Categories > Original > Drama

I have Tourettes

by shadowwerss 0 reviews

This is a story together a couple days ago about me living with tourettes and how bad it is for me, making friends, doing well in school ect...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-06-05 - Updated: 2006-06-05 - 884 words - Complete

0Unrated
Living With Tourettes
By: David Koch
Hello, my name is David Koch and I have Tourettes Syndrome. Many people do not know about this disorder. The ones that do know what tourettes are, think of cursing when they hear the word 'Tourettes'. Yes, many children who have tourettes do say curse words, but a majority of them do not. There are other symptoms than just cursing. There are repeating words that they might have just heard, a clearing of the throat; a twitch that may range from a head twitch to I fell body twitch and many others. The kind of Tourettes I have, are cracking of the knuckles, neck, and back, a nose twitch, a clearing of the throat, and blinking.
I have had tourettes since I was in 3rd grade. I, being 16 years old, soon to be 17, means I have had tourettes for a good eight years. My 3rd grade teacher noticed it, and told me parents. My parents said they have noticed it too, but thought it would stop. Finally, I went to a neurologist, and he diagnosed me with tourettes.
At first people did not know what to think of me. Some people stared at me and ask why I was shaking my head. I told them I had Tourettes and said that I couldn't stop it. People thought that if they touched me of came close to me, they would get tourettes. I told them it was not contagious, but they did not believe me. All the friends I had, slowly started to play with me less and less, until I was almost friendless. I guess at that point of my life, in third grade, during the summer, and the beginning of forth grade, I was having a really tough time
Then people start to make fun of me. Those were the bad days. I would be just sitting at my desk, twitching a little and someone would imitate me and taunt me and would say 'Guess who I am?' And the response was 'Some retarded person?' Then they would laugh at me. I hated those people so much. I told to stop making fun of me but they would not. I got upset in school a lot but I tried not to cry. Some times tears would roll down my cheeks as I tried to stop myself from crying.
However, forth grade was not as horrific at fifth or middle school. By fifth grade I was on heavy medication, so, I had to drop out of accelerated math and my grades started to slip. During fifth grade, some night I would fall asleep on my floor at eight o'clock at night. As I was trying to read during the night, I would start to fall asleep because of the heavy medication. At the end of fifth grade, I only had one or two people I could call friends, but they would soon depart from me and I would eventually become friendless to the world.
My three years in middle school, grades six, seven, and eight, were also horrific. People teased me so much now, that I actually started crying in class. This one person, who used to always make fun of me, started to imitate me and push me around, after class so I started crying, dropped my books, sprinted toward him turned him around and flipped out on him. My grades went from bad to worse as I got into seventh and eighth grade. Also around this time, my only two real friends started to hang out with me less and less until I has no real friends I could talk to about anything, just kids I said hi to and talked to in school. By this point and time, I have been on almost a dozen different medications, not all at once, just one or two at a time, and my tourettes only improved a little bit. On a scale of one to ten, before my medication I was a ten, but, with the medication I was around a six or seven.
High school amazingly, has been a lot better then I thought it would be. I mean, during my freshman year this kid stole crap from me and didn't give it back so I flipped and broke down and cried. And also my grades haven't been too well. I did make honor roll (basically if your grades average to a B or better you get on this list. A or better is high honor roll). And now at the end of the school year I'm in danger of failing math which really sucks because my parents would flip if they found out I failed a course. But I try to make the most of it.
I just hope that one day my tourettes would just stop and then I could stop being labeled as 'different'. I mean, how am I different, if all of us, in some way, are different too. Just because I am different on the outside you think you know me? Well, you can't. You know nothing about me. You have no idea who I am and what I have been through, so stop judging me from a first impression. So, there you have it. The short version of me with tourettes.
Sign up to rate and review this story