Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Pools of Vaisha: Book One

Chapter Five: Amidst the Carnage (Part Two)

by MatthewMorin 1 review

Master Danin makes his grand debut!

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-12-22 - Updated: 2011-12-22 - 718 words

0Unrated
Isolated fires spotted the charred remains of the large building. Thin silver smoke snaked into the dark, cold sky. The snow around the building had long melted and soaked into the tan dirt, turning it brown. Metal figures marched through the ruins, searching for something—or someone.
Master Danin stood atop the gate of the city, watching the soldiers from a distance. He held a gauntleted hand on the hilt of his sword, and all but his head shone with silver. A cape red as blood rested on his shoulders and draped over the lower part of his legs to the ground. His shoulders were wide, and his arms thick. His beard was a mix of gray and black twines. And his wise eyes were begging to see those men dead.
Then something else entered his field of vision—Seraph. And he was trailing a girl behind him. They were hiding in a building untouched by soldiers and flames just across the road of the soldiers.
Master Danin shuffled in an awkward way, trying to make sure not to give himself away with his armor. He made his way to the ladder down. He easily avoided the soldiers until he got to the building.

Seraph squeezed Koé’s hand when he felt her begin to shake. The soldiers were certainly intimidating. And now one had entered the building. They heard the man’s feet hit the floor as he walked through the common room below.
Koé and Seraph both turned to look at the other’s pale face. Their hearts had frozen from fear. The footsteps trailed up the stairs. And then the door opened.
Immediately, Seraph sighed in relief. Koé turned to look, and only yelped in surprise. She had never met a Blade Master before. Seraph knew this man? He knew Master Danin? Her eyes couldn’t decide who to focus on.
“Boy, how many times must I tell you not to leave home?” he asked, focused on Seraph. His face spelled anger, but his eyes showed love.
“I couldn’t help it, Father.”
Father? Master Danin was Seraph’s father?
“And who are you?” Master Danin’s eyes bore into Koé as he asked the question.
Koé could feel her face heat. She was sure her face looked like a large cherry. “Um…” she tried to speak, but couldn’t force herself to.
“She’s Koé,” Seraph said for her. She sighed in relief.
Master Danin raised an eyebrow. “Koé, huh?” His eyes filled with suspicion and Koé flinched. She was afraid he’d seen through her. “And what does Koé do?”
She had to say something. “I write.”
“You must be in a good family to be able to just write. Are you the next Mellisor?”
“We don’t have time for this.” Seraph broke in with a harsh whisper, and Koé thanked him silently. “The soldiers are going to hear us.”
But he waited to long. The soldiers had taken notice. Six of them began to march towards the building.
“Children,” Master Danin whispered. “There’s an exit at the back. We’ll head there and sneak out.”
The two nodded then Master Danin ducked under the door, and darted down the hall. The two behind him struggled to keep up and stay quiet while doing it.
Koé thought Seraph even more peculiar. If what the people say the Blade Master’s have to do to prove their loyalty is true, Master Danin shouldn’t be able to have children. What made Master Danin want to adopt him? Koé never was strong in Vaisha, nor could she sense other’s strength. That may be what he wanted Seraph for—his power. It was still questionable.
They made it out of the door, and into the street. The gate was farther away, but Master Danin wasted no time running after it. And the soldiers wasted no time coming through the door, either. Seraph was running too fast for Koé, and had to slow down.
The open metal gate got closer and closer as they passed each house. The soldiers also got closer, and closer. Seraph picked up the speed as he pulled Koé onto his back. She held on tight.
When they reached the last house, their hearts sunk. Soldiers were waiting for them.
Sign up to rate and review this story