Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Escape

Chapter 1: The Den

by xpurplewolfx 0 reviews

Jared's missing, Shannon's worried, but is following up an anonomous phone call in the middle of the night wise?

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2011-11-10 - Updated: 2011-11-10 - 2651 words - Complete

0Unrated
Shannon Leto was pacing his living room, frustrated and worried. It was late, how late he did not know, but it was well past midnight. Whilst he wanted nothing more than the front door to open and a potentially drunken form stumble through it, he knew that he would most likely wring his scrawny neck.

Unable to stand it any longer he reached for his phone and pressed speed dial '2'. He waited for a familiar voice to answer as he drummed his fingers on a wooded counter top.

"H - Hello...", Came an extremely groggy and tired voice, "Sh - Shannon is that y - y - you?", A shuddering yawn brought Shannon to the conclusion that he had been asleep moments earlier

"Tomo!", he called

"Shannon... It's 3 o' clock in the fucking morning... what do you want!... you are OK aren't you?... Shannon?",

"Yeah... I'm OK... look Jared isn't with you is he?", Shannon asked holding his breath, he knew that it was a long shot, but it was better than sitting there wondering

"What?... Why on earth would Jared be here! He lives with you, remember?... Have you been drinking? And speaking of that guy... I could kill him! He hasn't spoken to me for days, but I bet you he still expects me to turn up for practise tomorrow,"

"You're not the only one who hasn't spoken to him -", Shannon quickly cut off Tomo's queries, "- For five night's now he hasn't come home! And I haven't seen him in the day because he runs into his room before dawn and locks himself in it all day! Doesn't come out to eat or anything!"

"Jesus, Shann! Why on earth didn't you smash his bloody door down?"

"I would have today... except, he didn't come home at all today... I'm really worried Tome, I mean it's not as if he's simply out on the piss all night is it?",

"He could be... you never know, 'sept I'd hate to see the state he's in after five nights of getting hammered, butmaybe that's all it is, and he locks himself in his room so that you can't tell him to stop it... not that he'd listen, he didn't when we told him not to pull that stupid weight gain stunt for that film!"

"The thing is... I don't think so... I went in his room earlier and well -",

"What? What is it?", Shannon took a deep breath and closed his eye's as he remembered the state of his younger brother's room.

"Well, it looked like a wild bear had been locked it there... Everything was overturned...there was shredded paper... and blood -"

"- Blood! Are you sure!"

"...Yeah, I don't know if it's his or not... I also hear him crying most of those days... Oh, God I should have done something sooner!"

"Calm down Shann it's all right... look I'll come over now, he'll be fine, maybe it's just a crazed fan had gone into his room while you were out? In the meantime, why don't you try calling some people he could be with."

"Ok, but look, don't come over now, leave it too the morning! Look thanks Tomo, sorry it's late I just... Ah, you know how it is with that guy! I could kill him, but I love him more than anything

"I know Shann... I know...",

The friends exchanged good-bye's before hanging up. Shannon shook the tiredness from his head before he dialled another number. When the phone was answered Shannon had to hold it further from his ears; Music wasblasting, people were shouting and laughing.

"Gerard? Gerard can you hear me?", Shannon called over the ruckus

"Shannon!, how's it going?", an extremely drunk sounding Gerard Way Shouted into the phone, and by the distortion of his voice Shannon guessed that he was holding the phone the wrong way round.

"Look -", Shannon's voice was drowned by a rowdy cheer in the background followed by Gerard shouting at somebody in the distance "Gerard! Listen have you seen -"

Shannon was cut off once again by another background noise. This time it sounded like the phone was being taken of Gerard. Shannon rolled his eyes and waited. 'Typical' he thought 'The one time I need him, and he's pissed as a parrot in some club in the middle of the night'

"Hey, Shannon", it was Mikey, Gerard's brother, Shannon guessed that he had gone to the toilets for some quiet, "Sorry about Gerard... you know what's he's like. I drew the short straw and I'm driving! Can't drink a thing...", he laughed

"Mikey, Jared's not with you is he?"

"Jared... No why, should he be?",

"Nah, it's nothing never mind just wondering... Thanks Mikey," Shannon sighed

"You okay?"

"Fine thanks, Jared's just being Jared..."

"I know what you mean", Mikey replied with a knowing laugh, "Okay... See ya soon Shann! I'll ring you if I see him"

"Brill, thanks!". Shannon put the phone down with bitter disappointment and a prickle of fear. Jared had never behaved like this. He knew that something was seriously wrong.

He grabbed his quilt and pillow and dragged them to the front door. He had decided to sleep there just in case Jared decided to come home. He was just pulling the sheet over him when the phone rang. Shannon's breath hitched in his throat as his heart skipped a beat. He raced to the phone not caring to check the caller I.D, praying to hear Mikey's or Jared's voice. Instead, a cool and deep voice answered

"Shannon Leto", It was a statement not a question yet Shannon paused before confirming his identity.

"Who is this?", Shannon was slightly frustrated, not only was he unlikely to have news on his brother, but this was probably some crazed fan or determined paparazzi.

"... It doesn't matter, are you alone? Someone may be listening!", Now Shannon was confused, why would a pap care for preying ears?

"Errr... yeah, look wh-"

"- meet me at dawn. You know that old warehouse on the edge of town...", The voice waited for Shannon toanswer "yes" before continuing, "Do not ask questions just make sure you're alone!"

"And why on earth would I do that? I'm not planning on being abducted or murdered or anything, and I'm pretty sure that anonymous phone calls in the middle of the night usually equate to those things if you arrange to meet that stranger in a dilapidated warehouse!"

"Shannon, I can promise you that I do not want to hurt you... I know about your brother, and I think that you deserve to know... even if they don't want me to tell you.

Shannon began to bombared the man with questios to which he received no answer,

"You don't have to come, it's your decision...", and with that he hung up. Shannon felt like he had been punched in the abdomen. His mind was reeling 'did this man really know about Jared?' he guessed that there was only one way to find out.

XxX

Shannon had left the house at half past five after a sleepless night. For better or for worse, this was likely to be his only chance at finding Jared. Of course, Shannon was not naive, he had called Tomo shortly before he left and told him to call the police and come and if he was not out of the building in two hours.

Shannon drove to the outskirts of L.A to an old, abandoned industrial estate. Only one building remained and it was a mystery to many as to why it had not been demolished. The area was completely deserted, to the point where it disconcerted Shannon. There were no vehicles, only the distant hum of traffic from the city. Shannon walked over to the rusted steel door of the warehouse, ignoring all of the 'No Entry' and 'Private Property' signs. He nervously looked around the empty area, wondering if he was about to make the biggest - and possibly last - mistake of his life, he knocked the door. Barley a heartbeat later the door swung open, causing Shannon to recoil in surprise. He slowly crossed the threshold whilst a horad of anxious moths buzzed around his innards.

The inside of the warehouse was, what Shannon considered , rather typical of old, dilapidated warehouses. It was large and draughty, due to the chunks of corrungated iron missing from the roof and walls. An array of aged,abandoned and rusted metal was strewn around the warehouse. Some looked like old machinery, others, just brick-a-brack.

Sorry, an error has occurred in attempting to retrieve results. Please try reloading the page.

BANG! Shannon wheeled around as the door that he had just entered from slammed shut. Shannon seriously contemplated just running away as far as he could and pretend that he had never received that call. However, a larger slightly less reasonable part of him told him to stay. Shannon wrapped his sleeved arms around his torso to protect him from the cold and try to shrink the goose bumps that had very little to do with the draught. He peered around his surroundings, wondering where he was meant to go, but not one other living soul seemed anywhere even remotely near. So how had that door opened? It looked like a set that may appear in an action movie. Shannon was reminded of a British TV show called 'Torchwood' which he sometimes watched and half expected a Pteridactial to come swooping down.

As he looked up, he noticed something that nearly sent him to the floor. A door, which he had not previously noticed, had opened - silently - on the far wall opposite Shannon. A dark human shape was standing in it.

"Shannon Leto...", it was that same calm, deep and commanding voice, yet it was not uncivil, "come"

Before Shannon had realised it, he had followed the figure through the door and had been offered a seat on the other side of a large desk. Shannon was completely non-plussed. It was like he had walked into an entirely different building, not simply another room. Far from the neglect and rust he had been expecting this room resembled the office of a well-renowned inspector detector. It was well decorated - carpet, painted walls, working electricity and all - and many photos bearing scribbles and notes adorned the walls; As though he had been trying to find the culprit of a criminal investigation. The man took a seat on the other side of the desk from Shannon. The desk divided them as does a ravine, it divided them; the man who knows from the man who seeks.

"What is this place?", Shannon asked

"It is 'the Den'", He replied simply, "But I know that you aren't here to ask petty questions, nor am I going to answer them, so why don't you ask me about what you really want the answer to?", Shannon guessed that this man enjoyed being in control.

"Ok, what do you know about my brother, where is he and is he all right?", He kept his voice calm yet it maintained a clipped edge to it.

"Well, I do know a lot about your brother and yes, I know where he is... As for the last one, I guess that the answer to that is more about perspective."

Shannon was beginning to dislike this man

"Please, I'm not here to play games and if you don't answer me now then I'll just leave and go to the police 'cause I'm willing to bet that this place isn't for completely legal activities."

"Again, that depends on your perspective... Well, the problem is, I can tell you what is wrong with your brother,unfortuantely I doubt if you will believe..."

"Try me", Shannon said raising his brow.

"Hmmm, as you wish", The man purred, "Mabey we should start with me, my name is Caspian and I... deal... with matters such as your brother -"

"- But what? -"

"- please do not interrupt, Shannon. I found your brother four days ago lying in the depths of an alley way, he was confused and I recognised it immediately! I tried to get him to come with me, but lets just say that he hasaccumulated quite a temper since the change." Caspian paused as though waiting for Shannon to ask what 'the change' was, he did not so Caspian continued, "You found blood in your brother's room, gauge marks in the walls from his frustration and anguish... He returns to himself, or there abouts, by day, but his memory of the night before will return to him. He'll remember what he did... and it tears him apart",

Shannon was engrossed in the man's words, for one how on earth did he know the state of Jared's room? Those words scared him. What had Jared done? What did he mean by return to himself? How did Caspian know that Shannon had heard Jared's anguished cries?

Caspian leaned back against the chair, causing the leather to screech. He Entwined his fingers as he studied Shannon's features as though Shannon's questions were etched on his face. He took a deep, nasally breath.

"Mr. Leto, what do you know about Vampires?",

"Vampires?", Shannon let out a laugh and sigh of relief. This was a ll some practical joke. Shannon had to admit that Jared had really out done himself this time, "Well, Mr. Caspian, I would never put you as a 'Twihard' but evidently you have been reading too many Twilight books -",

"- You think I am lying?",

"Okay Jared, Joke's over. Very funny, you had me for a moment... You win", Shannon spoke to the room",

"Shannon! This is no joke! Your brother has killed six people, one of them was a young girl whom he killed the night before the last. That's why he didn't come home, we decided enough was enough and brought him here -", Shannon threw up his hands,

"Wait-wait-wait a minute! You honestly expect me to beleive my brother -what- a vampire?"

"Why would I lie? I could show you the girl's body if you want... Why are people so narrow minded? Why can't vampires exsit? Why can't Werewolves and dragons exist?",

Shannon would have spit out water had he been drinking any

"Werewolves! Dragons! your telling me they exist!", His voice was exasperated

"As far as I know Dragons don't... but they could! That's my point... and yes of course werewolves exist, where do you think all of the stories come from and the livestock that goes missing?", Shannon shook his head, this was too much.

"Okay... let's say what your saying is true. People would know! I mean, they would see them, be killed by them -",

"But they do and they are! It is just covered up! Look, I'm on your side I have no desire to lie to you."

"Hang on... I thought you said that he becomes a vampire at night and returns to himself by day, I thoughtVampires were always Vampires, isn't that a bit were-wolfish?"

"It only happens for the first week or so after every change, Jared doesn't stop being a Vampire at day, he just stops being an amoral-bloodthirsty killer."

"What about my brother? You said you have him.", This time Caspian sighed.

"I'm sorry Shannon... at the moment he is not your brother. But I promise you that I am doing all that I can to reverse him back... and I think that it is time to say good-bye ",

Shannon had not been aware of the person standing behind him until he felt hands around his neck. Before he could shout out something sharp pierced his neck. He began to feel lightheaded and weak. He slumped in the chair, his world growing black.

Then nothingness consumed him.
Sign up to rate and review this story