Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist

A Week Or Two

by nettles 1 review

Edward's back from a mission - some Roy and Ed interaction. Ge

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Edward Elric, Roy Mustang - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-06-09 - Updated: 2006-06-10 - 704 words - Complete

0Unrated
5.

Ed was sitting between shelves at the library, breathing in the stale, dusty air. It was quiet, the pitter patter of white rain outside. It wasn't polluted in Amestris, unlike this other city he went to when it rained there, the dust dried on windows and the people had to clean because of rain, but the sky was clear and breathable after. Equivalent trade.

The windows were open, letting in wholesome light. Ed was happy for a silent moment.

4.

He figured that guilt felt like a cramp, a pinprick of worry that slid down his body. Roy made him feel guilty all the time. Hell, his own conscious did, and Al. He wondered if there was even an easy way out. But no, science was rarely easy, since science that was wasn't science he could respect.

"Niisan?" Al whispered, tinny and high-pitched. Ed wandered if anyone ever noticed how hollow he sounded and felt overestimated.

"I'm here."

"Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, sure, let's go." Ed got up, carrying a few books, "Research," he explained.

"It's good you're back." Al smiled, or rather, Ed could feel him smiling.

"It's good to be back. Where are we going?"

Ed checked out the texts with a flash of a his State Alchemists' pocketwatch. The keychain attached to it jangled happily. Outside, it was still raining. He was amazed Al hadn't trailed in wet. Hawkeye had driven him and was now driving them back, Ed commenting on how hungry he was. She smiled and dropped them off at headquarters with, "Edward, the colonel's expecting you."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm going, but food first," he cried.

"Niisan, the cafeteria's still serving if you want-"

"Sure, let's go."

Al left after watching his brother eat like an elephant. It'd be tomorrow before he could see him again and he needed some research time anyways.

3.

"Ah, I couldn't see you, but you're loud enough, Fullmetal." Ed had opted for kicking the door open, and stalked up to Roy, a smudged, stained, and crumpled marker-written report in hand.

"How was the mission?"

"Stupid. They just had to put an indicator into the water system, after they found the poison, and after I fixed it. Of course, the water will taste funny for a few days, but-" Ed was sitting on the couch, deliberately ignoring the pillow placed to one side.

"Besides that, Edward, your clothes have been cleaned and you can pick them up tonight."

"What? You didn't bring them! How hard is it to-"

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah, but I don't see what it has to do with you. I have to prep-"

"Want to go out?"

"Are you-"

"Then how about now?" Ed glanced at the clock, glared at Roy, threw the report on the desk, and nodded.

2.

It was weird because it felt fine, agreeing once in a while.

"Her laugh was unnatural!"

"You don't know how to appreciate women, Fullmetal." Roy laughed and Ed thought that that girl really was a useless heifer.

"She was fat. Tch, I don't see what so good about them anyways."

They were driving to Roy's apartment, and muddy soled from walking to the building, Ed kicked his boots off immediately after entering, grunted something and began looking for food. He would have to get a tune-up soon; his arm just squeaked.

"We just ate."

"Whatever."

Roy didn't comment on his joints' condition in the morning, either.

1.

Compasses were automatic centralizers. What was his? That miniscule bolt? Or the fitted bands of metal securing metal leg and arm to flesh? Roy had long decided his would be oxygen, out of necessity if not preference. It was all he needed to know. Oxygen was interesting, its properties and place in his, everyone's life, and the chemical euphoria it came with. Oxygen and hydrogen combusted, burning itself and refusing a catalyst.


Zero.

There was another disturbance, this time a week's journey. Al would accompany Ed. He came back sunburnt and successful, and Roy wondered if they should stay in next time. He'd ask in a couple of days when the novelty of a burnt Ed wore off. Whenever Ed was sunburnt, he healed the following day. It might have had something to do with Roy.
Sign up to rate and review this story