Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Sharpest Lives are the Deadliest to Lead.

Chapter 1. Well it rains and it pours when you're out on your own

by hollie443 1 review

some friendly help away from trouble.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2011-05-05 - Updated: 2011-05-05 - 2436 words

1Original
The sun’s glare made my eyes narrow into slits and I began to fish in the glove compartment for some sort of shield. The solution came in the form of aviators that I had thrown in earlier in a rage. I had been traveling the whole day, determined to get as far away from Atlanta as I possible could. It wouldn’t be long before the police caught up with me which meant I would have to change cars soon. Or maybe just dump this one and walk and hitch everywhere. I sighed, glancing in the rear view every now and then, as though looking back at my troubled past, but I knew there was more to come.

I put my foot on the gas and accelerated up the highway, heading north. The sun was hitting the side of my face but it was still really annoying. I was well through a few states now and I stopped off for gas at a station and quickly started filling the tank. I was insanely thankful that I had stolen my officer’s wallet which was full of cash. I wandered into the shop to pay and decided to take a nosey around the place, get some munches and maybe buy a hat. Those are good disguises. I walked quietly around and threw crisps, chocolate, donuts and a baseball cap that said New York Yankies on it on the counter. I waited impatiently for the cashier to scan the items. My eyes settled on a road map that was on a stand right next to me. I was suddenly struck with an idea and put it on the pile of things I was buying along with a pen that actually worked. I quickly moved to my car and stuck my hat on while I circled a few places on the west coast. Places that a 22 year old would want to run to. I dumped the map on the passenger seat along with the pen. It was time to abandon this banger of a car and get the hell out of here.

I leant against the car trying to think how I could get somewhere. I couldn’t use that car anymore. That would be a suicide mission. I would be found too easily. I kicked the car and walked away from the car. I picked up the bag of goodies I bought and secured the hat on my head. That would have to do until I could get hair dye to at least try and disguise myself. I walked back into the gas station and went into the bathroom. I slashed some of the yucky ice cold water in my face and looked at myself in the mirror. My brown hair was thrown in a messy ponytail and under a hat. It was long, coming way down past my waist and that was it slightly wavy. I would most likely have to cut it soon. It was one of my trademarks. I focused back on my face. My eyes were icy blue but had gold flecks through them. They looked empty lately. Like I was missing something inside of me. I looked so haunted and unhappy. My long eyelashes framed them making me look like one of those horrible china dolls. The thick, slightly smudged eyeliner that framed them made them look chilling and ghostly, almost dead. I moved back, examining my tiny frame. I was barely 5’ 2” and I was very skinny. But that was most likely a mixture of neglecting myself and having a supersonic metabolism. But I had clothes that fit me anyway… well sorta. My skinnies weren’t really skinnies on my little, slim legs. More like straight legged jeans. I couldn’t help it, that was how I am. I may be small and appear defenceless but there were little things that gave me a slightly tougher look to me. Well the tattoos that were on show for one. I looked at them with a smile. They were part of me now. I could imagine myself without them. I looked down at my slim wrist and my eyes met the tattoos that were there. On one wrist it read: “In Love” and on the other: “In Death”. I also had a big phoenix up my back and it came right to my shoulder in all it’s fiery glory. I was impressive and it feel it defined me as a person. Who I was. I also had a famous quote by Marilyn Monroe on the other ribcage that wasn’t covered by the phoenix and a Shakespeare quote on my left inner bicep. Finally I had a word in Russian on my other shoulder that wasn’t covered by the phoenix. I never breathed a word as to what it meant. No one knew. It was my secret, my curse if you will. What I was or what I could have been. Either way it was for my knowledge only.

I shrugged my black leather jacket that was hanging around my waist on my tiny frame, covering my large array of tattoos, especially my phoenix which could easily identify me. It was only a cropped jacket but at least it covered my back. The only hint of the now hidden tattoos was the dark outlines shining through my white vest. The door swung easily open as I pushed it to walk out into the main shop. I could feel my parole officer’s wallet in my pocket. I couldn’t keep a hold of that. It would be too risky and if they tracked the card to the last sale I would be fucked before I had even started. I walked back into the sun, moving my hat down further, to block the sun’s annoying glare. I walked back over to the car for the last time, got the snacks out of it and locked the keys in the car. I took the wallet out of my pocket and discarded it in the nearby bin along with my old cell phone. I was going to keep it but the possibilities of them being able to track it were to great. It was an old, brick of a phone anyway.

I paced out to the busy road and observed my surroundings. There wasn’t anything for miles which obviously meant I couldn’t walk anywhere. I would need to go by a vehicle of some description. But out here in the middle of no where. That was a lot to ask and there aren’t many choices for hitchhiking. I walked back under the big canopy and sat down right at the corner of the gas station building, praying something would come along. I brought my knees up to my chest and stared glassily at the ground.
“You are either finding the ground very interesting or you’re havin’ a bad day”
The voice snapped me out of my distant dream and I looked up to find where the gruff, male voice came from. The man was quite tall and had a belly on him. His hair, though most of it was hidden under a hat was clearly going gray and he had thick stubble growing.
“You could say that.”, I grumbled.
“You’re boyfriend leave you stranded?” I shook my head.
“You’re not a prostitute that got turned down are you?”
“Fuck no!”, I exclaimed looking back up at him, a little shocked.
“Thank god for that! Well whatever is wrong, you look like you need to go somewhere.” I nodded at him. “where? “
“Anywhere. I’m just looking for a ticket to anywhere but here.”, I told him, looking around for some parked cars that could offer me some means of transport.
“Come on, get your ass of the ground.”, he told me, half dragging me up as I flailed to get off the tarmac.
He started walking off in the direction of where the trucks were parked and I frowned. I stopped and looked at him.
“You want a ride?”, he asked as my heart sailed. But I knew I had to find out where.
“Where are you headed?”
“North. I can only take you so far but you’ll be away from this hell hole. You up for it?” I could have hugged him. I didn’t care if it was risky. What did I have to lose really? My life could be over by the next week and this guy seemed nice and helpful.
“That would be really awesome…”, I realized I didn’t know his name.
“It’s Bobby. And you are?”
“Ellouise. And I bring snacks.” I told him waving the bag at him.
“Why didn’t you just show me the bag instead of all this small talk. We would have got things done a lot faster!”, he chuckled and opened the truck.
I laughed a little myself as I got in the passenger door. It was quite a climb for my small frame.
At the click of our seatbelts and a fizz of a can the lorry pulled out of the gas station bond northward.
“So…” ,Bobby’s voice sounded through the short silence, “Are you going to tell me the reason you are on the run with nothing more that the clothes you have on your back? No lying now. I can tell a liar a mile off. And I swear I wont throw you out.”
I sighed loudly and took a sip of my can. I began to tell the story of how I went from a troubled young girl to an (alleged) criminal offender. A fugitive you could say

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bobby let out a heavy breathe, clearly taking everything in. I had been tell my story for a long time, almost numbly. Not really registering what I was telling him, not thinking twice about the happenings of my life. I braced myself for him emergency stopping the big lorry and throwing me out… but he didn’t. He kept driving.
“Well, that’s quite a story you have there Ellouise. So much trouble for one young girl. Half of it doesn’t even seem like your fault.”
I huffed a little, considering what he said.
“Well the other half was me. But I swear I didn’t kill that man.” , I left out my whole situation with the vampires and the fact that it was a vampire I supposedly killed.
“You know, maybe I’m going soft in my old age. However! That does not affect my ability to read people well. I believe you. You just don’t look like the killer type.”, he gave a small smile and bit into the last donut.
I simply nodded and looked out the window. I didn’t have it in me to do something like that. My eyes drifted out over the upcoming city and the sign welcoming us to Jersey City, NJ caught my eye. I looked over at Bobby who was taking the exit down to it.
“This is as far as I can take you chick. I have to go right to my depot in record time after this.”, Bobby told me.
I nodded as the lorry came to a stop on a quiet gas station which was well populated around it.
“Watch yourself around this part of town. It’s not got the best reputation and I would much prefer to drop you off somewhere else but I’m running out of time.”
“It’s okay Bobby” I told him, opening the door, “I appreciate all your help.”
He gave me a beaming smile.
“Thanks for keeping me company for that long journey.”
I jumped down out of the lorry.
“Oh and Ellouise.”
I turned and looked up.
“I hope the police don’t find you. You don’t deserve what happened to you. I hope you find what you are looking for.”
I didn’t say anything and frowned but I waved as he drove off. I didn’t tell him I was looking for anything. Maybe it was a lorry drivers intuition or something… god only knows.

As I walked down the quiet street. I heard a low grumble and looked up at the ever darkening sky. My face met with some very big raindrops.
“Just fucking perfect!”, I exclaimed, wrapping my cropped leather jacket closer to be and kept on walking, grumbling to myself all the while.

I must have walked for about 10 minutes and by that point I was completely soaked to the bone and shivering. This was not a good start for me. I was completely broke with no access to money, having spent all of it on those supplies that I left with Bobby. My eyes locked on a small, friendly looking café on the corner of a street. They didn’t look like they would kick me out if I went and sat in there until the rain went off. I walked across the road and into the warm café. It was quite quiet I noted as I made my way over to a table in the far corner from the door. I squelched a little as I walked across the floor and sat down after getting so wet. The waitresses must have got the idea that I was feeling sorry for myself and didn’t disturb me. I must have been a state. My face would be streaming black eyeliner from the heavy stuff I wore around my eyes. My hair was even soaking through the hat I was wearing so I tossed it in the bin. It was useless now.

I don’t know how long I sat there, wishing I had money to buy some food and a drink, staring at the table wondering what I was going to do. I heard the door chime as someone walked in but didn’t bother looking up, not even paying attention to the conversation whoever it was was having with the waitresses. I didn’t really care either. I was debating whether or not to go and walk back into the rain but footsteps coming closer made me stay where I was.
A coffee cup was set down in front of me. I frowned.
“Here, you look like you need this.” A male voice interrupted my confusion.
I brought my eyes up to see who it was that had pretty much saved my life with this cup of coffee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So Guys R&R! Let me know what you think! This is my first story so any advice would be great!
Sign up to rate and review this story