Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco

Murphy's Law

by Kaleidoscope_Eyes 2 reviews

Ellie is homeless and living on the streets with her dog when she meets Brendon.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-01-15 - Updated: 2012-09-10 - 1405 words

1Original
Brendon Urie was used to the people on the streets. He was used to the homeless people asking for change, and the people performing to make a quick buck. What he was not used to were young girls standing on the sidewalk strumming guitars lazily while singing softly.

The girl in particular looked ragged, like she had been on the street for a while. She had short choppy, brown hair and wore tattered clothes. Her shirt was a baggy plaid one with stains all over and her pants were nearly falling down. She was about 5'8" and skinnier than should be healthy. Brendon thought she couldn't be older than 18 but what did he know, he'd never met her before.

The song she was strumming seemed oddly familiar but he couldn't place it. She wasn't singing loud enough for him to tell either. She was looking down onto the ground not paying much attention to anything. There was a dog sitting next to her with its head in its paws. Then he heard her voice. He knew what song she was singing, it was one he himself had sung many times.

"Some will win, some will lose, some were born to sing the blues. Oh, the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on and on"

He stood and listened to her as she finished the song. When she finished, she just stood for a moment. Not aware that anyone was watching. Brendon cleared his throat.

She jumped a little and without looking up replied, "Sorry if I'm in your way, I was just leaving anyway." Her voice was laced with sadness. She began putting her guitar back in her case and the dog stood up.

Brendon reached out his hand to stop her, "No, no. That's not what I meant. Play another."

She looked up and her eyes grew wide, "You—you're—"

"Brendon Urie," he held out his hand for her to shake.

"Ellie Banks." She shook his hand vigorously.

"Please, play another." He gestured for her to continue playing.

Her brows furrowed and she bit her lip nervously. "What do you want to hear."

"Anything, just play something."

She looked down for a moment then began to play a song Brendon had never heard before. It started off slow and paced. "Convoluted dreams written on my arms in black ink, seeping into my veins stopping my heart with its pleasant poison. The toxins bring only relief the poison grants some form of release. The only light I've seen was shining through your eyes and now even that's dimmed. All I want is to be ok again."

He stopped her before she finished playing, "Did you write that?"

"Yes..."

He pulled out his phone and began to dial. "Hey Spence...Nothing really, listen can you meet me at my place?...No it's important. I've got something to show you...D.right cool, man. See ya then."

As he was talking Ellie had packed up her guitar and began walking down the sidewalk with the dog following close behind.

"Wait, wait!" Brendon ran towards the girl, "Come with me." Ellie looked confused for a moment before walking with him.

***

Spencer walked into Brendon's apartment, "So what did you want to show me dude?"

Ellie was sitting on the couch silently with the dog laying down in front of her. Brendon gestured toward her, "This is Ellie, I met her on the street today."

She waved her hand and said a quiet "hello."

Spencer walked toward her and extended his hand for her to shake. "Hi. So...this is all?"

"She plays guitar, and writes her own songs. Show him!"

Ellie looked nervous but pulled out her guitar and played the same song. She stopped in the middle, "I'm sorry. I just—I’m really nervous."

Spencer looked at her, "It's alright."

"So, did you come out here to be a musician?" Brendon asked excitedly.

"No, I was actually in college." She replied quietly.

"For music, or what," Spencer asked.

"No, math. I really like math. Well math and theatre I was double majoring." She explained to the two.

"Was? You're not anymore? I mean you can't be a day over 18."

"I'm 19, and no not anymore...I kind of...flunked out..." Ellie looked down at her feet.

"Oh...damn." Spencer looked at Brendon. "So what, you live on the streets?"

"Well yeah, I lived in a dorm and had an on-campus job so when I flunked out I had to move. I had enough money saved up to get an apartment but only had enough for a month, so I got evicted," she said quietly.

"Why didn't you go home to your parents or something," Spencer asked.

Ellie pulled her knees to her chest, "I haven't talked to them in two years," she said quietly. The dog stood up and put its head onto the couch next to her. She looked down and started petting it.

"What's your dog's name?" Brendon asked suddenly.

"Murphy," she replied without looking up.

"Why Murphy?"

"Murphy's law." When the boys didn't answer Ellie looked up. They sat with puzzled looks on their faces. "You know, Murphy's law? Anything that can go wrong will. Murphy is kind of accident prone," she said with a smile. She crossed her legs and ruffled his ears.

Brendon laughed. "You're clever. So how long have you had him?"

"Three months I guess. He's been with me most of the time I've been on the streets." She smiled down at the dog.

"You've been homeless for thre months!?" Spencer was baffled, he knew two months wasn't a long time but it could feel like forever.

Ellie half smiled. "No it’s been about five months now. I found Murphy eating out of a dumpster. He was a stray. I’ve got a soft spot for dogs."

"So when was the last time you ate, you look starving."

Ellie looked up as she thought and replied. "About atwoweek sago I guess."

Brendon stood up and walked into the kitchen. He walked back out with a take-out container and a fork, "It's leftover mus-h-upork." He handed it to her and added, "You can just sit here and eat; I need to talk to Spencer privately." He pulled Spencer into the kitchen and Ellie called a thank you to them as they left.

"So what do you think of her?" Brendon asked animatedly.

"She's cool I guess, why?"

"What do you think? " he said sarcastically.S"he's a great guitarist, has a great voice, and she writes her own songs!"

"Brendon, no. We can't—"

"I think we should help her out!"

"Brendon—"

"Spencer, she’s a great guitarist, she writes her own songs, and just look at her! She needs someone to help her out, I mean hell! She’s been on the streets for five months!"

Spencer rubbed his temples. He knew Brendon could be really stupid sometimes but never like this. "Fine." He would humor Brendon for now, but he was sure this would not work out.

"Great! Now could she stay with—"

"God dammit Bren, I knew you were going to do this!"

"Please? You know Sarah would get pissed if she stayed here!"

"No. Absolutely not." And that was that. Spencer walked out followed closely by Brendon. They walked into the living room to find Ellie hunched over, crying. She hadn't heard them come in. Spencer looked back at Brendon and mouthed, "fine." To which he did a little victory dance.

Spencer cleared his throat, Brendon stopped his dance and Ellie looked up. "She immediately stopped crying and wiped her face. Sorry I was, uh, just...I'll leave now. Thanks for the food. That was, um...really nice of you." There were tears in her eyes but she picked up her guitar and walked out.

Spencer turnedto Brendon, "You're fucking crazy, you know that?" He opened the door and followed after Ellie.

Brendon watched Spencer catch up to her and heard him say, "Come on, my car's this way,” and closed the door behind them.

So this was literally my first ever Panic! fic that I started forever ago. It's not that great but I figured I should probably continue it on you know? Anyway I really hope you liked it. I'm not sure how frequently I'll be updating on this because my main focus right now is schoolbut please stay tuned for more. :)
Sign up to rate and review this story