Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > If it looks like I'm laughing, I'm really just asking to leave...

Chapter 22: Awkward Silence and Discovery

by TheatreGeek 1 review

Frank doesn't hear anything from either of his friends for days, and when he finally finds Grace, she's definitely not herself anymore.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Ray Toro - Published: 2011-09-24 - Updated: 2011-09-24 - 813 words - Complete

0Unrated
I don't hear anything from either of them for days. My phone stays silent in my pocket, and I wander around alone at school. I have no idea what will happen. I don't know if Ray will ever speak to me again, and I don't know what will happen to Grace. Eventually, it all becomes too much, and I lock myself in a toilet cubicle at break, dialling Ray's number.
---- dialling Ray ----
My eyes flicker from one piece of graffiti to another nervously as I hear the phone ringing.
"Hello?"
" oh, hi Ray. It's me..."
"oh...hello Frank."
"Erm...." I begin to say, but Ray cuts me off.
”Frank, Grace told me. She told me everything, about you, about the bullies, about what she did. “
There’s a pause before I think up something sensible to say. “ S..so what are you going to do? What happened?” I hear high pitched squeals and the sound of cars going past on the other end of the phone, “Hang on Ray, where the hell are you?”
“I’m out. I felt like shit when I woke up this morning, understandably, so I didn’t go into school. I’m just walking around at this very moment in time…” He sounds pretty pissed, but I can’t be sure whether it’s at me or at Grace, or at both of us.
“Listen Frank, I don’t really want to talk to you right now. I don’t want to talk to her either. Just leave me alone for a while okay?”
“okay…” I say as the phone clicks. He’s hung up. My hand drops to my side and my eyes focus once again on the scribbles on the cubicle wall. The one directly in front of me reads:
"Frank Iero has no friends"
How appropriate.

Later on I try and call Grace, but she isn’t answering as usual. At activity I make my way to the little music room, hoping to find her there. I run into Mr Harrison on the stairs, and he nearly spills his coffee on me. “Oh! I’m sorry Frank! Are you looking for Grace? She’s in the usual room, but she’s been looking a little sad lately. Best go and cheer her up a bit eh?” He smiles warmly at me and takes a sip of his coffee, continuing down the stairs to his office. I push open the door to the room, the sound-proofing seal making a sucking noise. Grace jumps at the sound, her head shooting up from her ipod screen. Her eyes were shiny, but cold. There was no trace of the warmth and happiness I’d seen in them when I first ran into her, or when Ray had put his arm around her in the park. She seemed like a shadow of herself. I stood awkwardly in the doorway. We both didn’t say anything. Eventually I took a tentative step towards her, sitting down on a drum stool. She was looking down at her ipod again, not taking her eyes off the little screen. We sat in silence for about ten minutes, until she finally pulls her earphones out. I watch as she wipes away a single tear on her cheek. “Grace, you do know you can talk to me right? You helped me out, now it’s my turn.” I whisper, holding out my arms to her. She almost falls into them, her own long arms sliding around my neck and her hair tickling my nose. I let her cry on my shoulder until the bell goes, when she breaks away from me, wiping her now red eyes and re-tying her hair where it has fallen out of the ponytail. I catch the faint smell of her shampoo as she does so. “ Thanks Frank….I’ve got to….go to…” She sniffs, and pulls open the door again, practically running down the corridor and clattering down the stairs. I sigh and begin to leave, when I spot a little red book on the floor where Grace had been sitting. I pick it up and open it. I know I shouldn’t be nosey, but something about it intrigued me. I looked at the page in front of me, and my heart dropped.
I don’t understand what’s going on anymore. Everything’s gone wrong. I never thought that it would end up in this huge mess. I love Ray. I feel so amazing when I’m with him, like I can do absolutely anything. But…Frank makes me feel even better. But that’s stupid. It’s my fault that Ray said he can’t trust me anymore. I completely understand why Frank’s angry with me too. It is all my fault. I’m all alone again. Just as everything was finally working out….
Sign up to rate and review this story