Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Two: Hunters and Hearts

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

I really enjoyed writing this chapter, and I hope people are taking to the series so far. I know it's probably a little frustrating that each chapter is so lengthy. It's not as though I'm aiming to...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-06-02 - Updated: 2006-06-03 - 4037 words

0Unrated
"Sir, we've found something," Seung brushed aside the cloth separating the tent from the rest of the Earth Kingdom encampment.

The Earth Kingdom general looked up from a map of the nearby river, irritated slightly by the guard's disregard for etiquette. "What is it?"

With no other words, Seung presented a scroll to the general, a ribbon tied around it tightly with the mark of the fire nation. He then bowed, taking a step back.

Dak-Ho was notorious among the other generals of the Earth Kingdom army. Not for cunning, not for skill, but for his unreliable strength. He was the sort who could cut an opponent down with great might, yet he often disobeyed the orders and commands of those above him, regarding them more as suggestions.

As he continued reading, his smile grew. He placed the scroll down carefully, looking towards the guard. "Where did you find this?"

"During a routine patrol, our squad intercepted a Fire Nation messenger carrying a few rations and this scroll."

"And where is the messenger now?"

"Detained, sir. He's being kept at the edge of camp, pending your command."

"Kill him," the speed in which the order was given was a clear indication of Dak-Ho's lack of compassion.

"...Sir?" The question was automatic, Seung unsure as to why a messenger would deserve death.

"He's an ally of the Fire Nation, kill him," he looked up, his eyes narrowing.

"...Yes sir." He bowed again, turning to exit.

"One last thing," his eyes fell to the scroll again.

"Sir?" He turned again, awaiting his command.
"Wake the other soldiers; position everyone for an ambush along the river. When their boats pass, we strike."

Seung couldn't help but narrow his eyes. "But sir, I thought our commands were to escort the Fire Nation representatives."

Dak-Ho stood slowly, the corner of his mouth lifting in a sadistic smirk. He stepped towards his equipment, drawing out his large hammer. Resting it on his shoulder, he turned back towards the guard. "Are you questioning me?"

"...No sir," it was hard for him to lie.

"Our orders were to escort an aristocrat of the Fire Nation." He paused, the smirk remaining as he chuckled slightly. In a swift motion he lifted the hammer, slamming it down upon the table. It split down the middle, the scroll shred beneath the pressure of the hit.

Seung remained still, not particularly caring for his commander's theatrics.

"But if she's just an exile, then we can do whatever we want." He tossed his hammer aside, sitting back down.

If there was one thing that Seung detested, it was Dak-Ho's insistence that his will was the will of his soldiers. He bowed again, leaving the tent. He stormed towards the entrance to the camp, two soldiers calling out to him. Between them was a bound Fire Nation messenger.

"Hey, Seung! What did Dak-Ho say we should do with him?"

He approached them, looking down at the messenger. His eyes came back to the soldier, spitting the words slightly as he answered. "He said to kill him."

"What? Why?" The second guard looked down at the messenger, whose fear was only enhanced by the response. "He didn't come here looking to make trouble."

"Stand him up." Seung's voice had gained a sudden coldness.

The two guards grasped the messenger by the shoulders, lifting him.

Drawing out his knife, Seung approached him slowly, stopping a few inches from the messenger as he cowered.

"Are you a soldier of the Fire Nation?"

"Y...Yes..." He shuddered.

"What's your name?"

"N...Ning, sir..."

"...Hmm." Seung thrust his shoulder into Ning's chest, a sudden pressure upon the messenger's stomach as he let out a yelp. His breathing heavy, he felt a hand go over his mouth. Motionless, Seung simply stared forward. "Ning is dead. Your name is Shui, you're an exile of the Earth Kingdom. You will go seek refuge in the Fire Nation."

There was silence as Shui processed the words.

Still close enough to Ning to make it look as though he'd delivered the final blow, he whispered to the earth soldier, "Take his knife."

Obeying without hesitation, the guard drew out the Fire Nation blade, tossing it down so as to let it stab into the ground.

Seung moved himself back slightly, withdrawing the butt end of the knife from Shui's gut. He turned it, sliding it into the now empty sheath before whispering again. "This is your proof of being an Earth Kingdom citizen, don't lose it." He stepped back, folding his arms.

The second soldier lifted Shui over his shoulder, looking towards Seung. "What if they ask where your knife went?"

"The tip broke off when I stabbed a Fire Nation messenger," he shrugged. He picked up the messenger's knife before waving his hand out towards the forest and barking an order "Go dump it in the river!"

The two soldiers bowed quickly, understanding the order to release Shui near the river. They then hurried into the thick of the woods, Shui keeping his eyes closed but mouthing two words silently.
"Thank you."
Seung nodded as he turned, walking towards the camp.




"I think it would be a good idea," Gang nodded as he walked alongside the ostrich horse. "It would make traveling more enjoyable in the long run."

"Excellent! Now, Gang, I have an offer for you," Wen Lan smiled from atop the ostrich horse.

"Eh?"

"I'll buy you and everyone else in the party one if you agree to let me walk the next leg of the journey."

"But, my lady! What if you trip, or dust gets in your eyes?!" If ever there was an example of being overprotective, it was Gang.

"Gang, don't be ridiculous. I'll be fine, and riding the entire way makes me feel awkward."

"Then who's going to ride, my lady? Someone has to, or the bird will get lazy!" As he said this, the ostrich horse snapped it's beak at him.

"Xiu can, she's very good with ostrich horses," she explained as she rubbed the ostrich horse's neck, calming it.

Xiu, a servant of Wen Lan, waved her hand from the other side of the ostrich horse.

"Fine, fine!" Gang sighed. "So we'll be stopping at that town, then?" He nodded his head towards an Earth Kingdom village in the distance.

"Yes, they'll carry what we're after and we can restock on food," she noted.

Wen Lan had anticipated animosity from the Earth Kingdom as they passed through, but felt their presence would be mostly ignored. She found this to be a fallacy, as the village's citizens stared hatefully at the party. Men and women closed their windows, children sneered from alleys.

Gang glanced around, searching more for threats to Wen Lan than people's reactions. It was after he had passed a particular alley that a child threw a rock towards Wen Lan's head.

Leaning back slightly, she caught the rock in her right hand, handing it calmly to Xiu. Maintaining a graceful demeanor she continued on, not even acknowledging it. Her eyes lit up as she found what they had been searching for. "Gang, there!" She dismounted.

He walked behind her, keeping an eye out for trouble as they approached the hat vendor.

"Hello," she bowed softly. "My party and I have traveled far and still have quite a journey ahead of us. May we see your selection?"

The old man stood with his arms folded, his eyes narrow. "I don't sell hats."

Wen Lan understood what the vendor was hinting at, Gang not catching on so fast. He looked at the various hats stocked throughout the booth. "What are you talking about? You have hats everywhere."

"Not for Fire Nation, I don't."

Gang glared, slamming his hand down on the counter. "Do you have any idea who this is?" He nodded his head towards Wen Lan.

"Gang, that's quite enough," she placed a hand on his shoulder. "Sir, we've been invited by Chin-Hwa of Bai-Jing." She presented a letter from the noble, folding her hands in front of her politely before bowing. "We would very much appreciate if you would sell us some of your wares."

"I won't touch Fire Nation money."

"You!" Gang growled.

She lifted her hand in front of Gang, halting him. She bowed again, taking back the letter. "I thank you for your time, sir." She turned, walking back towards the party. Smiling reassuringly, she moved on to the next order of business. "Shall we try to get some food?"

Xiu could tell in an instant what had happened, Gang's face still red with anger.

They made their way to a small restaurant, the villagers scowling as they watched in silence. Standing at the entrance was a frail old woman, her granddaughter standing beside her with her hands folded in front of her.

Wen Lan approached carefully, stopping a few feet before them. Bowing, she voiced her business politely. "Hello Madame. I was wondering if my party could trouble you for some food and a drink?"

The old woman trotted forward, bowing in response "I'm sorry, young lady...You were polite to that stubborn old fool, even though he was so awful...But, if I serve you..."

Wen Lan looked to her left, villagers staring with hatred. "...I understand," she smiled softly.

"I'm sorry," the old woman pleaded.

With reassuring smile, Wen Lan bowed again. "Thank you for your consideration, I wish you great fortune." Turning back towards the party, she nodded towards Gang. "It's best that we leave."

Glaring around, he nodded. There were too many threats to Wen Lan, here.

As they approached the border of the village, a voice called out behind them. "Wait!"

Wen Lan turned, watching as the granddaughter ran up holding a hat in her hands. Panting, she held it up to Wen Lan. "My grandmother wants you to have this; it was hers when she was younger."

Bowing deeply, Wen Lan took it gently. "Please thank her for me, her kindness is much appreciated."

"Just don't lose it," the daughter warned, still catching her breath. She turned, walking back towards the village.

"Nice of 'er," Gang folded his arms.

Turning, Wen Lan offered the hat to Xiu. "Xiu, your skin is more delicate than mine. Please wear this."

Xiu brought her hands up in front of her, blushing at her lady's kindness. "No no, that's yours now!"

"I can't wear it if I'm worrying about the sun stinging you, can I?" she smiled.

"I...I guess not..." Xiu took the hat, bowing so deeply that others were surprised she managed to bring herself back up.

"Good," Wen Lan smiled cheerfully, walking towards the front of the party. "Let's continue on, then."

Though smiling, Wen Lan felt a sudden fear, a worry that the other villages would all exhibit as much, perhaps even less compassion.




Huan stepped into the guest room, her body exhausted from the work the clinic required, her heart taxed by her daughter's deep sadness. She looked towards their guest, a man who had gained a sudden infamy within the capitol.

"The patrols have died down, I think they're searching farther outside the city now," she reassured.

"Hmm."

An awkward pause. Huan had little idea how to converse with Lord Bo.

"...Li Mei. Ever since she found out, she's been in her room. She refuses to speak."

"Hmm."

"I...I was wondering..."

"Hmm?" He looked back over his shoulder towards the woman.

"Perhaps...You could go speak with her?"

"...Hmm." Bo stood up, dressed in simple robes. He walked past Huan without another word, as she bowed in gratitude.

She then wondered how successful a conversation would be between two people that don't talk.

Bo slid the door to Li Mei's room open, closing it behind him as he approached her.

She lay in the corner, her face wet with tears, both fresh and faded.

"...Hmm," he started as he sat down near her.

"...Did you know her well?"

"...Hmmm." When Bo extended the "hmm," it usually indicated either "no" or "Well..." Those who knew Bo for long periods of time could easily tell the difference.

"...When I was little, our fathers were good friends. Big sister Wen would come over and play with me. She always made me smile, even when father became sick."

"Hmm," he nodded. He did not know Wen Lan as well as Li Mei did, but from what he did know, this was hardly surprising.

"Then when her father got sick, I felt so bad. I wanted to cheer her up, like she always cheered me up. When father got sick, she gave us money so that he could get better."

"Hmm."

"But when her father got sick, I couldn't do anything," she closed her eyes tight, the words paining her. "I tried," she squealed. "Mother and I, we tried to make so many medicines!" As she continued, her tears became stronger, her face growing hotter. "But no matter what we tried, he just got sicker, and then he died! He died and I went to see her, and I could tell she was sad but she kept smiling! She smiled at me, and it hurt, because I knew she was faking!"

"..." He had no sounds for this.

"And she still helped my family and she was still my wonderful big sister Wen, and she still kept smiling and worked hard, and she never hurt anyone! She never did anything wrong!" Weakly, she pounded her fist on the floor. She sat up, turning towards Bo as she sobbed "Why, Lord Bo?! Why does she keep getting punished for being nice?!"

He took her into his arms, holding her close as she sobbed into his chest, chanting her question. As she calmed, she leaned back, looking up at him.

"How will I know? How will I know she's okay?"

"..." Bo lifted his finger, placing it on Li Mei's chest as she stared at it curiously. He traced her heart, smiling softly.

She looked back up at him, her eyes filling with tears again as she clutched him.

An hour later, she had drifted back to sleep. He placed her down carefully, walking out of the room. He slid the door shut quietly, looking up quickly at the sound of a voice.

"What will you do now?" Bai asked. Li Mei's father, husband to Huan, Bai was not the most famous, but a well known and respected doctor.

"..." Bo turned his back to Bai, walking down the hall towards the guest room, where the Fire Nation armor he had stolen was. He spoke one word as he did.

"Justice."




"It's so peaceful," Wen Lan smiled, standing near the edge of the riverboat. It was larger than the military riverboats, intended for ferrying passengers instead of troops.

"Yes, I'm glad that Lord Chao didn't forget to arrange this for us."

"Xiu!" Wen Lan laughed.

The girl brought her hands up to her mouth, blushing. "I'm sorry my lady, I didn't mean to say that out loud!"

"It's fine, it's fine. Lord Chao is very forgetful, that's hardly a secret. She turned towards the top of the boat, calling out to Gang. "How goes your lookout?"

Gang called back down, a look of suspicion in his expression. "My lady, I see no one on the banks of the river, but I can tell someone was camping out along it recently!"

"That's odd. Continue your lookout then," she called back to him. Keeping Gang on lookout duty allowed him to focus his paranoia on one task, instead of the entire party at once. Wen Lan took advantage of this often.

"...My Lady?" Xiu's eyes strained a little as she looked along the bank of the river, hearing something in the distance.

Before she could warn Wen Lan, a boulder slammed into the side of the boat, knocking her down. As she looked up, she could see Wen Lan already taking a combat stance.

"Ha ha, that was weak! Fire from both sides!" Dak-Ho barked.

Seung threw his arm forward from the opposite side of the river, the three Earthbenders beside him stomping a foot upon the ground as a chunk of stone rose up before them. Thrusting their palms out, the boulder launched towards the boat.

Wen Lan dove down, grasping Xiu and running towards the back of the boat, placing her down. Turning quickly, she called up to Gang as he regained his composure.

"Gang! Send the other guards to one shore, you take the other! Disable their distance advantage!"

"Yes ma'am!" Gang growled furiously, outraged that someone would dare put his lady in danger. He jumped off of the boat's top, barking orders to the guards as they came out of the hold. With little hesitation, he dove off the side of the boat, making his way towards the shore.

Dak-Ho grinned at the sight of the guards storming the shore. Waving his hand, he motioned some of his assault troops to step forward, calling out to Seung to follow suit.

The assault troops positioned themselves in front of the Earthbenders. The Earthbenders responded by slamming their feet into the ground, a boulder rising up beneath the assault troops. With careful and steady motion, they launched the boulders towards the ship, the assault troops now having quick, though unstable, passage.

Wen Lan pushed Xiu towards the hold. "Make sure the other servants are alright!" Turning towards the troops, she took a stance. Her face held a look of serene calm, her heart burning with anxious anticipation.

Dak-Ho glanced casually to the side, then gave it his full attention. The noble's guards had somehow managed to overwhelm his troops. Scowling, he grasped the shoulder of one of the Earthbenders.

"I need a hostage. Get me onto that boat."

The bender nodded, repeating the same motion he had before.

Leaping slightly, Gang rolled his hands in a circular motion, thrusting his fist out as he landed. A stream of fire tore through the advancing wave of troops, the Earthbenders turning their attention towards him. Stepping back and lifting his hands, he breathed deeply, grinning with the satisfaction of battle.

Seung stepped directly between them all, lifting his palm towards his soldiers. He turned towards them, giving careful and simple instruction. "The soldiers on the opposite shore are being overtaken by the noble's guards. Get yourself over there and aid them. I want no casualties from either side."

The benders nodded, rushing towards the river.

"You must think mighty highly of yourself, going up against me alone," Gang grinned.

Seung smirked, taking a stance. "I'd say the exact same for you."

"My name is Gang, bodyguard of lady Wen Lan." He stepped forward, readying himself. "Firebender."

"I am Seung, second in command to Dak-Ho of the Earth Kingdom army." He opened his fists, his fingers tense. "Earthbender."

There was a brief pause before the two began their duel.

"Give up, woman! We have you surrounded!" One of the soldiers called out, wanting to avoid having to hurt a girl.

"I don't know how to give up," she smiled kindly. Wen Lan's smile alone could sometimes completely disarm an opponent.

"Your choice," one of the soldiers yelled as he rushed, thrusting his pike at her.

In one quick motion, Wen Lan sidestepped the pike, turning her body around and grasping the soldier by the chin. She lifted him with little trouble, crouching as she slammed his head down into the deck of the ship.

As two soldiers approached her from both sides she leapt, kicking her feet out in either direction, shattering one's nose while dislodging the teeth of the other. She landed as another lashed his pike out. Ducking under, she quickly rolled forward, standing just behind the soldier as she lifted a foot, kicking him behind each kneecap. As he fell to his knees she stepped forward, grabbing the back of his head and slamming him face first into the deck.

Another soldier rushed her, this time approaching from her front. She dropped onto her back, swinging her legs up and closing them in a scissor-kick, the pike snapping. As he slowed, she spun up onto her feet, swinging her leg out to trip him. Crouching, she realized the presence of another soldier behind her.

"Get away from her!" Xiu screeched as she slammed a plank into the soldier's head. Dazed, he lashed the pike out at her as he fell, cutting her across the arm.

Wen Lan grasped Xiu as she winched in pain, scolding her. "Xiu, I told you to stay below deck!"

"But what if you were hurt?" she pleaded.

"You're the one who got hurt!" Wen Lan groaned.

"Touching scene," Dak-Ho greeted, standing at the opposite end of the boat. The back section of the deck had been destroyed by the boulder he arrived on.

Wen Lan glared as Xiu clutched her arm.

He looked around, examining his troops. "Oh my. One little lady managed to decimate my best assault unit? I'm shocked!"

She stood up, stepping in front of Xiu protectively.

"You look like you want to fight. That isn't very noble of you," he teased, resting his hammer over his shoulder.

Stepping forward, she took her combat stance.

"You did manage to put yourself in a bad position, though."

Silence.

"You got rid of my troops. And that means you've taken away the one thing that would hold me back."

Silence again.

"Witnesses," he grinned sadistically as he slammed his hammer down, dislodging the boulder. Spinning around, he tore a section of it away, launching it towards Wen Lan as she made her approach.

Able to dodge the first, the second tore into the deck before her, forcing her back a step. More sections of rock rained down towards her, her dodging and mindfulness of Xiu behind her keeping her pinned. It was a matter of minutes before she was forced to leap in front of a rock that had been aimed for Xiu's head.

"Ha ha! You can't even Firebend, can you!?" he cackled, lifting the last and largest section of boulder. "And you thought you could stand up to me?"

She glared, not giving him the satisfaction of a response.

"This will be pleasant, for me. First, I'll start by killing your guards. Then? Your servants. When I'm done doing that, all in front of you, mind you, I'll tame you. Make you my personal slave." He lifted the boulder, taking a wide stance. "Won't that be fun? A Fire Nation noble becomes an Earth Kingdom slave!"

"My lady..." Xiu worried softly.

He cackled as he launched the boulder towards them.

Wen Lan started to push Xiu out of harm's way, stopping as she became aware of something large dropping down in front of her. She closed her eyes, bit of rock crumbling around the object in an explosion of earth. She opened her eyes, quickly studying what had fallen in front of her.

He was a large man, by all observations. His body was tall, not one spot failing to exhibit an intimidating degree of muscle. His feet and legs were tied tight in bandages, his cloth Earth Kingdom pants tattered and ending at his knees, adorned with metal lined belt. A torn cloth hung down the front, his upper body dressed in nothing but faded scars. His back exhibited a large scar in the shape of an "x," the first thing Wen Lan noticed. On each arm was a metallic shield in the shape of the Earth Kingdom emblem. His face was unknown, for it was concealed by a Hannya mask.

He stood silently, bits of rock and dust coating his front and falling from his shields.

Wen Lan noticed Dak-Ho's face, surprised by it. The look of fear didn't surprise her, she had every intention of causing him the very same within a few moments. It was the cause and degree. It was merely the sight of this man that had caused Dak-Ho's face to morph into a visage of absolute terror. As he stepped back, Dak-Ho managed one word.

"...Demon..."







Dedicated to Isaia for making a beautiful illustration of some of the characters of the series.
Sign up to rate and review this story