Categories > Original > Mystery

New Beginings

by KeepOnLiving 1 review

When Molly gets a new chance at live with an American family things seem to be looking bright. That is until she finds a secret about that the family that could change things forever.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2011-12-04 - Updated: 2011-12-05 - 937 words

0Unrated
Dust dances in the light filtering in through the dirt covered window, twisting its way down towards the already covered floor boards. My fingers trail mindlessly through the thin layer of gray, forming lines, causing more dust to soar into the air. I cough into my left elbow before continuing with my senseless doodles. No noises reach my ears, no giggling, not even the sound of shoes hitting the wooden stairs just outside of my door. Everyone is eating, eating a meal I refuse to consume.

Apparently I’m supposed to be leaving; getting out of this place. Really I’m glad to be going but then again this dark, musty old building in the heart of modern London is all I’ve even known. I don’t quite understand how a family from America could find out about a simple orphan girl like me but they did and they are taking me away from my home.

I’ve had my belongings packed in my black and white checkered messenger bag since I was told I’d be leaving. That was about a month ago. Someone should be here to take me to the airport in about an hour.

“Molly, I come in?” Lisle, a little four year old asks, her head sticking through the partially open door.

Nodding, I watch her trot over to me, light blonde curls bouncing as she plops down. Lisle strips the bracelet from my wrist, playing with the jade beads. Even from the first day here Lisle has loved that bracelet. I’m pretty sure I’m going to let her keep it when I leave.

“Pretty Molly,” she says still twisting the beads around.

Lisle, her blonde curls, bright blue eyes always so full of wonder, porcelain skin with rose coloured cheeks; she reminds me on of one of those expensive baby dolls I could never afford. I’ll miss her the most. She’s like my little sister. I’m so scared of what will happen to her once I’m gone.

“Lisle,” I whisper, trying to not cry, she can’t see that. “Lisle, sissy has to go bye – bye.”

Her angel face screws up in confusion, freckled nose all scrunched, “Question.”

I knew she wouldn’t get it. Cold metal hits my teeth as I pull my bottom lip into my mouth, chewing on it. How am I supposed to explain this to a four year old?

“Molly has to go with a family Lisle,” I answer, feeling the water building up behind my eyes, a lump forming in my throat.

“Me come too?”

Shaking my head I pull my lip back between my teeth, closing Lisle’s hand around the bracelet and pointing to the door. The sound of shoes hitting the stairs lets me know she’s gone. Leaving is going to be so much harder than I’d ever thought.

Metal squeals against metal and bright afternoon sun streams into the room I normally keep so dark. Squinting against the beams I slowly walk along the ledge, my shoes sending dirt and leaves rushing towards the street below. Sun burns my skinny jean covered legs as I sit on the roof, watching a pigeon fly around.

Leaving is going to be so difficult. Down below a black car pulls up in front of the building, the driver getting out and disappearing through the big front doors. The rock in my hand is released, flying through the air, landing in the street.

Sighing I climb back through the window and manage to pull is shut just as sister Marie walks in followed by the driver. Hell starts here.

Buildings whiz past, blurring as horns sound and tires screech against pavement. The scenery blurs into a mass of green, brown and blue as the flood gates open. Seeing little Lisle waving goodbye on the front step broke me. She thinks I’m just taking a day trip and that I’ll be back later tonight. She’ll be confused when I don’t come to tuck her in.

Pulling my eyes away from the black strip of road leading to the airport I look at my shoes. The black high-tops are anything but new, the toes drawn all over, the material faded a little. My bottom lip finds its’ way between my teeth, the cold metal so familiar. What if these people don’t like me?

“Do you have your passport Miss Molly?” the driver’s voice pulls me from my thoughts.

Reaching into the front pocket of my bag I touch the plastic cover and nod. My voice has deserted me for the time being.

The driver escorts me up until I reach airport security. He leaves me with a smile and a nod. I’m on my own now. Thank goodness my plane doesn’t leave until twelve. I have an hour to find my gate.

The airport really isn’t that big. Gate nine is the last one on the left side. I sit quietly, listening to my music. No one bothers me. No one asks questions. The only one who actually talks to me is an overly skinny flight attendant who directs me to my seat on the plane.

As we begin to take off I shut my eyes. This is my first time on a plane. No one told me how it works or what I’m supposed to do. I figure sleeping is the best way to get through it all. When I wake up I’ll be in America. When I wake up my entire life will have changed.
Sign up to rate and review this story