.” Gerard said, flicking on the lamp on his desk. “Whenever I was drawing, I only had this light on, so the colors wouldn’t make me fuck up.”

“This is pretty spectacular, Gerard.” I said. “Do you have more drawings besides the ones on the walls?” I asked.

“Tons.” He said. “You want to see them?”

“No, I was just asking so I could tell you that I don’t want to see them.” I rolled my eyes.

“Mikey!” Mrs. Way called.

“See you guys later.” Mikey called as he walked back up the stairs.

Gerard crouched next to a drawer on the desk and opened it.

“Sit down.” He instructed, gesturing to the chair at the desk.

I sat, and spun around a couple times. He laughed quietly. He stood back up with a folder, with sloppy handwriting across it that said, “September Freshman Year”.

He flicked the folder open, and set it in front of me. I leaned forward interestedly, looking through the 10 or 15 pictures in the folder. Mostly portraits, but occasionally a landscape.

“Did you draw from example?” I asked.

“Um, the portraits were mostly from my imagination, but all the landscapes were from pictures in books at the library.” He said, bent over the drawer again.

“These are surprisingly not fucked up, man.” I said, tracing the features of a beautiful girl.

He laughed.

“Wait till we get to junior year, man, I’m telling you.” He stood back up with a few more folders.

“You like her?” He asked, nodding toward the picture.

“Yeah… There’s something really captivating.” I said.

“I drew her a lot.” He said. “She gets progressively more fucked up as I got older.”

He set another folder in front of me, from the next month.

I watched with wonder as Gerard’s style developed and changed. I saw the girl several more times, never looking very different from the first picture, until Gerard handed me a folder labeled “April Junior Year”.

I flicked it open, and saw the girl, lying naked in the snow, which was red all around her, from blood.

“What…?” I looked at the picture.

“I’m gonna be honest with you, Frank.” Gerard said, and I looked up at him. Pain was visible in his eyes again, and without really thinking about it, I stood up to hug him.

“What, Gee?” I whispered.

“Around my 17th birthday was when my downward spiral spun out of control. That was when I started smoking a lot, rather than occasionally with my friends. I started drinking…”

He looked like he might start crying.

“It’s okay, Gee.” I said.

“Finish looking at the pictures.” Gerard whispered. “Those were the last that I drew until after I turned 18.”

I looked at the rest of the pictures, all showing the same girl in various places of stress and turmoil.

When I’d turned over the last picture and turned around, I saw Gerard sitting on his bed with his head down, turning something over in his hands.

“Gerard?” I whispered. He looked up, and I saw that he was crying.

I stood up, and moved across the room to sit next to him on the bed. I looked down at Gerard’s hands. He was turning a razorblade over in his trembling fingers.

“Ger… Gerard?” I whispered, my voice shaking.

He looked up at me through bloodshot eyes filled with tears, and his hand tightened around the blade.


A/N: I'm sooo sorry it took me so long to update! I've been hella busy with school and stuff. But here this is, and I promise I won't leave you with another cliff-hanger for that long. Rate and Review, my loves!
xxAnna
Sign up to rate and review this story