Categories > Original > Fantasy > My Amalie

Vampire Physiology

by SweetSarmoti 0 reviews

Lucius explains vampire physiology.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2006-05-26 - Updated: 2006-05-27 - 652 words - Complete

0Unrated
Title: My Amalie: Chapter Two: Vampire Physiology
Author: Ophelia
Rating: PG
Summary: Lucien explains vampire physiology.
Warning(s): Extensive talk of blood.
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to ME.
Notes: It DOES get better...

~*~

There are myths and legends of vampires dating from a time before Atlantis sank into the sea. Some of those legends are more popular than others, such as those of Vlad the Impaler, also knows as Dracula, and Elizabeth Bathory, the blood countess. In truth Vlad the Impaler was no vampire and Elizabeth Bathory was a mortal woman who liked to bathe in the blood of young girls. However, most of the other legends are true. Vampires reside in every country around the world. Though each vampire has a story all his or her own, there are some things about them all, vampire physiology, that are always the same.

The greatest thing vampires have in common, the thing they are most known for, is the need for blood. Blood has long been a symbol of life and death. Therefore it seems logical, even appropriate, for a being that is both dead and alive to consume the blood of mortals. For a vampire, the blood is the life. However, the need for blood does decrease with age.

Fangs are another of the common attributes of the vampire. Since vampires need blood, they must also have some means of getting it. Wolves use their fangs to tear open the flesh of their prey. Vampire fangs are used in much the same way. Most often they make two small puncture wounds in the neck, then pull their fangs out to drink. Contrary to popular belief, vampires do not drink blood with their teeth. Sometimes, to make it look more like and animal attack, vampires rip out the throats of their victims. Either way, a vampire's fangs are very useful.

Vampires have great physical strength. No mortal has even a fraction of a vampire's strength. Strength is directly related to vampiric speed and the rumored ability to fly. In fact, vampires have never been able to fly, which is partly due to the fact that they do not have wings. Instead of flying, vampires use their insurmountable strength to jump high enough to catch a wind current that will take them to their desired destination.

Skin is another matter of great importance to vampires. Nature decrees that vampire skin is very smooth, although, like human skin, it is a variety of hues. Vampires who, as mortals, had light skin are, as vampires, absolutely white and must take great care to cover their paleness before appearing among mortals. However, dark skinned mortals who are given the gift of vampirism often pass among mortals without fear of pale skin giving away their true nature. Vampire skin is also much more sensitive than that of mortals. The slightest contact with vampire skin can have them writhing in pain or pleasure.

Vampire senses are highly acute. Although they do not see farther than a human with 20/20 vision or have X-ray vision, vampires can see details better than humans. Hearing and smell are also useful for vampires. They can hear or smell a potential victim or enemy from miles away.

Vampires have few weaknesses. Among these are the sun's light, fire sterility religious symbols or objects, and bright lights. While religious symbols and bright lights will not kill vampires, they do make them very uncomfortable. Vampires are, for the most part, unable to have children. Occasionally vampires breed with humans but the offspring produced is most often a hybrid and is promptly destroyed to prevent the creation of a new race. Very seldom does a vampire survive being in the sun's direct light, although the oldest vampires can survive, but are badly burned.

This is vampire physiology as it was explained to me on the night of December 24, 1855, the night I became a vampire. And this is my story.
Sign up to rate and review this story