Categories > Theatre > Rent > Songbooks of Roger Davis

Finalization

by Blaze_of_Glory 0 reviews

Roger is dying and wonders if can make it to 40.

Category: Rent - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Mimi, Roger, Other - Published: 2005-05-22 - Updated: 2005-05-22 - 398 words

0Unrated
Every month has an end, but that end is the start of a new month, a new chance, a new day. Roger knew that he was running out of chances, he was running out of days. He had often stayed awake at night just watching the clock change. 1:15....1:16. Every night the clocks numbers changed and every night Roger would hope that time could stop and he could live in that one moment forever.

He was fading and quickly. He refused to see a doctor, why bother after all? He knew he was dying and he didn't need a doctor to tell him that, but everyone didn't seem to want to accept it.

"Two weeks, just two more weeks"

Two weeks till he was Forty. He understood and accepted that he might not make it, but he was determined to. And Jess, she was being so supportive, telling him with his stubbornness he could make it to seventy.

"I wish..."

He lay back in the pillows and watched her sleep. She looked so peaceful and happy. He knew that she was happy, but the look on her face was so relaxed and content it was hard to believe that she had been though so much.

He knew that Marrying Jess was one of the best things he had ever done but he couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if he hadn't. He had regretted it at some points, though it never lasted long.

"Forget Regret..." he heard a soft voice whispering in his mind. "Or life is yours to miss..."

He drew in a sharp breath and instinctively whispered "Meems..."

Even though it had been years, anytime he remembered the sound of her sweet and soft whispery voice his eyes would instantly get misty and tear. He nodded to the voice and turned and cuddled next to his sleeping wife. His mind turned back again to that Christmas Eve when Mimi knocked on the door...and wanted to go out, with him.

"The heart may freeze, or it can burn, the pain will ease, if I can learn...There is no future there is no past... I live this moment as my last..."

Roger decided to do just that. Live everyday as his last. He felt a slow warmth spread through him as he finally dozed off to sleep.

"I will make it. I know I will."
Sign up to rate and review this story