Categories > Anime/Manga > Gravitation > Candy From Strangers

Progression

by Chaotic_Disillusion 0 reviews

Ryuichi finally figures it out with a little help from his dear friend, how does it all turn out though?

Category: Gravitation - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Ryuichi, Shuichi, Tatsuha, Other - Published: 2006-06-23 - Updated: 2006-06-24 - 1945 words

0Unrated
Title: Candy From Strangers
Chapter 3: Progression
Author: Chaotic_Disillusion
A/N: I really don't like how the end to this turned out... No, seriously, I despise it! But that's okay... 'cause it's better than the alternative. You don't want to read the alternate ending I wrote... my part time beta tried to strangle me for it. Heh ^_^V... yeah, so enjoy. Oh! And don't forget to read the much better dialogue epilogue that I wrote for this fic too! It's the next chapter... enjoy!

~*~

A long time. Okay, not really. It sure seemed that way. Three whole days always felt like a long time to Ryuichi. Especially after a visit with Tatsuha. Eventually, he'd start to feel better. Perhaps. "Visit hangovers," as Kumagoro liked to call them, usually only lasted two days-two and an half, tops. They were generally very mild. But if something begins to stir inside of you and lasts more than four hours-please contact a doctor.

The symptoms sometimes can include all of the following-and don't exclude a single one. Listlessness. Elation. Sharp, sudden mood swings. Faux play. Made up laughter. Twirling around like a little kid in the spring time just to feel your head swim. Just to forget which way is up and which way is down. To feel the wind on your face just so you can ignore the way it heats up when you think of him. So that you have an explanation for the butterflies in your stomach and the minnow in your chest.

An excuse is all you need. Just an excuse.

To avoid feeling like a total jack-ass the entire time you pretend to play. Accept an invitation from a friend. He offers forgetfulness in a bottle. The bottle contains soothing, bitter liquid.

Warning: side effects are only temporary. So enjoy 'em while they last. Because by the time they're gone you'll have a real hangover

Ryuichi sat on the floor-they had decided that the couch was much too formal for a buncha guys like them-Shuichi next to him and Hiroshi next to him.

Shuichi had invited Ryuichi over for a drink with himself and Hiro. Ryuichi had gladly accepted. There was nothing better than-well, sure there was something better, but we'll try to forget him for now.

They hadn't even opened the first round of drinks before Shuichi broached the subject.

"Sakuma-san?" Ryuichi looked up from Kumagoro to smile at Shuichi. "I was kinda wondering if you were all right. You've been pretty distant lately and-"

"Can Shu-kun and Hiro-kun keep a secret?"

Normally, no one would ever know what was keeping his spirits at a very slow, low burn. But he needed to talk. Needed to talk. Shuichi could be trusted with the information.

Hiro looked trustworthy enough.

Point one for Nakano.

Hiro was Shuichi's best friend.

Point two for Nakano.

Hiro always wore a genuinely comforting smile.

Game point for Nakano.

Shuichi and Hiro nodded, looks of authentic concern taking up residence on their faces.

"Kumagoro 'n' me went to visit Tatsuha-kun the other day, because he sent us really pretty flowers and we had to thank him!"

Shuichi glowered, "Did he do something to you, Sakuma-san? I swear, that kid can't contro-"

Vigorously shaking his head, Ryu made to correct his over protective friend. "No, that isn't what happened at all, na no da!" he looked down to Kuma-chan, this was gonna be hard. It had to be worth it. He needed to talk. Needed to talk.

"What happened then, Sakuma-san?" Hiro asked, knowing that his friend's tendency to jump the gun.

"Well, I-I think-no," Ryuichi paused, and then rushed in one short breath, "we think that Ryuichi loves Tatsuha-kun!"

Hiro smiled, Shuichi gaped. "So, what's got you down?" Shuichi wondered aloud. Sure love wasn't always the most pleasant of feelings but it sure didn't bring someone down this much. Only some of the time. Only most of the time. Only if you're in love. Really in love. Sacrifice for beauty.

Tears came to the surface for the first time in-years. "I don't wanna ruin him. He's so innocent. So pure. So-"

He was cut short. By laughter. From Shuichi first. Followed closely by chuckling from Hiro. Well, that's not very nice.

"T-Tatsuha? Pure? I-innocent?!" Shuichi couldn't hold the guffaws of laughter back. At all.

Ryuichi understood. They didn't see the way his eyes shone. He'd just have to explain it to them.

"You guys don't understand," the laughter quieted. They really did mean well. Truly. "Every time I see him, his eyes shine and glimmer. Sometimes, when something gets to him, the shine will go away momentarily. Like when Tohma sent someone to pick me up-it disappeared from his eyes when the mean old man insinuated that I didn't wanna be with him. He glared at him. Hard. As soon as that man left, he looked at me and the shiny was there again!" Ryuichi smiled at the memory. Looking to the floor, really, at nothing in particular. Just reminiscing.

"That's not innocence," Hiro said suddenly, a smile in his voice. A pleasant way to break from a memory.

Curious. "What is it, na no da?"

Hiro's smile broadened, "That's love."

Ryuichi watched Hiro's face, to see if he'd been fibbing, "How do you know?"

Shuichi grinned, he'd caught on. A little late, mind you. But he'd caught on.

"I know because that's what Yuki does for Shuichi, and that's what Shuichi does for Yuki." Hiro laughed, "It's a little disgusting to be around at first, but you get used to it." He leaned back against the couch and chuckled again, "Ah, but you don't have to get used to that part of the relationship, since you're in it. You just have to get used to the feeling of knowing that that sparkle is there for you and you alone."

"Hiro! Don't make it sound so intimidating! You're scaring me!" Shuichi rubbed his arms to get rid of the imaginary goose-bumps.

"You guys are serious?" Ryuichi asked cautiously. He'd believe them. All they had to do was say...

"I'm completely serious, Sakuma-san," Hiro knew the look that continued to flit across the older man's face. It was the same one that had occupied Shuichi's the day Hiro had told him that he was absolutely sure Yuki loved him. And that there was evidence.

Confusion. Hope. Anger. Euphoria. Hope.

The day that Yuki actually told the little singer himself was the day all of those emotions balled up into one and became an all together different feeling.

For Shuichi, it had been nothing short of. Nirvana.

Hiro knew that Tatsuha would come clean soon enough. He didn't have Yuki's reasons to stay silent on the subject. Hell, they all thought Ryuichi knew that Tatsuha idolized him. That he would give-anything. Anything for Ryuichi. His right arm. His left lung. His-life.

Ryu sat there, unopened beer in hand. It would remain so. The front door was flung opened instead and a tall figure stepped in, jovially greeting all. Even those not present.

"Aniki! Guess who!"

Shuichi was on the verge of telling Tatsuha that Yuki was not there and that he needed to go away. Then he saw Ryuichi.

Then Tatsuha saw Ryuichi.

He saw him directly above him. Ryu had wasted no time in lunging for his friend and knocking him to the ground. He smiled down at the teen, "Nya!!! Kumagoro and I missed you, Tatsuha-kun!" There, there they were, those glimmering, shimmering eyes. Immediately, he attached himself to Tatsuha's chest, squeezing as though he never wanted to let go. Thing is. He didn't.

"Hey, Ryu-kun. I missed you too!" nervous laughter. "I didn't actually think you'd miss me though."

Idea. Brilliance. Yes, his eyes were brilliant, weren't they? Well, time to find out.

Serious. Nervous. Deadpan. Jittery. Outside, cool as ice. Inside, shaking like a dead leaf. Ryuichi stood up and took Tatsuha's hand in his own and took him to the front room where the other two sat. Waiting. Patiently. Impatiently.

Taking Tatsuha's face into his hands, Ryuichi made him turn to look him in the eyes. There was curiosity. A lot of confusion. But most of all-he saw exactly what he wanted to see. What he always wanted to see.

Taking Tatsuha's face, he turned him towards Hiro and Shuichi. Turned him enough so that Tatsuha couldn't see Ryu but Ryu could see Tatsuha's eyes. Gone. All that was left: disinterest, curiosity, confusion, interest.

The man let go of the boy's face. Tatsuha turned to look at him and was promptly pushed to the couch. Plop. Tatsuha sat. Looking up at Ryuichi questioningly.

Ryu knew what he wanted to do. What he thought he should do. What everyone else knew he had to do. What was the risk? Too much. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

Risk everything.

"Uesugi Tatsuha." Deep breath. Steady as she goes. "I love you."

Done. Feel better? Dunno. What was the risk? Who knows. Was it worth it?

Always.

~*~

The blink of an eye. That's all it took to change everything. It changed everything. For better or for worse?

That depends, of course. Depends on you. Who you are. What you think. Is life too short to spend it wondering? To spend your days wishing. Merely dreaming. Only hoping.

Wondering. Wishing. Dreaming. Hoping. Wonderful things, all of them. But eventually, you'll have to act.

Take it from me. I've been a spectator all my life. But these little, black, plastic eyes have seen many things. They've understood too much. Misunderstood much more. Awareness comes with a price. So does oblivion. Which is higher?

Depends.

It's okay to wonder. It's okay to wish. It's okay to hope. It's better to dream.

It's best to act.

Oh! Forgive me! I seem to be rambling. What happened?

Well truthfully, it's disgusting. I now understand what that Hiro fellow was talking about. Gentle touches. Long cuddles. Never ending good byes. Looks of absolute adoration. Completion.

No. Not completion. Complementation. They are, as separate people, already complete. They are, as one, what keeps each of those separate people themselves. Each feeding the other doses of joy. Of peace. Of contentment.

Of love. But that comes in slightly larger doses. As it should. As it should.

~*~

A/N: So, yeah, that sucked. But there was very little my brain could come up with that I liked. Forgive me, please! Please just review... anything! Beggars can't be choosers ya know! I'm not picky! I take anything! Heck... flames keep me happy even. Sad, I know. But anywho, as per usual: Uber much love to all my reviewers, and love still to those who only read!

Thank you's for reviews:

Antics: I'm glad that the second chapter made up for the first... I'm gonna apologize for this one in advance ^_~... but yeah, usually I do things with a little more comedy in them, so the second chapter came a little more naturally. I'm trying! Thank you sooo much for the review!! I hope that you like this chapter and/or the next! Continue to read!!! ... Y'know, as soon as I actually get around to posting it... Heh.

Deity: Hee-hee, yeah. I just couldn't leave it at one chapter... one-shots aren't my forte. I'm glad you're enjoying the fic, and it seems you're keeping pretty updated on it! I hope you enjoyed this chapter... Weee!! Trust me, the next is pure fluff. So, stay tuned!

Anti-nostalgic kuma: Nice screen name!! WEEE!! Great song too! Anywho, yeah, they kissed. Sorry this chapter didn't come as quickly as the second! But the next should be up soon enough! Nya!!

Thanks again all of you!!!
Sign up to rate and review this story