Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > We Are the Infected

Blood Games

by TayBayBay 2 reviews

"At that point I didn't know if he was my captor, or my savior..."

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Published: 2011-09-08 - Updated: 2011-09-08 - 1888 words

0Unrated
My eyes fluttered open slowly, as I coughed a few times. The floor was cold against my face, and my entire body seemed to shake and ache. I coughed again, feeling an iron taste rise in my mouth. I spit up the blood, and tried to sit up. My eyes wouldn’t focus, there was a bright light shining from the center of the room. I blinked a few more times, looking all around me.
The floor was concrete, the walls lined in some kind of deep purple fabric. There was a drain at the center of the floor, underneath three lightbulbs that were suspended from the ceiling, hanging from thin wires. They swayed back and forth slightly, bringing light to the different corners of the room. I watched as the blood I had spit up slowly started to run down the slight slant of the room towards the drain. I wiped my sleeve across my chin, clearing my skin of the blood mixed with tears.
What was this place?
Two dark red lights illuminated from the far corner of the room, catching my attention. I saw him sitting in a chair, eyes glowing, staring down at me. I reflexively backed up against the wall, and wrapped my arms around my knees. Slowly, he pushed himself up from the chair, and began walking over towards me.
“Why are you crying, Ryan?” He asked. I hadn’t noticed the tears streaming down my cheeks until then, as I looked up at the menace coming near me.
“I’m not.” I lied. He shook his head, a smile twitching onto his lips.
“I’m not blind.”
“Who are you?” I asked, rather than give him a direct answer. He knelt down in font of me, and traced his finger through the line of my blood on the floor. His eyes illuminated again, but he took in a deep breath, and they faded back to brown.
“My name isn’t important.” He spoke softly, not prying his eyes from the blood that covered the tip of his index finger. I watched in fear, as he raised his fingers to his lips. He opened his mouth, but suddenly dropped his hand, wiping the blood onto the floor, and turning his head to look at me.
“Why am I here?” I tried a different question. His brow creased slightly.
“There’s something about you.” He said, not offering any explanation. I swallowed hard, not liking the sound of that.
“What about me?” I continued to ask, figuring if he was willing to talk, then why not?
“I’m not sure yet.” He squinted at me, sitting back on his heels. “You didn’t know those people tonight?”
“No...” I shook my head slowly, “Did you?”
“Not personally.” He admitted, shrugging a little. “But I know their kind, and that’s enough for me.”
“Their kind?”
“It’s not important.” He continued to stare into me. I fidgeted nervously, causing my body to remind me just hoe much pain I was in. I winced, causing the creature to back up a little. “You’re badly hurt.” He stated the obvious.
“Yes.” I said, glancing down at the rips on my shirt, exposing blood crusted slashes across my chest. He stood up, and walked over to a small table that stood next to his chair. He grabbed something from its surface and walked back to me. He glanced at me, as he reached for my jacket, pushing it off my shoulders. I let it fall to the ground, too terrified to move. He cleared his throat a little.
“Take this off.” He pulled at the bottom of my shirt a little. I nodded, pulling the fabric over my head and placing it down next to my jacket. “Lay back.” he instructed. I leaned back, until my back hit the cold concrete ground. He had a small vial in his hand, which he opened. Slowly, he poured a silvery liquid out of the vial onto the scratches across my chest. I winced as a sizzling sound came from my wounds. I squeezed my eyes shut, the stinging began to spread across my entire body. “You’re going to have to trust me.” He whispered. I laughed internally, trust the insane monster that kidnapped me, funny. But I nodded, opening my eyes and looking up at him. He lowered his face towards my chest, opening his mouth. My heart beat was uncontrollable. What the fuck was he doing? He dragged his tongue across my wounds, taking the silver serum into his mouth and the stinging along with it. I blinked a few times, watching is he moved over me like some kind of strange and beautiful animal. Finally he stopped, pulling away from me, and swallowed the liquid. He looked at me with nervous, almost child like eyes, before looking down at my stomach. I followed his gaze and saw that what had been deep, bloody, gashes not two minutes ago, were now pink lines that looked like scars from months of healing. I shook my head, unwilling to believe it. I lightly brushed my fingers against one of them, feeling no pain. I started to sit up, gauging his reaction to my movement. He didn’t flinch, rather he just watched me, confusion in his eyes.
“Thank you.” I said quietly. He nodded, still not moving away from me.
“I had to save you.” He looked down at his hands.
“You had to?” I asked. Maybe now he would give me some more answers.
“Yes.” He said, starting to stand up.
“Wait.” I asked, not trying to sound dominant or anything. I didn’t want to upset him. He cocked his head slightly, and sat back down.
“What?”
“What do I call you?” I asked, wrapping my arms around myself now that I was topless and freezing. He swallowed hard, and licked his bottom lip.
“Brendon.” He answered. I smiled slightly at the name. So... was Brendon someone to be afraid of? Or someone to care for? At that point I didn’t know if he was me captor, or my savior.
“Brendon...” I started, but stopped as his eyes began to glow again. He blinked, looking away from me nervously, and then came back to my gaze, his eyes their proper chocolate brown, “What are you?”
“There’s not a name for it. Not a proper one.” He explained, his voice still sounding so beautiful that it crushed me a little. No one should be able to affect someone so much just by the sound of their voice.
“You’re not human.” I tried to guide him. He nodded.
“No.”
“You’re not an animal, though.” I continued. He smiled, and nodded.
“No. Not exactly.”
“Those people back in the alley... are you the same as them?”
He looked a little hurt, and shook his head, “I’m not the same as them. I would never take my existence for granted, hunting things that are innocent, playing it all like a game.” His breath got heavy as he spit out the words.
“Okay, okay. So you’re not like them... but you are the same thing as them... physically?” I rephrased. He bit his lip, but slowly nodded. “And they were going to eat me...”
“Not you. Just your blood.” He explained. My eyebrows furrowed.
“What? Like Vampires?” I asked, what was this a bad horror movie? Brendon shrugged a little.
“I guess that’s the best way to put it.”
“So you suck blood... like Dracula style?” I still couldn’t wrap my mind around it.
“Yeah... but we’re not like what the books say we are.” He shook his head in disapproval, and began to stand up again. He picked up the empty vial from the floor, and walked over to the table. He set it down, and then turned back to face me. “We don’t get bitten, and then turn into one. It doesn’t work like that. You can’t become one of us unless you are destined to be one of us. If you try to turn someone who isn’t destined, they will just become sick and die.” He explained. I nodded, trying to follow along.
“How do you know if someone is destined?”
“You can smell it on them. But it’s more complex still... If you find someone, and you they are destined, you smell it. But that doesn’t mean that it is your job to turn them.”
I cocked my head in confusion.
“There is a scent, you know it right away. If you smell that scent, it is your duty to turn that person. If you smell the destiny on them, but it does not appeal to you, then you cannot turn nor drink from them. You leave them be until their maker finds them.” He explained in more depth.
“So what do you smell on me?” I asked. He bit down on his lip.
“You are destined. But not for me...”
“Then why did you take me here?” I was starting to get frustrated. He took a few long strides towards me, stopping at my feet and looking down. Putting out his hand, he looked at me intently before I took it in mine. He pulled me to my feet, and stood very close to me. His eyes were brown, but I could sometimes catch a glimpse of an amber glow. He put his fingers to my neck, pressing down slightly. I watched closely, as the red in his eyes faded in and out... with the beating of my pulse.
“There is a connection between us,” He began, his flashing eyes peering into me so deeply, I thought I might crumble underneath them, “and I don’t know what it is yet. But I won’t leave you out in that world, for you to be attacked by some careless fools, like those three were.” He said the words with such passion, I almost wanted to grab onto him, and ask him to never let me go. But even with all of the magic, and the mystery that he was, I was still weary of him. I still knew nothing about him. “So, I took you here so I could be near you. At least until your maker finds you...” He removed his fingers from my neck, making the flashing lights in his eyes disappear.
“And what if my maker never finds me?” I asked, as he backed away.
“Well, then I suppose you’ll die with me near you.” He said. The words caught me off guard. Did he plan to keep me here for the rest of my life?
“Brendon.” I said his name, watching the red flash in his eyes again, and then fade away. “If you try to turn me yourself, what will happen?”
“You may turn, but my body will reject your blood... and I will die.” He said flatly. I took a deep breath. Brendon turned his back to me, grabbing the few things on the table, and walked towards a door hadn’t noticed was there. He glanced back at me, “I’ll be back when night falls, make yourself comfortable.”
He disappeared into a dark corridor, and the door slammed shut behind him.
Sign up to rate and review this story