Categories > Original > Romance

Die Romantically

by Nightstars 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-08-02 - Updated: 2011-08-03 - 1778 words - Complete

1Original
Okay, so I wrote this a while back and I wasn't originally gonna post it but my friend asked me to (Pfft! More like commanded) so, here it is. Hope you enjoy it.


Die Romantically


“Charlotte, you know you have to do this.”
Charlotte nodded slowly as she stared at her boss. The gun that hung carefully in its holster suddenly felt as if it weighed a hundred pounds.
“I know what I have to do.”
The words felt stiff in her mouth but she managed to choke them out.
“Good.”
The man spoke as if he were appraising a pet of his. Charlotte stood for a second longer before spinning on her heel and leaving the building. The very thought of what she had to do sickened her and nearly brought bile up her throat. She glanced down at her clothes as she walked though the streets. People gaped and she barely realized why. She was still wearing the clothes from her last job.
Blood splatters covered her white t-shirt and tears trailed down her shirt and onto her black skinny jeans. A soft smile crossed her lips before slipping away. The belt strung with bullets was the only thing that seemed unmarred, along with the holster that carried with it certain death. The rips along her shirt revealed the fishnet shirt she had under, along with the quarter sleeves.
She took a deep breath and walked along the sidewalk as people practically ran into the street to avoid running into her. The bullets clinked together and the gun tapped against her thigh as she walked though the darkness of the night. Through the darkness and toward her ill-chosen fate.

“James.”
The voice carried through the door and reached James’s ears. He stood up from the low stool and glanced at his blood-splattered, blue doctor’s coat. With a slight shrug he pushed the wooden door open and looked across the large room at the man that sat behind the low wooden desk.
“Hello, father.”
James’s voice was tense and echoed slightly in the paneled room. His hand flipped the knife that glinted brilliantly in the blinding light. He approached the desk that separated his father and himself as he pulled the medical mask down to his neck. As he reached the desk he stood, still watching the light play along the edges of the blade.
“James.”
Again, his father’s voice broke through his thoughts and played blindly along walls of his mind. He gripped the handle tightly before stabbing it violently into the polished, unmarred wood. A loud crack split the silence as part of the wood splintered off. James watched the particles settle on the shining desk like dust.
“It’s time,” his father stated.
James didn’t reply as he stared at the knife that quavered in the desk before stopping. The blade glinted in the light the slightest bit, almost taunting him. He let the light flash in his eyes before turning to his father who watched him patiently.
“I know.”
His voice was soft as he whispered the dreaded words. He had always known that the time would come, that he would eventually have to face his fate. The thoughts danced across his mind again, the words sticking in his brain. He took a deep breath and gripped the handle of the knife tightly before pulling it from the desk.
“It needs to be done tonight.”
A soft nod was the only response he received from his son before the young man turned and left the room.

The night sky seemed to tremble as thunder rumbled through the pitch black clouds and lightning flashed every other minute or so. Two people, a young man and a woman, stalked through the darkness. Drowning in their despair, both on the opposite side of the park but heading toward the exact same spot. Their spot, the spot that held so many memories for the two of them. It seemed impossible that this moment had come so soon; that the moment in time they had been dreading was only mere minutes from occurring.
The young man stepped into the small circle of brightness that fell onto the dark brown bench supplied by the park lamp. This was the place where he had first seen her. Her small body curled into itself as she buried her face in her hands and her body shook with silent sobs. It was here where he had been frozen in place when she looked at him with her wonderful sky blue eyes that him feel as if he were soaring and made nothing matter to him besides the fact that he had her beside him. This was the place that he would watch her die.
As the woman made her way toward the park bench that a man stood beside she began to reminisce. Of the times that had been shared beneath the park lamp. The night that she had returned here after a particularly rough day at home and she had seen him sitting there with a bouquet of roses and a box of chocolates. The smile that had spread across his face had been contagious and the way his eyes sparkled like emeralds and made her feel as if she were standing beside an angel. Her angel, her own personal piece of heaven on earth. This was the place that she had met the one person who meant so much to her, and this was the place where she would watch him leave this world.
As she stepped into the lamp light a soft smile graced the man’s lips before slowly slipping away. He watched her eyes sparkle as they landed on him and for a moment he was drifting, just floating through space to a time where nothing seemed quite as grim. She watched as his eyes glimmered and could almost swear that she saw a faint outline of wings behind him, an outline that faded a little more everything she blinked until it was only darkness again.
“Charlotte,” he murmured and extended his hand to her.
“James,” she whispered back just as quietly, taking his hand softly in her own gentle grip.
There didn’t seem to be anymore words they could voice that would do this moment justice. They just stood in a comfortable silence and stared at each others eyes, enjoying the time they could to bask in the company of the other. Charlotte didn’t notice she was about to cry until her vision blurred and for a brief moment she lost sight of the man before her. In that brief moment she was in hell, it that one tiny second she had felt fear and agony and had seen demons that only clouded her vision more until she blinked away the tears and the angel appeared again. A soft yet grim smile graced his lips as he looked upon her and the demons fled from her mind.
“I’m so sorry, so sorry,” she whispered, continuing to mutter the words as she looked at the cement walkway beneath their feet.
He leaned forward and pressed his forehead against hers and breathed softly, his breath fanned against her face and she stopped whispering the repeated words. She leaned against him and let his even breathing calm her erratic heartbeat. They stood, their faces so close to each other for seconds but the time seemed to stretch on for hours until he slowly lifted his other hand, that still clenched the knife in his tight grip, and ever so gently ran his thumb along her cheekbone.
“We knew that this would happen eventually,” he told her softly and she nodded against his head.
“It still doesn’t matter, as long as we had the time that we did,” she mumbled and she grinned briefly before it slipped away again.
Carefully she reached to the holster that leaned against her thigh and pulled the nine millimeter gun from where she wished it could just continue to rest. She sighed and finally they pulled away from each other. A single tear ran down her cheek and a soft smile played along the edges of her lips.
“I think this is the best way to die,” she said gently, her words like a soft kiss. “To die in love, to die beside the one you love, and to die having known the feeling of love.”
“The best way to die is to die knowing that you’ll see the other soon,” he whispered back to her as a tear rolled down his face.
“Don’t cry,” she said, again her words a gently given kiss.
Slowly she raised her gun so that the barrel was pressed against his abdomen. He lowered his hand from her face so that the blade was gently laying across her throat.
“We’ll see each other soon,” he mumbled to her and a real grin crossed his face.
She smiled back at him, her eyes twinkled briefly as she pulled the trigger and he pulled the blade across her throat. Blood sprayed from his abdomen and splattered the pair in a layer of the shimmering red liquid. A vivid scarlet rushed down her shirt and they watched as their world exploded in pain before it completely faded from view.
This is the place where the two met, the place where they fell in love. It was the place that held so many lovely memories that beckoned them back every hour of the day. That was the place where the hell that they lived in faded away, if only for a brief second, it was the place where they truly felt the joy of life. It was the place where the two met, the place where they fell in love and the place where they watched each other take their final breath.

Far above the dark clouds two spirits sit in a park bench made of shimmering water droplets that reflects bits of light. They sit and watch as the lifeless bodies fall beside each other and stain the bench with a vivid red before limply tumbling side by side onto the earth. The two spirits watch what had once been their bodies fall into each others sides and they fit so perfectly together. They watch with a smile spread across their lips and a single tear trickling down their faces. Just as the tears fall from their cheeks the clouds they sit on rumble and rain falls onto the scene below them. Washing away the blood and leaving the two bodies in a pure sense of having died romantically
Sign up to rate and review this story