Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Gold Digger

Gold Digger

by XxlovefrankieroxX

(Frerard) Frank goes to Hangtown during the California gold rush of 1849 and comes back with much more than gold in his life..

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Erotica,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2011-06-27 - Updated: 2011-06-27 - 5800 words - Complete

?Blocked
A/N: Hey y’all!
So, I haven’t had two stories on the go for a while now, but never fear, Nuts and Bolts will still be being added to (next chapter up tomorrow if all goes to plan). This here is being written for FlyingSmoke who sent me a request for a story based on the California gold rush with lots of smut. Now... who am I to pass up a chance for man smut, really? ;)
Possibly foolishly she has also given me completely free reign with the plot so after doing some research on the event I’ve come up with just enough of a plot to get this thing rolling. So... here’s hoping I don’t disappoint her and I hope you guys all enjoy it :D
R&R, for both our sakes xD


Frank was the youngest man in the cart, as it rocked and swayed its way down the dusty road surrounded on both sides by dry plains of dead grass. His whole body was dirty, the underneath of his fingernails black from the dirt that had accumulated there throughout his long journey. He had washed last in the river before getting into the cart for the journey to the gold digging town but that had been four days ago now. He was pretty certain he didn’t reek as much as the old men who were surrounding him though.

He had been travelling for ninety three days now, ever since he had left his home in New Jersey, and many of the men he had started this journey with had since died of disease or drowning on the boat voyage. They had come through some storms to get here, and not many of them could swim. They had had to travel by canoes up a jungle river for some part of the way, after getting off the ship that brought them to California that is, and once canoeing a week or so up stream they had met with a group of ox and carts waiting for them to take them to their town.

Frank felt assured by the fact that this was the last jaunt of the journey, the four months he had been travelling had not been entirely unpleasant, but he ached to set down somewhere and settle in. His body was not made for all this travelling and he missed his home so very much. But there was nothing in New Jersey for him, he would be nothing but a pauper like the rest of his family and just like every other man surrounding him, he didn’t want that.

Frank yawned and ran a hand through his over grown hair, the men around him smoking their pipes or just looking up at the starry sky in silence. They all had impressively long beards, Frank had tried to keep his cut with his pocket knife but he still had a layer of stubble over his jaw and chin. He scratched at it now as he gazed about the darkened plains, the night breeze was cool but the day had been so hot that they were all grateful for the relief, though it didn’t look like this place got much rain.

Frank’s body was aching as the cart rumbled down the road, the swaying making his spine and ribs ache, the hard seat hurting his tail bone, the shocks from rocks and potholes like daggers up his back. His head ached from lack of sleep and his stomach rumbled, but everyone was suffering and desperate to reach the town so he didn’t complain. They all made fun of him for being the youngest as it was and Frank didn’t want to give them any more reason to.

As the night wore on and hours dragged by Frank began to nod to sleep, his arms hugging his bag he kept resting on his knees. The bag was full of the only belongings Frank had brought with him, clothes mostly, and then a black and white sketch of his mother and a locket that had been his grandma’s. Inside was a tiny picture of his grandfather, a man who had raised Frank when his father died when he was a child. His grandfather himself had died only a year previous, and Frank still thought of him often. It was part of the reason why he was even here.

“Alright men – there it is!” Frank jolted awake as the man beside him nudged him, the man driving the cart pointing out over the brow of the hill they were riding up. Frank sat up straighter and rubbed his eyes, looking out in awe as they moved over the hill and the town at its base came into view.

All of the men whispered softly as they looked at the sleepy town that was going to become their home. Frank took it all in with a heavy heart and sleepy eyes, trying to imagine it as home but it just made him miss New Jersey even more. Of course he hadn’t been expecting paradise, and the town didn’t look bad at all really. But he still couldn’t help but feel a little melancholy as he looked down at the neat grid of cabins. Some had candles lit in the windows, and what appeared to be a drinking tavern sat in the centre of the town, little dots of people coming and going as the men in the carts watched. There were tree stumps dotted about from where they had cut them down for the wood for the cabins, and a river that looked like naught but a grey vein from this height ran down the back length of the town. Frank supposed that was where they would find their gold.

The ox pulling the carts grunted as they made their way down the hill, following a rocky mountain path to the town. Frank was silent as they moved, just gazing down at the little town that had been made specifically to mine for the gold in the rivers and that was going to become his home for however long it took to make him rich. He prayed it wouldn’t be long; he didn’t plan to be away from New Jersey forever.

When the carts finally reached the town a large group of men were waiting with lanterns. They helped get everyone’s bags out the carts and some spoke quietly to the drivers; some gave letters that needed transporting to different parts of the country as Frank and the others stood about silently. Now Frank was here he felt lost, completely unsure as to what to do or where to go. He could hear laughter and shouting coming from a distance, probably the tavern, and he hoped it wouldn’t go on too late into the night. Though he was so tired he had no doubts as soon as his head hit a pillow he’d be out like a candle in the wind. But the problematic thing was, he had no idea where that pillow might be.

The other men seemed just as lost as Frank and they all stood about waiting to see what they should do. Eventually, as the ox and carts were moving back the way they had came the men with the lanterns picked a man and got him to the follow them. Frank’s heart pounded nervously as he stood at the back, biting his lip and wondering what to do. No one seemed to be talking to him, it was like he was invisible.

Eventually, all the other men had walked away with one of the guys with the lantern and Frank was left by himself, stood in the dark with his lip clamped between his teeth. He considered following someone, the feeling of not being welcome so strong inside him he could just cry. But then a light caught his eye and he turned, one last man with a lantern was stood by an old oak tree, watching him with a blank expression.

“You Chinese?” He demanded, Frank blinking stupidly for a moment.

“Ch – Chinese? I... No. Of course not.” He spluttered, touching his face in confusion. True, he hadn’t seen his reflection in a long time but he was pretty certain he hadn’t turned Chinese at any point of his journey. “Why-”

“Spanish?” The man demanded, walking forward and Frank instantly took a step back, whimpering. “I can’t see in the dark, where are you from?” The man demanded, raising his lantern and shining it in Frank’s face.

The young man grimaced and raised his hands to shield his eyes from the light. He squinted at the man before him and felt his heart miss a beat, the man didn’t look much older than him and that made a change, his black hair fell to his shoulders and he was quite pale. He had such an air of authority around him that Frank felt incredibly intimidated.

“Hm.... No. You’re... American? Or... English?” The man asked, lowering his lantern once he had got a good look at Frank and he was able to finally lower his hands. He could see spots of light imprinted on his eyes from the lantern, the man’s head now a white orb and he blinked, trying to get rid of the image and see properly.

“A – American. I’m from New Jersey.” He stuttered nervously, holding his bag over his shoulder and he shifted it, trying to get comfier as the man nodded thoughtfully.

“Hmm... New Jersey eh? Same here.” He smiled, relaxing at last and he clapped a hand onto Frank’s shoulder, gripping tight and steering him round to walk with him into the town. “The names Gerard, I’ll be taking you under my wing for the next couple days until you get settled. What’s your name kid?” He asked, Frank biting his lip and he stumbled along beside the taller man as he strolled rapidly down the roads between the cabins.

“It’s Frank...”

“Frank. Welcome to Hangtown.” Gerard beamed, spanning his hand round the whole area and Frank looked about obediently, taking in the identical cabins and what was indeed a tavern at the centre. Most of the men who had arrived were following their consorts there but thankfully Gerard seemed to understand that Frank didn’t want to go out right now.

“Hangtown...” Frank repeated softly, Gerard nodding and pointing behind him back to the oak tree he had been stood beside.

“Yup. So called because of all the hangin’s we get here. Three men got hung all at the same time on that there tree, that’s when the name got changed to Hangtown. But we have loads of hangings, one every week sometimes. People get drunk and mad at each other, and step too far outta line you get hung.” He shrugged, Frank’s heart hammering and he felt a little queasy.

“What? B – But what about courts, the jury?” He stuttered. New Jersey had just as much crime as any other place but at least there were laws and constitutions, as far as Frank could see there was no court house or jail here.

“Courts?” Gerard repeated, laughing loudly. “The tavern gets used as a court when the need arises. And all we men are the jury. But don’t worry, you only get hung for really bad stuff.” He shrugged, Frank not finding that any more comforting since all that meant was that a lot of really bad stuff happened.

“Really bad stuff...” He repeated softly, following Gerard up a small incline to a cabin a little secluded to the rest. “What did the three guys who got hung do?” He asked, Gerard stopping a little ways from the door of the cabin he had brought Frank to and he turned to look at him, his face serious and cast in shadow from the lantern.

“They stole another man’s gold.” He whispered ominously, his tone making Frank gulp softly. “They were accused of murder too but in this place Frank... you never... ever steal another man’s gold.” Gerard whispered, leaning closer to Frank as if even just to speak it was enough to get you hung. “We’re all here to find our fortune Frank, whatever you finds you keeps. Only fair.” He nodded, Frank nodding along with him.

“Of course.” He squeaked softly, understanding completely. He would never have dreamt of stealing another man’s gold even without the severe consequences.

“Good.” Gerard nodded, satisfied that Frank was sufficiently warned and he continued up the steps of the little wooden decking around the cabin. He unlocked the door and beckoned for Frank to follow him inside, taking his bag off him once he had and tossing it onto one of the single beds in the room.

The inside of the cabin was fairly spacious, a wardrobe, chest of drawers and book case taking up one wall, a small coal fireplace in between the wardrobe and book case. A fire was smouldering, glowing softly and providing light and warmth along with the candles dotted about. The two beds were on opposite ends of the cabin, a large, threadbare rug in the centre of the floor, the three windows small but fair. There was a mirror on the back of the door, and a washbowl on the chest of drawers. In the corner of the room was a pile of pick axes, boots, shovels and sifting pans.

“Right.” Gerard rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and looked about as Frank stood timidly by the door. “That there is your bed, I had to make it pretty quickly when I found out someone would be sharing me cabin so I’m afraid it’s nothing exciting.” He sighed, Frank shaking his head and thanking him quickly for even making him a bed at all. “You can put your clothes in the wardrobe too, but wash ‘em first.” Gerard continued, Frank nodding without argument, he knew the taller man was only saying that because he understood after so long of travelling all of Frank’s clothes would now be dirty.

“If you have the means to build your own cabin then feel free. Everyone just builds ‘em wherever they want, but ask me first. There are some weird people in this place and you never know when you might upset them.”

“Oh erm...” Frank bit his lip and bowed his head, shuffling his feet nervously. “Well I... I didn’t really bring anything to build with. I mean... I could... could cut down a tree or...”

“It’s fine.” Gerard cut across him, smiling warmly when Frank continued to look nervous. “Seriously, it’s fine. You can stay here, I could do with the company if truth be told.” He said kindly and Frank smiled gratefully at him, nodding his head. He hadn’t even considered he might have to build his accommodation when he’d set off, but he supposed now he really should have thought of that. Still, at least with Gerard he’d been given a lucky break.

“So... in the mean time, I guess you’ll be wanting a wash and everything. I have some towels here, and a bar of soap.” Gerard opened one of the drawers to retrieve said items, Frank nodding gratefully and catching them as Gerard threw them to him. “You can use this to wash your clothes.” He added, handing Frank a wooden frame with metal slats. “Everyone washes down in the river, it’ll be empty this time of night too so you can have your privacy. I’ll take you down to the right part.”

“Thank you...” Frank whispered, so grateful to have such a thoughtful man taking care of him. He wasn’t so naive to think that everyone would be so helpful, but he supposed what with Gerard not seeming to be a whole lot older than him the man understood how nerve wracking and new this experience was for Frank.

Gerard smiled and shrugged off the younger mans thanks, picking up his lantern again and nodding at Frank to follow him. They stepped out of the cabin and Gerard led the way down a small trail to the river, explaining to Frank all about the gold mining techniques they were using in this part of California. He told him everything he needed to know about what times he would need to be working on the river for a good days work, and how much he was likely to find. He told him a little about the different things in the town and some of the key things he should and shouldn’t do. Frank listening intently, wanting to just be able to work quietly and keep himself mostly unnoticed until he had made enough to give himself and his family a comfortable life back in New Jersey.

“Right, this is it.” Gerard nodded at a part of the river that was wider than the rest, the water gushing and bubbling from the current. “This is the deepest part, and not too good for gold. We all wash here, the current looks strong but it’s actually not so bad. Take as long as you like just don’t drink the water. Got that?” He asked and Frank nodded, thanking him again.

“I got it. I’ll erm... see you back at the cabin then?” He asked nervously and Gerard smiled, nodding warmly.

“Mhmm. See you in a minute.” He smiled, setting the lantern down on a rock so Frank would have some more light to see by other than just the moon and the stars and the young man thanked him softly once more, Gerard waving his hand in dismissal as he began strolling back up the trail to the cabin.

Frank watched him go and sighed softly, so grateful that it was Gerard taking care of him. He waited for him to disappear out of sight before he looked about to make sure he really was alone. Once he was satisfied that he was he stripped of his dirty clothes and sighed happily as the cool breeze washed over his naked body. He couldn’t wait to finally clean up and he stepped into the river, shivering a little at the cold water.

He walked deeper, clutching the bar of soap and waited until the water came up to his waist. The current took a moment to get used to, but once he had found his footing he began scooping up the water and pouring it down over his chest. He shivered violently and his nipples stood erect from the cold, goose bumps sprouting over his skin but he didn’t care. It felt so refreshing and he eagerly began rubbing the bar of soap all over his skin, watching as the days of dirt and grime disappeared from his skin, letting its natural olive tone come through.

He looked about over the river and smiled softly as he listened to its gushing and the music of crickets all about, the moment peaceful and calm. He would wash all of his clothes in a moment, he decided, once he was clean himself.

From up the trail Gerard turned to look at him, just wanting to check he was okay and he hesitated a second, staring expressionlessly down the hill at the naked man in the river. He could only see his back and not with much detail from this distance, just the way his skin shone a little in the moonlight, the water around him almost silver for the same reason and Gerard sighed. He took in the sight of the young man for a long moment, watching him wash his arms and chest before he turned round and continued to the cabin, finding it easily even in the dark from the long months he had spent walking that very trail every day.

>X<

When Frank got back to the cabin he had changed into some different clothes, and his hair was damp and tasselled. He smiled softly at Gerard as he stepped into the cabin, knocking first just out of politeness.

“Hey err... Thanks for the towel and stuff.” He said shyly, holding up the towel and Gerard slid off his bed to take it from him along with the soap.

“Don’t mention it. This can be yours now.” He smiled, hanging it up by the window to dry and placing the soap down by the washbowl. He put the wash board back in the drawer he had taken it from, Frank gesturing vaguely out the window.

“I hung my clothes up on the line outside... that’s okay right?” He asked and Gerard nodded, sitting back down on his bed and crossing his legs beneath himself as he watched Frank with curious eyes. The young man neatly folded up the bag he had carried his clothes in and then slid it beneath his bed before working a brush through his wet hair, a razor laying on his bed from where he had unpacked it earlier. Once he was done with his hair he picked the razor up, turning to Gerard.

“Erm... is it okay if I shave?” He asked, the older man laughing loudly and he nodded, indicating the mirror.

“Be my guest.” He smirked, finding it oddly cute how Frank felt the need to ask his permission every time he did something. None of the other men here did that kind of thing, and Frank would need to be careful. He couldn’t make himself seem to be weak or timid, no one got on in the world by doing that.

Frank nodded softly and thanked Gerard, padding over to the mirror and working some soap over his jaw line and chin, lathering it up before picking up the razor. It felt so good to be able to shave properly again, without a pocket knife and naught but water. He carefully slid the blade of his razor down his jaw, the razor glinting in the candle light and he could feel that Gerard was watching him closely so he tried not to blush. He didn’t know what was so interesting about him shaving but he didn’t say anything, just tried to concentrate.

“So, Frank... How long did it take you to get here anyways?” Gerard asked softly, Frank shrugging and wiping some soap off his razor.

“Erm... I’m not really sure. I lost count.” He admitted, trying to think back. “It took me a day to get from New Jersey to New York, and I got the steamer Panama from there which took me to the Isthmus of Panama, and that took a couple months at least I’d say.” He said thoughtfully, tapping his razor against the side of the washbowl. “We set sail on the 11th of May... Do you know today’s date?” He asked, looking at Gerard who had to think for a second.

“Erm... August 12th as I recall it... so a good three months then. That sounds about right.” He nodded, Frank giving a low whistle as he turned back to the mirror and continued shaving.

“Mm... three months... It felt so much longer.” He sighed, Gerard watching him with a curious smile.

For a moment the two men were silent, Gerard allowing Frank to shave until he was done and he picked up the towel off the nail to wipe the remains of the soap away. He checked his reflection to be sure he hadn’t missed a spot before he put his razor away and sat down on his bed, facing Gerard across the long gap between the beds.

“What about you? How long have you been here?” He asked softly as he puffed up his single pillow and removed his shirt, folding it neatly as Gerard hummed thoughtfully and lay back on his bed, placing his hands behind his head.

“How long? Hmm... I’d say a year almost. I came here first second I heard, back in 1848. There was hardly anyone here then, mostly just me and a couple old guys. But as soon as all you forty-niners started showing up this place really grew. No doubt it’ll continue to do so n’all.” He said thoughtfully, Frank biting his lip.

Forty-niners was the term used for men like him who came to the gold towns after President Polk had confirmed there to be gold found in California. Due to the lax laws that surrounded the area, a strange mix of Mexican and American laws fighting to prevail, there was no tax or ownership laws surrounding the gold. It was free for anyone to take and soon people from all around the world had been rushing to places just like Hangtown to find their fortune. The sudden rush for the gold in that year, 1849, had had the people, mostly men, labelled as Forty-niners and though Frank knew it wasn’t a derogatory term he still felt a little irritated to be referred to by it.

“Hm... Ya’ know, I never wanted to come here.” He blurted out, feeling the need to make it clear he wasn’t just another greedy man desperate for any gold he could get his grubby little hands on. Though he supposed Gerard probably was himself. “Not just here... California I mean. I... I didn’t care about the gold.” He said softly, Gerard turning his head to look at him with a bored expression, though his eyes held a spark of interest.

“I notice you say didn’t. What changed your mind?” He asked softly, Frank hesitating a second with his lips parted. He had only just met this man and he wasn’t sure now was the right time to start telling him everything about himself. But then if he was going to be living with him what other choice did he have?

“Well I... I need it. The gold... I need it for my family.” He said softly, Gerard giving a strange, bark like laugh as he sat up and started to undress.

“Of course you do. That’s why we’re all here ain’t it? To get rich, to get better lives. To provide.” He said pointedly, getting to his feet once he had removed his shirt and he began undoing his breeches, looking Frank dead in the eye as the younger man blushed a little. “I see a lot of men like you Frank, men who come in here thinking they have some higher purpose to the rest of us. Don’t you go assuming we’re all just gluttonous fools who want the gold for ourselves. Every man here has a wife, a child, or some other family to be thinkin’ of. Everyone here is trying to make a better life for not just themselves but the people they leave behind to come here. You ain’t no different to nobody else.” He said firmly, Frank opening his mouth to reply but instantly closing it again when Gerard dropped his breeches right infront of him and crawled into bed.

Gerard hardly made a display over the fact he was getting naked, he simply dropped his clothes and got back into bed and under the covers quite casually, but that didn’t mean Frank didn’t see the whole of his naked body and stare just a little. He didn’t mean to stare, after all, it wasn’t like he didn’t know what men looked like. He knew it was perfectly normal and harmless for a man to undress infront of another man, but... but Frank wasn’t like other men. And so when he was forced to look at another naked male it made him very uncomfortable.

“I... I never meant to imply...”

“It doesn’t matter.” Gerard shrugged, resting his head up on his hand as he looked at Frank with an unreadable expression. “I’m just sayin’ was all. You need to be careful what you say round here, if a man get’s an excuse to make you out to be a bad guy then he will – eliminate the enemy if you will. And to the guys here, anyone else digging for the gold is an enemy. You got that?”

“I... Got it.” Frank nodded, sighing and bowing his head. This place was gonna be a lot tougher to stick out than he thought. He felt very small, and very naive all of a sudden.

For a long moment neither man said anything, Gerard watching Frank quietly from his bed. Eventually Frank couldn’t stand the tension any longer and he shyly got undressed, removing his shirt first before getting beneath the covers and then removing his breeches so that Gerard wouldn’t see anything. Gerard quirked an eyebrow at that but didn’t say anything, though inside his stomach churned with concern. Frank acted so like a woman, all shy and timid, not even able to undress infront of a person. In places like this, full of sex deprived, violent men, acting like a woman was a very dangerous thing to do. Gerard supposed he would have to keep an eye on Frank, and get him toughened up at the earliest possibility.

“So, come on then.” He said suddenly, Frank turning onto his other side to face him.

“Hm?”

“Why you want the gold? I thought you were going to tell me. Why’s your family need it so bad?” He asked, his tone light and casual. Frank knew now of course that his family probably needed it only as much as the next family, but... he hadn’t talked about his family in so long, no one having taken an interest, and he was grateful for the opportunity now to just talk about them a little.

“Well... I... I suppose it’s nothing major.” He said softly, still wounded from Gerard’s earlier verbal bashing. “But my father died when I was five, and my mother never remarried. My Grandfather became like a dad to me but he died last year too so now my grandma is widowed too...” Frank sighed and bowed his head, picking at the bed sheets so he wouldn’t have to look at Gerard’s face. “I’m an only child, and my mother doesn’t have any brothers so it became my duty to provide for both her and my grandmother. But there’s nowhere paying high enough for that sorta thing. Not in Jersey anyway... so that’s why I came here.”

“To get gold enough for both households.” Gerard nodded his understanding, Frank nodding too.

“Mhmm... I don’t really care if I only make enough to support just them, and so never get the chance to buy a nice place for myself. As long as I can provide for my mum and grandma I’ll get a job back home that’ll get me enough to keep me surviving for my lifetime without the gold.” He explained softly, sighing as he met Gerard’s gaze again. “I don’t wanna be rich. But I guess I sort of need to be...”

“That’s a good way of putting it.” Gerard nodded, smiling to show Frank he understood. “It’s kinda like that for me.” He sighed, Frank tipping his head to the side and looking at Gerard with interest.

“Yeah? Why are you here?” He asked softly, Gerard smiling weakly and keeping his gaze locked with Franks, though the younger man could see it took a great deal of effort not to just look away and down like he had done.

“Well... I’m here for my brother really.” He said softly, sighing to himself. “Michael... He got engaged last year but he fell real sick before the wedding...” He whispered, his eyes growing sad. “We’re not sure what’s wrong with him, we called the doctor but they all say different things, you know what it’s like in Jersey.” He scoffed. “He managed to hold out and get married, and for a time things looked like they’d be fine. His wife got pregnant and they were both so happy... I was so excited for them...” Gerard’s eyes grew misty as his gaze moved to a spot above Frank’s shoulder, just gazing as if he were staring a great distance. “But just after his daughter was born he got worse again... He can’t work, he’s falling into poverty. It’s only with the help of my parents that he hasn’t lost his house all together. There’s a doctor in New York who we know could help him but he’s a specialist, he’s worked for the English royal family and everything but of course he’s expensive. Mikey says he doesn’t care, that he’ll go when it’s his time but I can’t stand to think of his daughter never knowing her father... he’s such an amazing man, my brother...”

“So you’re here to pay for his medical bills.” Frank whispered, Gerard seeming to snap out of his reverie and he nodded with a smile.

“That’s right. If I could just get enough gold to pay for this doctor to see him... to [/help] him. Then everything would be okay. I’m just like you. I don’t wanna be rich, but I guess I sort of need to be.”

Frank bit his lip and nodded, his heart aching a little for this kind, handsome man who was being so helpful to him and who understood his plight so much better than Frank thought anyone here would. In fact, his plight suddenly felt far less important when faced with Gerard’s.

“Well I... I really hope you get the gold you need Gerard.” He said softly, Gerard laughing softly and nodding, smiling gratefully.

“Same to you Frankie. Same to you...”

The two men shared a soft smile and agreed they should get to sleep, the hour late, not even the tavern making any noise now and so they blew out their candles and snuggled down under their thin blankets to get to sleep. In the morning Gerard would take Frank to the river and teach him the easiest method for getting the gold – panning. He only hoped that tomorrow would prove to be the day he had been waiting for.

The day he would finally find a substantial amount of that yellow metal he so desperately needed.
Sign up to rate and review this story