Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

Drenched In My Pain Again

by MCRlover27 2 reviews

Even after seven years, Gerard is still torn apart every September because of his little brother's unfortunate death.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Published: 2011-06-29 - Updated: 2011-06-29 - 1074 words - Complete

1Moving
Hey guys! This is my first fanfic, so sorry if it's crap. The lyrics are Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day, although I've had to change around some words and skip the last two verses in order to fit in with the story. If it's a little depressing, sorry, but happy stories aren't really my style. Please rate and comment, thank you!

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends


My shoes scrape against the ground as I walk slowly down the cemetery, scuffing up dirt with every step down the worn down path I take. A cold breeze blows and I have to brush my bright red hair out of my hazel eyes and wrap my jet black coat around me, although I know the cold guilt and empty sadness coming from my heart is impossible to stop. Looking down at the dirt track as I walk past the gravestones of all these innocent people keep me from turning around, running back to my car, and driving home to my wife and beautiful baby girl. However, I know I must not do that, as it is disrespectful to the soul of my baby brother, who I know is watching me.

Like my brother has come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends


After a while of walking, blinking tears out of my eyes, and shivering in the breeze, I stop and look up. I have been here so much during these past seven years that I know where his grave is without having to look, but so much has changed. When it first got here, the epitaph was plain and clear, standing out among the bushes and flowers his family and friends left for him. Now seven years of tears and rain has made the writing a little more faded, and the only flowers are from me, my mother, my father, and Alicia. Everyone else has forgotten, although the epitaph is still fairly clear if someone wants to come and read it.

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are


As if mourning the death of my little brother, the clouds turn grey and the rain falls, plopping in my hair and running the gravestone like tears. Unable to believe he was taken away from me when I, Gerard, his older brother and supposed-to-be-protector, crashed the car and killed him on impact. My heart was almost crushed as well, but the doctors saved me. However, when they gave me the bad news, I’d have given anything at that point to have died instead of my brother.
It should have been me... I am so sorry, It comes out as a hoarse whisper, and I let the tears that have been threatening to leak out of my eyes since I arrived finally cover my face, so many that I feel like I am drowning in the rain and tears.

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends


How could everyone else forgotten about him? I cannot remember a day I do not think about him, his smiling face forever imprinted in my memory, mostly reassuring but sometimes mocking me; telling me how it is my fault he died. And it is. Whenever his face disappears and I am left with nothing but cold air where his skinny arms should be wrapped around me in a hug, I am in tears. Sometimes my wife is able to stop the tears slipping down my face; sometimes she cannot seem to reach me. It seems like no-one can reach me. Not Ray or Bob. Not even Frank.

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends


Without thinking I bend over, hearing my back click slightly in the process, and touch his grave as if feeling the cold stone can bring me back my brother. Nothing. I sigh and blink twice, letting the tears leak out of the corner of my eyes and slip down my cheeks. Seven years ago my brother would have helped me through this, but that is the problem: one of my sources of comfort was killed because I happened to have run into a tree when wasted.
Why did I pay no attention to him? He plainly said, Let me drive Gee – you’re a little too drunk to be in the driver's seat. Innocently defending his brother without pissing him off too much.
Now, he’s gone.

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began
Wake me up when September ends


The sound of the church bells echo through the silence, and I can’t help but to be reminded of the first day of spring with him and the rest of our band – that would turn out to be my brother’s last. We were playing Truth or Dare, and Frank had to stuff his underpants with all of our snacks and drinks (we didn’t have them later). He came back with Pringles, skittles, coca cola, and plenty of other snacks down there, making him look like a baby who had just had an accident. He looked ridiculous! Everyone was crying with laughter of course, but it was my brother who stood out.
I would give anything to go back to that.

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost


The light rain has turned into a thunderstorm, thunder drowning out the sound of church bells, lightning brightening up the dull, grey sky. The rain is soaking through my coat, hoodie and T-shirt, but I barely notice. All I’m interesting in doing right now is thinking about my brother, how much he meant to me, and how much I love him. I wish I could go back and agree with him – let him drive the car. I wish that fateful day – 18th September - would just vanish, so I wouldn’t end up mourning until September ends.

Wake me up when September ends

“I’m sorry, Mikey. I’ll always love you,” I whisper, before laying down some flowers and walking back down the dirt pathway until I reach my car.
Sign up to rate and review this story