Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > This Doesn't Hurt

3. Stop There, Let Me Correct It

by alligatorpie 5 reviews

"You heard the whole conversation." Pete said. "What's actually bothering you?"

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2011-08-22 - Updated: 2011-08-23 - 1834 words

0Unrated
A/N: Yeah, so, the Pete in this story is Pete Wentz, btw. Just realized I forgot to mention that in the last chapter. Whoopsie. So, anyways, enjoy!

Chapter Three: Stop There, Let Me Correct It

Jon and Spencer left after a while, saying that they were going to get my stuff into Brendon’s apartment, and promising to come back in the morning.

The nurse came in again, reminding me of which button of the Magic Remote That Controls Everything From The TV To The Incline Of The Bed would call the nurses station if I needed anything. She encouraged me to try to sleep, and left.

I closed my eyes, pulling the blankets up slightly, trying to ignore Brendon and Pete, who were both sitting in silence, not looking at anything in particular.

After a while, I heard Brendon’s voice.

“Do you think he’s asleep?” He whispered.

“It looks like it.” Pete said. “Ry!” He whispered. “Ryan.”

“Yeah, he’s out.” Brendon said. He sighed, and I could practically feel him rubbing his temples.

“Do you think that the nurse will bring me one of those icepacks?” Pete asked.

“I don’t know, man. Why?”

“My ass fucking hurts.” Pete groaned, and I heard him shift his chair.

“Did you really let Matt fuck you?” Brendon asked.

“Had to.” Pete said nonchalantly. “He was getting ready to head back when I found him… It was the only thing I could think of to buy Jon and Spence enough time…”

It took all my restraint to not pop upright and demand to know if that was true. I may have been in the hospital because of him, but it still hurt to know that Matt had slept with one of my best friends, without knowing that anything was wrong between me and him yet.

“It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve used sex to get what I want.” Pete added after a couple minutes. “Just the first time I didn’t do it for myself.”

“You’re a good guy, Pete.” Brendon said. “Not very many people would do that for somebody.”

“I’ll risk everything for my friends.” Pete said. “It’s not actually that huge a deal… All I risked this time was some personal comfort for the next day or so.” He chuckled dryly.

“Man, Ryan owes you big time.” Brendon stated.

“No he doesn’t.” Pete said. “What are friends for?”

“You have a fucked up view on friendship, Wentz.” Brendon laughed.

“Are you saying that you wouldn’t have done it?” Pete asked. “I mean, I don’t even have googly eyes for Ryan, and I fucked his… ex… boyfriend for him.”

“I don’t--” Brendon started, but Pete interrupted.

“Don’t you dare say that you don’t have googly eyes for him, Urie. I may not be able to move right now, but I’ll kick your ass day after tomorrow.”

Brendon sighed, and it took all of my restraint to not say anything.

“Admit it.” Pete said after a moment.

“No.” Brendon said stubbornly.

“Brendon!” Pete whined.

“Pete, shut up!” Brendon said. “You’re going to wake him up.”

Pete sighed.

“Hey, boys, visiting hours are over.” The nurse said. She moved over to the bed, and I feigned waking up.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Ry.” Pete said. He rose to his feet, and left the room, throwing a meaningful look at Brendon as he left.

Brendon’s face was bright red, and his head was in his hands. The nurse took the ice pack and left, dimming the lights as she went.

I watched Brendon as he pulled the three chairs together, adjusting them so he could lay down.

“Brendon?” I whispered.

“Yeah, Ry?” Brendon said quietly, looking up at me.

“Come here.” I whispered, holding my arms out to him.

He moved over to me hesitantly. I caught his wrist and pulled him closer.

“What are you doing?” He asked nervously.

“I can’t let you sleep on the chairs.” I said, rolling my eyes. “Lay down.”

“Um, okay.”

Brendon climbed onto the hospital bed next to me, and laid down, facing away from me. I pulled the blankets up over us, and watched him for a moment. He was stiff and almost completely unmoving. I rolled onto my side facing him, and wrapped my arm around his middle and pulled myself tight against his back. I bent my knees into his, and closed my eyes. I breathed in his comforting scent of smoke and guitar strings.

*

I was barely awake enough to realize that the nurse was there, rolling me onto my back and placing an icepack over my ribs.

“Can you hear me?”

“Mmmm.” I groaned, nodding and yawning.

She left, and I fell asleep again.

The next time I woke up, I could tell it was much, much later. The nurse was taking the ice pack, and I thought it was probably 3 or 4 in the morning. I yawned and tried to stretch, but found that I didn’t have enough room.

Brendon rolled over, putting his arm over me. His hand was resting lightly on my chest, and he buried his head in my neck, sighing deeply. His breath on my neck sent a shiver through my body, and I wrapped my arm around him, pulling him even closer.

The nurse shook me awake again, and this time, it was light outside.

“Good morning.” She said, smiling as I blinked rapidly, trying to focus my eyes.

“You’re still here?” I yawned.

“No, I’ve been in and out all night.” She said, looking confused.

“No, I mean… night shift. It sucks.” I said.

She shrugged.

“It’s not terrible. Free coffee.” She smiled. “Are you going to stay awake? I can bring you breakfast.”

“Yes, thank you.” I said.

She left, and I leaned back again. I looked over, and saw that Brendon was still wrapped around me like last night.

“Bren.” I whispered, shaking his shoulder gently. “Bren!” I said again, louder.

He stirred, and raised his head off my shoulder, blinking around blearily. He looked around, and after a moment, jerked away from me.

“Oh, Jesus! I’m so sorry, Ryan, I--”

“What?” I said, surprised as Brendon jumped from the bed.

“I, um, I’m going to go to the bathroom.” Brendon said, and he practically ran from the room.

I flopped back, confused. After a minute, I sat up again, and raised the bed, so I could lean back and sit up.

Pete strolled in after a few minutes, spinning his keys around his index finger.

“Hey, Ry.” He pulled a chair over to the edge of the bed. “Did you sleep alright?”

“As well as I can being woken up every hour.” I laughed. “You?”

“Alright, I guess.” He shrugged, shifting in the chair.

I knew what was wrong. He was still sore from Matt fucking him last night. Matt tended to not particularly care for the comfort of his partner, causing the post-sex soreness to last longer than it probably should. I wasn’t sure whether I should tell him that I was awake during his conversation with Brendon. There was something about Pete that insured that it was never long before he knew your secret, but I wasn’t sure.

“What’s wrong?” Pete asked.

Tell him? Don’t tell him? Tell him? Don’t tell him?

“Ryan.” Pete said sternly, reminding me of being chided by my parents as a young child. “Whatever it is, just tell me.”
“Okay.” I said, taking a deep breath. “Last night, when you and Brendon were talking…”

“You were awake.” Pete said, nodding. “Go on.”

“Well… Look, I’m really sorry about Matt, and--”

“Look, Ry, I said it last night and I’ll say it again: I’ll do anything for my friends. It’s not a huge a deal.”

“But, Pete--”

“No. Don’t say anything else about that.” He said, looking at me sternly.

I sighed, and looked away.

“What’s actually bothering you?” Pete asked. “You heard the whole conversation. You remember my No-Secrets policy, right?”

“Yes.” I sighed. “I’m confused. About Brendon.”

Pete motioned for me to continue after a moment of silence.

“I just don’t know what to do.” I sighed.

“Well, I can assure you, Brendon would treat you about a trillion and four times better than Matt. But you need to make sure that you actually like him before you do anything. Don’t rebound on him, or you’ll break it.”

I nodded.

“But… how do I know?” I whimpered.

“You just… do.” Pete shrugged. “If you don’t know how to identify if you like someone or not, then I don’t think I can help you.”

“Not funny.” I sighed, rubbing my head.

Brendon walked back in, and me and Pete both looked around.

“Hey, Bren.” Pete said.

“Hey, Pete.” Brendon pulled a chair up next to Pete, and after a meaningful look at me, Pete started another conversation.

*

“You sure there won’t be anymore problems?” Brendon asked the doctor for the 17th time.

“There will not be any problems.” The doctor looked tired, and like he was trying to resist rolling his eyes.

“I’m fine, Bren.” I piped in from my position sitting on the edge of the bed. I was swinging my feet, watching Pete stand in front of me. He had a cigarette in one hand and a lighter in the other. He was turning them both over in his hands, shifting from foot to foot.

“I just wanna make sure!” Brendon whined, wringing his hands.

“Let’s just go.” Pete sighed in exasperation.

I hopped to my feet, and followed Pete to the door. Brendon sighed heavily, and followed us, whining the whole way about side effects and stuff that causes death.

As soon as we were outside, Pete’s cigarette was between his lips with the tongues of flame dancing against the end.

Pete sighed and smiled, practically skipping over to his car.

“Are you feeling okay?” Brendon asked, walking next to me.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I said. To be honest, I was worried about what was going to happen with Matt. We lived in the same damn city, after all. I’m in a band that’s going to tour in a month. It wouldn’t be hard for him to track me down. I wasn’t worried for myself so much, but I was worried about my band mates. I knew they would put themselves between me and Matt, and I was scared about how bad they’d get hurt.

“You’re worried?” Brendon asked.

I nodded stiffly.

“About Matt?”

I nodded again. He smiled understandingly and slipped his hand into mine. I smiled at him and squeezed his hand.

A/N: Ohh, what now?? Please rate and review, it makes me soooooooo happy!

xxAnna
Sign up to rate and review this story