Categories > Original > Romance

Butterfingers & Zombies

by tjsparkles 1 review

Junk food + zombie movies equals a first date that neither of them will forget. Oneshot.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2011-12-29 - Updated: 2011-12-29 - 988 words - Complete

0Unrated
First date

After a particularly rough, brutal day at Wal-Mart, or, as Robin referred to it as, Hellmart, the redhead was extremely grateful to be home. She planned on turning off her phone, so that no one could reach her, have a nice long soak in the bathtub, and spend the rest of the night talking to her best friend and boyfriend.

Robin had just gotten out of her work clothes and into her pajamas when she heard a knock at her door. Confused as to who it could be, she made her way to the door, and opened it cautiously. Surprise flooded her face when she came face to face with her boyfriend.

“Knock knock. I come bearing zombie movies and candy,” Josh said with a grin.

“Candy?” Robin perked up considerably.

“Yeah, candy. I figured you had a pretty tough night.” Josh settled himself onto the couch beside of Robin, slinging an arm across the back of it as he looked over at her. “There’s also a six-pack of Dew in my truck. Figured I’d bring as much junk as possible.”

“Today was brutal,” Robin sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. “What kind of candy did you
bring?” She eyed the bowl suspiciously.

“Only the best,” Josh replied as he placed the bags of candy between them. “Reeses and Butterfingers, of course.” He motioned with his hands. “Go ahead, dig in. There’s more than enough for both of us.”

“Where have you been all my life? Marry me?”

Josh turned red at that.

“Uh……” his voice trailed off, unsure of how to answer the question. Robin laughed at his reaction and threw her arms around Josh’s neck, hugging him tightly. This only made Josh turn even redder, as he tried to brush off what he’d done.

“No big deal, I just remembered you saying that they were your favorite.”

“You remembered because you’re a sweetie!”

“I’m not….” Once again, Josh found that he didn’t have a response to Robin’s compliments, so he just remained silent.

“Yes, you are. And did you say zombie movies?” Robin smiled. "Does that mean I get to cling and cuddle during the scary parts?"

“I did,” Josh answered. “28 Days Later sound good? I thought we’d start off with something less gory and work our way up to the really gross ones.”

“That sounds good to me.”

Josh smiled gratefully, and Robin scooted closer to him, her head resting comfortably on his shoulder as if it had always belonged there. Her attention turned to the movie, and when Josh was sure that Robin’s attention was completely held by the movie, he squeezed her shoulder and placed a soft kiss to the top of her head, then turned his attention to the movie as well. Robin didn’t say anything, but her cheeks turned a bright red in response to the gesture.


Roughly two hours later…

The movie had just finished up, and the bowl of candy that had been placed beside of them was now empty. Josh groaned to himself as he checked his watch and noticed what time it was. As much as he really didn’t want to leave, he had to due to the fact that he had to get up at an ungodly hour the next day, and he knew that if he missed his flight, Patrick would miss his as a result, as he depended on Josh to wake him up. So, rather reluctantly, the blue eyed man sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“What’s wrong?” Robin asked, noticing Josh’s change in attitude.

“As much as I really, really don’t want to, I should probably get going.”

“Oh.” Robin couldn’t hide her disappointment.

“Yeah..” Josh sighed, pissed that the night was over before it had even really began. He contemplated calling Patrick back and telling him to get a damn alarm clock or something—he was busy and he didn’t want to bail on Robin and leave her thinking that he left because she’d made him feel uncomfortable. “Early flight tomorrow.”

“Awwww.” Robin nuzzled his cheek. “It’s okay, Josh, I understand.”

“I know, but—“ Josh’s voice trailed off. “Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

Josh sat up fully, bending over to slip into his sneakers. After he’d tied them, he shot a glance Robin’s way.

“What are you doing Tuesday?”

“I’m off, so nothing,” Robin replied. “I’m free, why?”

“Maybe I can make it up to you then.” Josh leaned in and kissed Robin’s cheek, causing the redhead to blush. “I’ll get in touch with you then?”

“Okay, that sounds good.” She, too, was disappointed that their first date had ended so quickly, but it was due to circumstances completely out of Josh’s hands, and Robin understood that. Josh shot her a smile once more, before promising that he’d get in touch with her before Tuesday, and then left, leaving the redhead alone.

It wasn’t until later that night, when Robin was cleaning the discarded candy wrappers off of the couch, that she noticed the crumpled brown hoodie on the far end.

“He must’ve forgotten his hoodie,” she mused to herself, before picking it up. The item of clothing was engulfed with Josh’s scent, and as Robin inhaled deeply, she instantly felt her muscles relax. She wondered how long she could keep it without Josh noticing, and as the redhead contemplated this, she slipped the hoodie over her head, pulling her arms through the sleeves.
The clothing almost clung to her, as though it was a second skin, and Robin smiled as she made her way back to her bedroom.

Maybe having a part of Josh there with her, even if it was just a simple item of clothing, would help her sleep tonight.
Sign up to rate and review this story