Categories > Original > Fantasy > Different

Different

by Celestail 0 reviews

Have you ever felt different? Not fit in? Follow Destini on her adventures to find where she belongs and meet a few creatures along the way.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-06-04 - Updated: 2006-06-04 - 721 words

0Unrated
Chapter 1 Different
Have you ever got the feeling of being different from everyone else, not being wanted, well I have. Today in the Village of Daisen, which is located on the base of mount Hein, was the Festival of Starlight in which teenage kitsunes like me will go on our first hunting trip at night (go figure) and bring back a feast to celebrate the next day. In the next few hours I'll be going hunting and of course I'll want to see the village elders turn towards me with disgust in their eyes and wish for my unfortunate 'accident' in the forest tonight.

Why disgust? Well it has to do with my lineage because you see I was born with black ears and tail other the normal brown and silver or the conventional red. The teachers call me a gift from the devil and that one day when Ill die and I'll burn in the fiery flames of hell for eternity. Well they didn't actually say it when their actions speak for themselves. I mean would you think your teachers would like you if they curse at only you and when you get in trouble suspend you on sight without even you doing it, or even hit you for that matter.

Oh no more bad news. One of the elders spotted me and now walking towards me. That's weird when an elder normally comes to me they usually come in the pack to look more imitating. Now it seems he's here and he leans down to get look at my face and he's opening his mouth to speak. His already balding hair catches my eyesight as it shines in its own unnatural glow. When he opened his breath wider I had to hold my breath because this guy needed serious dental help.

"Hello Destini are you ready for tonight's festival?"

Before I even answer he continues...

"Well I hope you have fun and take all the time you need because when you come back you still have to finish the apology letter to Ms. Noug for setting her coat on fire." He's now staring at me with hard eyes and his lips setting into a thin line. My ears twitch in annoyance; he just had to ruin a girl's day didn't he?
Plus its not like I even set her coat on fire anyway it was the kid next to me who framed me by putting the lighter on my desk even though he was the one who smelled like burnt leather.

With these thoughts running through my head I just nod in compliance and as he walks away I scowl.
**Next few hours**

Well its time and I feel very excited because in just a few hours I won't be hearing from the villagers and I'll have my own freedom for these hours of hunting. The leader of the festival gives us our hunting bows, hunting knives, food and water. After a few words of wisdom I run off into the forest with some other kitsunes from the village. The lights of the village grew dimmer as I keep running towards the forest and finally all is dark as I've reached the depth of the forest.

I can't believe it actually freedom from being teased, ridiculed, and harassed by the villagers for these next few hours. I look a necklace shining excitedly in the moonlight almost reflecting my feelings about now, it silver vines twist around a small black pendent which blue fire burns on certain occasions. It was a neat gift that I got from my mom before she moved on to the clouds in the sky. I sigh in content about remembering the past before I put my serious face on and duck in the underbrush to start looking for the unlucky prey tonight.


My tail swings behind me back and forth and my violet eyes peer into the darkness and I wait for any unsuspecting prey. Just then a shadow past through the under brush and instantly I get my bow and arrow ready. I steady the arrow and fire at the shadow and then suddenly the shadow disappeared the moment the arrow was in distance. My eyes widen and I felt a heavy blow to the back of my head and unwilling fell into darkness.
Sign up to rate and review this story