Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > One for the Road

Babe in the Nursery

by AirCATX 0 reviews

The family becomes one

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-05-01 - Updated: 2011-05-02 - 1955 words

0Unrated
Because of the heavy anesthesia, Calyx merely skimmed the surface of consciouness. At times her eyes would open and she could speak, but within five minutes had no recollection of the conversation. Hospital accommodations kindly gave her a solitary room and allowed the three men to keep watch while she slept.

Mikey and Frank took the biggest shifts with Ray assisting where he could, mainly this was because Mikey insisted on watching her and occasionally checking on the baby downstairs in the nursery. After the necessary paperwork, bands and certificates filed, they were left to wait patiently for Gerard to arrive or Calyx to come out of it.

Frank woke uncomfortably wedged between an awkward chair and the wall. It was painful to stretch and pop his back and neck, afterward he felt looser but sore. Pulling aside the privacy curtain, he saw Calyx sleeping calmly on her back, and Mikey slouched in his chair over her bed, using some of his arm and her leg.

"Mikey, wake up." He prodded. No response, so he shook his shoulder lightly. "Hello in there? Houston do we have contact?" Calyx's eyes fluttered open.

"Apollo, we read you."

"Sorry, love, I was trying to wake him up."

She moved her leg gently so his head could slide onto his arm, but winced instantly in pain.
"Wow, now that's a sensation I've never felt before." Frank lifted the IV bag next to her and noticed it was low.

"I'll go get a nurse. You want some coffee too, ill head downstairs." She nodded sleepily, obviously trying to focus away the throbbing in her abdomen.

"Any word yet?" Frank checked his phone.

"Should be soon, Brian texted me a little while ago and I've been giving Gerard updates on you guys. He seems really upset he couldn't be here." Her expression shook it off.

"Whatever, ill chew him out when he gets here. At least Mikey was with me, and she's okay. I heard them say she's ready to go when I am."

"Yep, she's healthy and active. They said even though she's early, everything developed so she should do great. She weighs 8 pounds, 3 ounces and a strong neck too." Calyx smiled with her eyes closed, feeling the first pride of motherhood and relief everything was okay. Frank held her hand and gave a small kiss on the cheek. "Good job, mama. Now just heal up and we can go home." He laughed awkwardly, knowing it a peculiar statement. She ignored it.

"That's when the real fun begins."

"Don't worry about it now. You got all of us to help you. Hey Sunshine, you want anything from downstairs?" Mikey sat back and performed the crooked series of pops Frank did too. Everyone looked sore and tired from the last 20 hours.

"Three guesses and its made with caffeine."

"Tea it is." Frank laughed as he left the curtained area, aware if the glare he was receiving. Mikey wiped the fogginess from his eyes, and stood up to stretch his legs.

"How'r you feeling?" He checked her IV as well, straightened her blanket and then sat attentively at her side when she playfully scolded him.

"You fuss too much, I'm doing fine. Considering I just had a baby ripped out of me, a bit of minor indigestion to be expected."

"Pfft, I know its worse than that you big baby. You're allowed to complain a little bit y'know."

"I'm saving your patience with me until were back on the bus. That's gonna be the hard part. I hope your prepared for the nights of crying and sleepless. Hopefully, we won't get in the way. Maybe we can work something out, I don't know. Oh, nothing planned out, I need Gerard here." She bemoaned into her hands in a moment of despair. Mikey caressed her ARM and pulled her hands away when shed spent enough time hiding.

"Things could be worse, you just got to let go and know your going to be fine. Like Frank always says, have some faith it just works out. At least you'll have plenty of hands helping. You're definitely not alone, even without G here, you got me." She relaxed and it was apparent another wave of pain killers took hold, but she smiled meekly before closing her eyes, squeezing his hand.

"Thanks, hon, you're-" she trailed off with her head still erect leaning to the side. Mikey remained quiet watching her breathing slow rhythmically and slid a wisp of her chocolate hair behind her ear. The silence of the hospital filled the room except for the sound of Ray snoring outside the curtain. Feeling brave with secrecy, Mikey leaned in and kissed her warm cheek, lingering a moment to feel the heat of her skin. Calyx unconsciously mumbled incoherently which frightened him off the bed. Standing next to her his heart pounding nervously, he took a deep sigh when she merely rolled her face imperceptibly towards the direction of the sensation. Leaning in again, he silently stole a kiss, closing his eyes to imagine having her like this in reality.

He ran a finger along her jaw and kissed her again bravely, even feeling her lips move against his. But not wanting to wake her fully, he pulled away and sat in the chair to try settling his anxiously shaking legs. His heart jumped when he heard the door crack, and jumped up to check but no one was there.

He sighed relief. Not wanting to think about what he just did, he left the room and walked down the bustling hall towards the elevator. His toe continued to tap nervously while he waited for the doors to open. As they did, he nearly choked on a cough when Gerard still dressed in the outfit he'd seen him leave in engulfed his brother in a hug.

"Ah, Mikey its so go to see you. Thank you so much for taking care of her." Frank slid past the brothers and handed Mikey his coffee but wouldn't meet his eyes in a peculiar way, or so Mikey thought. "Where is she? Mikes, what's up?" He shook it off and took a gulp of sweetened caffeine.

"Nothing, just tired. She just went back to sleep, but let's go bring her in." Mikey led the way to the nursery with Frank bringing up the rear quietly. At the window, Gerard scanned the sea of babies for a familiar face while Mikey talked to the nurse. She slid the incubator out, and cradled the swaddled infant in her broad arms.

"Want to lead the way?" Gerard stepped up to the nurse.

"Can I see 'em?" She protectively held her face close to her breast and looked at Mikey for approval, Gerard did look like a late-night aftermath with his disheveled black hair and leather jacket.

"Is this your brother?" He nodded and added incredulously.

"This is her father, he just got off the train." Both the nurse and Gerard's faces looked surprised. She mouthed a word, but then handed the bundle to Gerard who's eyes glimmered with delight as they looked down at his daughter for the first time.

"It's a little girl?" He breathed happily, Frank finally brightened and hugged his shoulders. "Hey, there princess. Look at that hair!" He pushed the blanket away and fingered her fine black hair. "And her little lips, those are Caly's for sure. Look!" The infant sleepily grabbed his index finger and held on firmly, settling down again without letting go. He let her hold it a second but needed to wipe at his eyes. "Shit guys," he sniffed. "This is fuckin' intense. Thanks for watching out for her."

"Want to know what Caly named her?" Mikey asked. "Sawyer Helena Lee Way-Welsh,"

"After grandma?"

"And her great-grandmother, Helen." For once Gerard didn't say anything while his mind worked, but gently cradled the tiny form. Without words, Mikey again led the way knowing he wanted to see Calyx.

When all three men, infant, and incubator came rolling into the room, Calyx woke up immediately. Being greeted by both Gerard and Sawyer, the anger in her face melted away and she smiled grandly. Without even saying hello, he swept in and kissed her lovingly with their little one between them. He gave her praises between kisses which the others couldn't hear standing back, but although watching Calyx reunite with Gerard was a lovely sight, Mikey's stomach turned jealously.

"You doing alright, Mikey?" Frank asked suspiciously, his arms crossed while sipping his coffee. "Look like somethings on your mind."

"No, I'm fine. Just glad G's back, I'm proud of him." Sawyer erupted into a loud lungful cry which summoned a wet nurse almost immediately. She bustled about, taking Sawyer and instructed Calyx to unbuttoned her frock.

Frank, Mikey and Ray who awoke to the cry, exited the room to give the young couple privacy. Ray took Mikey's coffee and finished it then gave his curls a shake.

"Man you travel with a pillow that doesn't even need combing." Frank admired. The three of them took up chairs outside the room, Ray stood to stretch his muscles.

"Combing would fuck it up, man. You just gotta let it do what it do." The nurse from the nursery walked up on them while they had a laugh. Folder and clipboard in hand, she sat next to Mikey.

"Mr. Way I need to straighten out a few things we got confused." He leaned in with her, but Frank also listened close behind.

"What is it?" She pulled out Sawyers birth certificate on her lap and Mikey noticed the mistake too, they had his name as the father not Gerard.

"Well, we assumed you were with Ms. Welsh when you came in. Things get so confused these days, but is it correct your brother, Gerard Way, right, is the father? We got to get this straight because it could lead to bit mistakes you see. Can you fill this out, and well take new prints." She handed him a small stack of papers reiterating, Gerard not Mikey Way was the father. She left him to fill out the papers, and fetched Gerard for his signature.
"Just these few Sir, then well be all fixed. Sorry about that, our mistake." She chirped about Gerard, taking the copies Mikey finished signing.

"No problem, that could've been awkward later on, huh?" He laughed dismissively and then took the papers back into the room where Calyx was feeding Sawyer.

"Yeah, could've been awkward right, Mikes." Franks snippety comment finally caught Mikey the wrong way and he eyed him back. He sipped at his coffee like nothing he said was peculiar, but then Mikey noticed the lid hiding a smirk.

"What do you mean?" Frank shook his head and patted Mikey's back.

"Oh, nothing, family man." He stood and left Mikey staring after him. His mind began to tick wondering what Franks deal was. Even if he was merely suspicious he felt anything for Calyx, would he just play this side game or tell Gerard? Gerard was his brother, though if he thought something was going on, Mikey knew he would confront him first. His mind rambled on and on.
Frank knocked heavily on the door and opened it slowly, creating a familiar pop.

"Shield your fun bags, Uncle Frankies coming in!" He disappeared into the room.

"You alright, Mikey?" Ray asked sympathetically taking the seat next to him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why is everyone asking me that?" Mikey stalked off in frustration, leaving Ray amiss and feeling like he missed out on something. Instead of dwelling on it, he snatched up Franks abandoned coffee and finished it, deciding not to worry about inner group dynamics.
Sign up to rate and review this story