Categories > Original > Humor

All Because I Needed A Pencil

by BeatleBug 0 reviews

Grace just needed a pencil to take her first math test. Little did she know how something as little as that would change her day...

Category: Humor - Rating: G - Genres: Humor - Published: 2011-09-03 - Updated: 2011-09-03 - 1549 words - Complete

2Funny
I was in Miss Twillers’ 5th grade class when it all happened. I was just about to take my first math test when I noticed that I needed a pencil. I looked everywhere in my desk, but I couldn’t find one. I looked on the ground, but still, no pencil was found.

“Trying to find the answers to your test, Grace?” asked my teacher. Everyone giggled.

“No, ma’am,” I replied. “I was trying to find a pencil.”

“Oh,” she said. “Well, does anyone have a pencil Grace could borrow?”

Everyone looked around, but there was no pencil in sight except for the ones in their hands. Even Miss Twillers couldn’t find a pencil for me to use.

“Hey, I got one!” shouted Toni Lucas, the class clown.

“Thanks!” I told him, reaching for the pencil. But before you could say eraser, he pulled it back as if a shark was about to bite it off, making me land smack on my face, on the floor, giving me a bloody nose.

Miss Twillers then sent me to the office because she “didn’t know what to do.” I use quotation marks because when she called the office on the phone outside her classroom, I heard her say, “Just do something with her! Send her to the ER for all I care!” No wonder she’s a “Miss!”

When I got to the office, the school secretary, Mr. Pueblo, greeted me with a smile.

“You alright there, bud?” he asked, giving me another tissue.

“Yes, Mr. Pueblo. Thanks,” I answered.

“Don’t mention it,” he said. “Now, we won’t have to send you to the ER or the OR with a nose like that, do we?” he joked with an even wider grin.

“No,” I laughed, “I’m fine.”

“Just making sure,” he said.

I looked around the office when I spotted a nice, long pencil.

“Hey Mr. Pueblo, can I-“

“Sorry, bud. I have to get something from my car. I’ll be right back.”
“Okay. Bye,” I said. Oh well, I guess I’ll ask him when he gets back I thought. After that, I noticed that my nose had stopped bleeding. I was going to grab another tissue to make sure when-

“Well, well, well! Who do we have here?” a voice said. I turned around to see who it was. It was Mrs. Granger, my principal! If she saw me like this, I guarantee she’d think I’d gotten into trouble for sure!

“Uh, hi, Mrs. Granger!” I said, trying to sound normal. But all it did was make me sound like a frog that got stuck in its own throat.

“Ok, what did you do this time?” Mrs. Granger asked. “What got you over here to the office?”

“Well,” I said, “I got a bloody nose and was sent here. Mr. Pueblo had to get something from his car, so he left. But he said that he’d be back soon.”

“Oh, so that’s what happened,” she said understandingly. “I thought that you had gotten into trouble again.”

“Well, I thought- wait, what do you mean by, ‘again?’” I asked. “I haven’t gotten into trouble lately.”

“Oh, so it was a ghost that spray painted GRACE in big, bold letters on the side of the school?”

“No, but I didn’t do it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“Then who did it?”

“I don’t know!” I exclaimed. I was starting to get frustrated.

“Really?” she said.

“Really,” I told her.

“Okay then, I guess we’ll have to-“

“Mrs. Granger!” Mr. Pueblo burst into the room and shouted, “I found the graffiti culprit!”

“You did?” she asked, surprised.

“Yes, and I have him right here!” Then, he pulled out Jack Longboat, the shortest boy in school. “I caught him red-handed, too,” Mr. Pueblo said, pleased.

“Then if you did it,” Mrs. Granger said to Jack, “then that must mean,” she said, turning to me, “you didn’t do it?”

“That’s right,” I assured her.

“Oh! I am so sorry, Grace! There’s been a lot of confusion, and commotion, and-“

“That’s okay, Mrs. Granger,” I said quickly. “I understand.”

“How about I make it up to you. After all, you could have gotten in trouble for no reason at all! Especially since we’ve already gotten the police involved. So what do you say? Lunch with me?”

I thought about it for a while and finally said, “I say, let’s eat!”


~~~


We decided to go to Mario’s Meatballs, my favorite restaurant. I had just finished ordering my favorite meal at Mario’s Meatballs, their classic spaghetti and meatballs, when I noticed the waiter had a nice, newly sharpened pencil in his pocket. I decided to ask for it.

“Excuse me, sir, but could I-“

But it was too late--he had already gone off.

“Don’t worry, Grace--you’ll get what you need when he gets back over here,” Mrs. Granger assured.

“Ok, then,” I sighed.

Our food took a while, and I was worried about me missing school for lunch at Mario’s Meatballs. I started staring off into space, like I normally do in school, when suddenly-

“Oh my gosh! I am so sorry, ma’am! I didn’t realize what I was doing!” the waiter apologized.

You know when you’re not paying attention to something, say your ankle, when something happens, say you tripped on a soccer ball, and when someone asks you if your ankle is okay, all of a sudden you feel so much pain in your ankle? Well that’s what happened to me. But in this case, the ankle was my lap, and the tripping on a soccer ball part was the waiter dropping my steaming-hot spaghetti right on top of me.

“Oh, dear,” Mrs. Granger said, “you can’t come back to school like that! It will never do! I guess I’ll just have to get a new shirt and pair of pants for you! Come on- we’ll grab something to eat on the way.”

We left the restaurant and headed toward Terry’s Taco Shack, my favorite Mexican fast-food restaurant. We went through the drive thru to save time.

It felt weird to be in my principal’s car. When it comes to people like her, it’s hard to think of them as regular people. To me, it felt like I was in the back seat of a celebrity’s limo rather than just someone from my school’s car.

Anyway, I was sitting in Mrs. Granger’s car, when I noticed yet another decent pencil just sitting inside one of the cup holders.

“Mrs. Granger, do you think that I--"

“Grace, honey, what would you like to order?”

“Um, how about a Super Deluxe Taco with extra cheese?”

“Alrighty!” Mrs. Granger replied.

Super Deluxe Tacos are probably the biggest tacos in the world, but they are the only item on the menu that I will eat. They are also the only item on the menu that will actually fill me up, so I got it. Man, was I full in the end!


~~~


After Terry’s Taco Shack, we went to Wanda’s Wardrobe, a popular clothing place in town. One of the workers was a friend of Mrs. Granger’s, so we were able to get a discount on stuff. I noticed her friend had a lovely pencil, so I decided to ask to borrow it.

“Excuse me, miss, but could I--“

“Hold that thought, Grace," Mrs. Granger interrupted, “why don’t you try on this shirt with these jeans. I think you’ll like them.”

And she was right--the outfit she chose was perfect for me! And when I tried it on, it fit just right!

“Thank you so much, Mrs. Granger! I don’t know how--,"

“I’d love to talk more, Grace, but look at the time! We need to get to school!”

“Oh, right--school! Let’s go!”


~~~


After lunch and going to the store and everything, I came back to my classroom right when my class was going to lunch.

“Why, hello, Grace! You’re just in time for lunch!” Miss Twillers said. Then, Mrs. Granger rescued me from having a second lunch by coming in and telling Miss Twillers what had happened.

“Well this is just perfect!” Miss Twillers exclaimed. “Now, Grace can take her test while I have my lunch break and while everyone else goes to lunch! How about that!”

Then, as everyone left, I sat down at my desk to find that my test was still there. I was just about to answer the first problem when I remembered something very important-

I forgot to get a pencil.


When I first wrote this story, it was much more different--first of all, Mario's Meatballs was originally Olive Garden, and Terry's Taco Shack & Wanda's Wardrobe never even existed. Later, I read about a short story contest in a magazine, decided to submit this. It was so short, so I managed to think of more ideas of what could happen, and ended up deleting the original version. Unfortunatly, I didn't win the contest. Oh, well. People can always read it here! I hope you enjoyed the story!
Sign up to rate and review this story