Categories > Original > Romance > Some Kind of Paradise

Chapter 2

by WaterLovingPyro 0 reviews

Dream a dream of a dream. Lol idk xD.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2011-03-23 - Updated: 2011-03-23 - 1431 words - Complete

0Unrated
When you dream, there’s always that feeling of control. Not so much of the control itself, but the feeling of it slipping, slipping farther and farther from you. You may not necessarily realize that that is what it is; it may feel like something else all together, but the control is always falling away from you. And sometimes…

…it falls into someone else’s hands.

When Kansuke dreamed, he knew that’s what it was immediately. The feeling of heaviness in his limbs, although he never felt it in real life. He was human again, always human, because that’s the only way she could love him, right? As a human. Never as a cat. It was dark all around, anywhere he looked, but below his feet there was a path of glowing lilies. Hadn’t those been her favorite? No…but he had brought her some once, when he wandered into the woods and found a clump of them growing. What had she said about them? No…it was foggy…he couldn’t remember. But it was a happy response, sincerely happy, because he had thought of her, and it was hard enough to get a regular guy to do that, let alone a cat.
Should he humor his dream world and follow the path of lily light? Why the hell not? It was his dream, and it was too boring with all this blackness, scentless and tasteless and just absolutely everywhere, and it was driving him crazy. He stood and moved his body along the trail slowly. Slowly, because he was tired. Slowly, because he was wary.

The path did not end. It went on and on, and Kansuke doubted that it terminated at all. Or maybe he was just walking in circles. Did it matter? If he fell on the ground asleep it might end, but what if the end was just a little farther? So he kept walking.

Forever. That was how it felt to him. Much too long to be thinking, much too long to be walking. Caring and interest had left him, so he did no more than walk. And then the flowers dimmed. It was so slight, that he barely noticed. Their hue just flickered every now and then, reminding him that they were glowing. But that flickering had gotten fainter and fainter. Now that he thought about it, Kansuke could barely see the path ahead of him.

He should have stopped, but that motion seemed counterproductive, so he kept at it. Even when the light ahead of him was gone, and the light behind him had faded. The dark weighed on him so heavily. Sometimes he knelt forward due to its extreme, crushing pressure, other times he felt as if he were floating through a great colorless cavern. Never once did he stop. Even with his ears perked and nose twitching, he could not hear nor smell anything. He tasted only the inside of his mouth, and he did not stop to see if the ground had feeling to his hands (for it did not to his feet), because he was afraid of what he may find.

When he saw the light, it was so sudden; that he could not recall the time it had not been there. There had been dark and then…light. But it was as if the light had always been in his presence, as if it was he who had not looked for it, his fault that he could not see it. At least there was some comfort in the fact that he could see his feet again. There were ripples where he walked, which meant that he was walking on some sort of water. Still, he could not feel the liquid. As he approached the source of light, he noted that it was a pendant of some kind, a diamond shaped stone that glowed eerily. The glow was blue (or maybe white); it called to Kansuke, drawing him closer. The chain was thin and delicate, like it would shatter if you so much as breathed on it. The diamond was about an inch long, sharp and pointed at both ends.

Something in Kansuke’s gut told him not to touch it. But it was his dream, and he wanted to get this over with. When he reached for it, though, a clear voice rang out, sweet like a tinkling bell and soft as silk. Do you wish to find your Paradise? It asked.

Kansuke smiled, humored by this question. I wish a lot of things. Not all of them can happen. Tell me, mysterious one, do you have the power to show me my Paradise? The voice took its time in replying, like it was debating his question, turning it over in its head before finding a valid response. I can show you it…if you wish it, the reply came, equally as soft. Kansuke could have sworn that he had heard the voice before. Perhaps it was Sakura, or maybe Shirayuki. It was not decidedly female, just a tender and pretty voice. He looked at the crystal, his eyes filled with longing. Very well, my friend. Show me my Paradise, so that I may reach it, some way…

He closed his hand around the crystal, and immediately a vibrant glow illuminated the darkness, swallowing Kansuke into it.

When his vision cleared, Kansuke found himself back on top of Hisui's bridge. It was a gorgeous sunset; like something an artist would die to paint. Before Kansuke could gather his thoughts, he heard a sound from beneath the bridge that turned his blood to ice.

“So…why’d you bring me here, Tsubame-kun?”

Yumi’s voice. Yumi’s voice. And then Tsubame’s, although Kansuke was too frozen in horror to hear his reply. Why was he here? Why was Yumi here, too?

Hang on a second, wasn’t this supposed to be his Paradise?

Kansuke leapt from the roof of the bridge, still in his human form. He turned around to see Yumi, leaning close to Tsubame in an overly friendly fashion. They both were smiling, and Yumi had that oh-so-adorable blush tinting her cheeks. Tsubame put one hand on either side of Yumi’s face and whispered quietly, “I love you, Yumi.”

Kansuke’s breathing stopped at this.

When Yumi said, “Me too,” so softly, Kansuke’s throat closed and his heart stopped.

And when Tsubame leaned closer to Yumi and gently kissed her, Kansuke lost it.

He screamed – a feral sounding yowl that could have torn the sky open with its misery. He could not stop the wails for the life of him; the feeling of despair and betrayal that he felt could not be contained inside his soul. He clawed at his face, his eyes; anything that would erase the image seared into his memory, scorching him everytime he closed his eyes. Blood ran from the cuts, which had deepened into gashes. Its bitter, metallic taste filled his mouth, and its putrid scent stung his nose.

Why couldn’t they hear his cries? Why couldn’t they see his intense suffering?

Unable to handle their love for each other, Kansuke rushed at them, knowing only that he could not bear the sight a second longer. Yet, as soon as he got close to them, he could not reach the two. An invisible wall held him back. Somehow, it deflected his fury and utter desolation, rebounding it back onto himself, so that he had no other choice but to watch Yumi kiss Tsubame truly and with her whole heart. Kansuke could not touch them, and he was not a part of their world.

Or so he thought.

Tsubame drew away from Yumi momentarily. He whispered in her ear, his tone concerned. “What will we do about Kansuke?” Yumi looked into Tsubame's eyes and sighed, holding the boy closer to her.

“What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him. Besides, if he doesn’t like it, then he can go live out on the street.”

A whole new feeling of betrayal swept over Kansuke. Did she really think that? Was he truly so unimportant to her? Kansuke shook his head, unwilling to accept this as fact. He backed away, jaw wide open in disbelief, arms wrapped around his small form. He whispered so softly and quietly, to the voice, to himself, to the world.

“This…this is not my Paradise. Do you hear?! THIS IS NOT MY PARADISE!!!"


---------

Dun dun dun...
I'm such a sicko xD. Pairing a cat person with their owner...
Sign up to rate and review this story