Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Surviving High School

~*~....He's Back....~*~

by Rebel009 1 review

Chapter Eight

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome - Published: 2006-05-25 - Updated: 2006-05-26 - 1699 words

-1Illiterate
Chapter Eight

"So let me get this straight," Inuyasha said, running a hand through his hair. "The Lexus isn't your's, you were just watching it for someone?" Kagome laughed.

"That's right. The car belongs to one of my mother's friends. She was out of town for the past couple of days and asked if we could take care of it. I'm going to return it right now." she said as she walked into her driveway.

"How are you going to get back?" he asked.

"Easy, I'm going to jog." Kagome was dressed in gray sweat pants, white tank top, and running sneakers, her hair in a high ponytail. She also had a small backpack which carried her walkman, a water bottle, and her video camera which she never went anywhere without.

"It's a good two miles and I need to run off my fat." She patted her stomach which was absolutely flat. Inuyasha raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms.

"Kag, you're a stick, you weigh practically nothing. You don't need to lose weight."

"Aww, that's so sweet." she said, and kissed him on the cheek. "But you lie." Inuyasha rolled his eyes, wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her.

"Fine, fine, go for your run. I gotta work tonight, so I'll see you at school tomorrow." he said.

"Okay," Kagome climbed into the SUV and drove away.
**************************
Kagome was about five blocks away from her house. It had taken her a little more than an hour and the sun had already set. The orange glow from the streetlights illuminated random spots on the pavement as she ran down the sidewalk, her breathing slightly heavier than normal. Swimming practice had helped her with her endurance.

Suddenly a trash can flew out from a dark alley and almost whacked her over the head. Kagome stopped, turned off her walkman, and put it in her backpack. She walked over to the alley and peeked inside. It was dark, she could hardly see anything, but she could hear just fine.

"Please, Naraku. I promise to get you the money, I don't get my paycheck until next week," came a frightened man's voice. Naraku!! Kagome gasped softly. Her stepfather?

"I don't want any of your excuses. I gave you the crack, I want my money, now!!" a deep voice boomed. Kagome shivered, she knew that voice. It was most definitely her step father. But what was he doing? Crack? Could he have possibly escalated from alcohol to drugs? Was he a dealer?

Now, Kagome was a very bright girl, and had plenty of common sense. But at this particular moment, she decided to disregard all of that. She pulled out her video camera and zoomed in on the two figures. Naraku was standing over a frail older man who was crouched on the ground.

"Naraku, please, I beg of you." he pleaded. Naraku shook his head.

"Sorry, Conner. You've been in debt for far too long." Naraku pulled out a gun from his coat pocket, placed a silencer on the barrel and shot Conner in the head. Kagome almost shrieked at this sight of the murder, but decided to run for her life instead. Inuyasha's apartment was closest, but he wasn't home. She prayed that Naraku hadn't seen her.

In five minutes, she crashed through the front door and locked it. She pulled down the blinds and turned out most of the lights except for one in the living room. Where was her family? There was a note on the refrigerator.

"Dear Kagome,

Sorry sweetie, but I got called out of town for business for the rest of the week. Grandpa went go visit a friend in America and took Souta with him. Why don't you go spend the week with Inuyasha? See you soon.

Love, Mom"


Kagome's heart was racing. She had just witnessed a murder, she knew the murderer. And worst of all, the murderer knew her, knew where she lived and no one was around to protect her. She set the camera on the side table, unaware that in her fear, she had forgotten to turn it off. She sat on the couch, pulled a cushion to her chest and hugged it fiercely. She prayed that no one would come through that door tonight.

Hours past and Kagome was starting to drift off to sleep. Suddenly the door knob started to turn. The lock clicked, the door opened. There stood Naraku, eyes almost red with anger. Kagome screamed and tried to run away. Naraku grabbed her by the wrist and pinned her to the wall.

"That was pretty smart, Kagome dear, tape recording all that shit. Guess you know my little secret. I suppose being drunk lost all it's sport." He picked her up and threw her against the wall. Kagome winced and slid down to the floor. Naraku grabbed her chin roughly.

"I know a lot about you. Like your engagement to that hanyou brat." He slapped her across the face. "Where is he now? He isn't here to save you like last time." Naraku picked up a flower vase and threw it down. Kagome dodged, saving her head, but small pieces of glass stuck into her arms and hands. She stood up.

"You're the only one who knows about Conner. I suggest you never tell anyone, especially Inuyasha." He hit her hard on the back, causing her to fall into the broken glass. "You wouldn't want anything bad to happen to your fiancé now would you?" Naraku kicked Kagome in the ribs, she coughed up a small amount of blood. He smirked and walked out the door.

At that moment, Kagome did something that she hadn't done in a long time, not ever since the death of her father. In all her pain and fear, she buried her head in her arms and cried.
***************************
Inuyasha had called Kagome early the next morning to see if she needed a ride to school, but no one answered the phone. He assumed that she had either caught a lift from Sango, or walked. When he reached the school, he was surprised to see Sango and Miroku near the steps, but no Kagome. The entire day went by, and still there was no sign of his girlfriend.

"That's odd," Inuyasha said as he was walking towards the parking lot.

"What is?" Sango asked.

"Kagome wasn't in school today."

"Maybe she's sick." Miroku suggested. Inuyasha shook his head.

"No, she seemed just fine last night and she just got over her cold. She wouldn't have another one already. And besides, no answered the phone when I tried to call."

"Well, go to her house and see for yourself." Sango said as she and Miroku headed towards her car.

"Yeah, see you later, guys."

Inuyasha could barely keep his concentration on the road as he sped towards Kagome's house. It wasn't like her to skip school, and she didn't seem sick yesterday. And why wasn't she answering the phone? Thousands of worst case scenarios ran through his mind as he pulled into the driveway. Mrs. Higurashi's car was gone. All of the blinds were drawn, the house looked completely dark. Perhaps they had left to go on vacation? No, she would have at least left a message at his apartment if she were going away.

He ran up to the door and rang the doorbell. He could hear some scuffling, and then silence. He rang the doorbell again, nothing.

"Come on, Kagome. I know you're in there. Open the door, it's me Inuyasha." He heard someone walk towards the door, it never opened.

"Go Away!!" Kagome cried.

"Kagome?! Kagome, are you okay?" he shouted. It sounded like she was....crying?

"Just go away!!"

"Kagome, please open the door. Tell me what's wrong. Come on, kid. Open the door." Nothing happened. "Kag, please. You're scaring me, just open the door." Finally, Inuyasha could hear the doors unlock. He slowly turned the knob and opened the door. He gasped.

Kagome was standing in the middle of the hallway wearing plaid pajama bottoms and a large, green sweater jacket. On the left side of her face was a big, black bruise close to her eye. But it wasn't the bruise that made him gasp, it was her face. She looked absolutely terrified, completely pale and she was shaking.

Inuyasha took a step towards her, Kagome backed up, that hurt. She was scared ....of him.

"Kagome, what happened?" he asked gently. She looked down at the ground. He walked towards the frail girl and embraced her in his arms, cradling her head to his chest. He sighed with relief when she wrapped her arms around his neck. He could fear tears soaking through his shirt.

"Shh...It's okay...I'm right here. No one's going to hurt you." he whispered in her ear. He rubbed her back and she stiffened. Inuyasha gently lifted up the back of the jacket, there was another bruise. Her arms and hands were covered with cuts and scrapes, one side of her stomach was completely purple.

"Oh God," he whispered. "Kagome, who did this to you?" She sniffed.

"Naraku," she croaked. "He's back."

He picked her up in his arms, Kagome was still shaking like a leaf. He carried her into the bedroom and placed her on the desk chair. He didn't take out the small duffle bag that she used went she spent a few days at her apartment. He grabbed a suitcase, two of them. He started putting books and other possessions he knew were important to her. He was thankful when she started packing her clothes.

He quickly put the luggage in his trunk, and ran back in the house where Kagome was putting on her flip flops. He wrapped his arms around her waist and guided her to the car. There was no way in hell he was going to let her stay in this house. He would talk to her mother, she would agree with his judgment. If not, he would go and kill Naraku himself to make sure his fiancé was safe.

(A/N: And now we are back to the real story. Do you likey? 009)
Sign up to rate and review this story