Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Guardian Ghost

The Light

by DisenchatedDestroya 11 reviews

"He really couldn’t be any more perfect for my brother, could he?" Read, review, rate and feel my love! :P

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-02-05 - Updated: 2012-02-05 - 2946 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Twelve – The Light


Gerard’s POV





There’s kids being kids, mindless and thoughtless and harsh spectators of suffering who just want to make it through themselves, but then there’s inexcusable cruelty; kicking someone when they’re down, spitting in their face, yelling things at them that you know will have the same effect as plunging a knife straight into their heart. And then, there’s this; a grieving orphan having his worst fear exposed to him, panic attacking like something from his nightmare is devouring his oxygen and yet nobody is stopping to realise that the poor kid is probably about to pass out.

That’s beyond cruelty, that’s lower than hell and it is, for lack of a more sincere word, disgusting.

I get that they don’t like my baby brother, if I’m perfectly honest I don’t want kids like them trying to be friends with my baby boy anyway, but that doesn’t mean that just because they know that Mikes is deathly afraid of fire that they can exploit it like he’s just some circus animal dancing for their own entertainment. But how could anyone view this, a bawling kid collapsed against the wall of some derelict little shed and fighting through his panic just to stay conscious through his bruises, as entertainment? They can’t. They just simply can’t.

They’re only kids themselves, for fuck’s sake! And that’s exactly why I sort of pity them, they’re too young and stupid to realise that what they’re doing is going to destroy someone else’s life.

The ‘someone else’ being my precious baby brother, someone too sweetly shy and honestly fragile to fight them off like I would be doing for him if my fists weren’t nothing more than a whisper on the breeze. I’ve felt helpless before, it’s a feeling that I’ve become all too familiar with since the fire, but this is something else entirely; it’s like just sitting back and watching the world end without even being able to comfort those you care about. It feels like my heart has been torn out of my chest and thrown to a pack of rabid hyenas, like I’m just getting torn apart like Mikey’s momentary happiness from being around Frank was by the malevolent flame that was gracing the side of his pale face whilst his eyes flared with wild panic.

If it was just them messing around unknowing of Mikey’s cruelly serious fear then I might just be able to feel some shade of sympathy for the kid who is currently being pinned to the grass by Frank, who is being everything but sympathetic with the way his fists are hammering down on the motherfucker’s face. But they do know full well how much Mikey is scared of fire, how much it makes him freak out because one of them saw the cute couple last night; how the smoke alarm went off and how Frank had to calm Mikes down in such a way that has since made me view Frankie as one of the family, as another brother because I honestly wouldn’t mind him being my brother-in-law.

I can remember when I first thought about Mikes having his first brush with love’s tenderly fickle arms; I used to stay up at night worrying about it, scoping out everyone who ever gave him so much as a second glance so that I could protect my brother from having as many bad experiences with love as I have done. I used to dread it like the plague, the day that I’d have to meet Mikey’s first love, dread it because a first love always means a first heartbreak, the kind that someone as already introverted as my baby brother will never be able to cope with. With Frank, however, I don’t feel that fear at all. Why? Because for him to be beating up one of the people that I think he is actually terrified of getting disapproval from just because he hurt my beautiful baby brother is something that means even if they don’t work out together, then I know that he’ll at least keep things amicable, always be around to be Mikey’s friend if nothing more.

I don’t understand these people. Not one tiny, miniscule bit. On one side of them the group of sheep-like bullies have a wheezing, thrashing kid obviously in need of some sort of medical attention and on the other side they have their leader having his ass handed to him by one of their own, yet none of them are doing anything to help either situation; just looking on in semi-entertained confusion.

Actually, looking at how Frank is going for the leader, Liam I think his name is, I can see why trying to pry Frank off of him might not be the most appealing idea in the world; it’s like Frank is an unstoppable robot, one fist going down after the other in an almost mechanical way, showing Liam that nobody can hurt Mikes and get away with it. My heart swells in pride for him, for a kid who was dependent on popularity only a day or so ago, he’s managed to see the light pretty fucking quickly. I guess love can do that to a guy, though.

No. It’s Mikey.

Mikey can do that to anyone, what with his perfect innocence, his adorable vulnerability and everything else about him that screams the need for protection. Protection that I used to give him to the best of my fierce ability, protection that Frank can now give him because he clearly comprehends just how precious my baby brother is, just how amazing the kid can be when around the right people; when he actually feels safe, like nobody will hurt him or laugh at him or abandon him. And I know that Frank won’t ever do that sort of thing, the way he squeezed Mikey’s hand under the coffee table this morning as though he wanted to squeeze all of Mikey’s anxieties out of his fragile fingers told me that much. The way he just seems to be completely smitten with my little brother, like whenever he looks at him he’s looking at a stunning winter moonrise. And it’s the same with Mikes; whenever he didn’t think that Frank was looking at him this morning before school, which admittedly wasn’t many times, he would just gaze at the boy, eyes shining with adulation and disbelief at the fact that someone like Frank, or anyone at all for that matter, actually cares about him. Actually loves him.

And that breaks my unbeating heart, just that I can see how alone he feels yet I can do nothing about it, it’s the worst feeling to ever coarse through my empty veins.

He’s not alone anymore though because now he has Frankie. Apart from right now, as Frankie’s doing what I gladly would be if I could, Mikey needs his comfort more than ever and Frank’s too caught up in revenge to realise. Not that I can blame him, but he just needs to get his priorities right; any sense of justice or success must always rank underneath my little brother’s wellbeing. Always.

“Frank! Frank, leave him alone!” I bark, having to use serious amounts of self-control to make myself tell him to not hurt the motherfucker who nearly knocked out my baby brother only yesterday.

I look back to my baby brother, who is panting and gripping his chest as though his heart is running away from him, and then to Frankie once more; I can see why he’s so caught up in making Liam pay, but right now my main target is keeping Mikes safe even if the idea of permanently messing up that bully’s face up is extremely attractive to me right now.

“Frankie, you need to calm down and help Mikes; do what you did yesterday. He needs you, Frank, he really does.” My voice is breaking into desperate bursts of tears, I just want to be able to make Mikes happy and safe and smiling, everything that I know Frank can do for me now that I can’t; but that doesn’t stop it from stinging like an infected wound. “Frank Iero! Help your motherfucking boyfriend!”

Shit.

Should I have said that? They’re not even going out, not officially anyway, and with a kid like Frank Iero saying something like that, something that is tied to responsibility and immovability, it could easily go the wrong way and cost my baby brother his last hope. My last hope too.

To both my unbridled relief and surprise, the kind that you feel when you get that Christmas present you wanted all year even though you forgot to put it on your list, I see Frankie look over his shoulder to see our most precious person curled in around his knees, head in his trembling hands and raspy sobs haring out of his lips like hounds through the burning gates of hell.

And that’s all it takes to make Frank catapult himself from Liam’s shaking body to Mikey’s distressingly distressed form.

He really couldn’t be any more perfect for my brother, could he?

Frank kneels to the left of Mikey, his movements in slow motion so as to not scare the boy who has had to grow up way too fast over the past weeks, gently placing a hand under Mikey’s chin, fingers curling to cup it as though it’s some sort of irreplaceable treasure. At the soft touch Mikey’s tear-swamped eyes snap open, at first in absolute fear, but then in heartfelt relief which in turn surprises a soft smile from my lips; Mikes really does trust Frankie, the kid who didn’t show any form of rejection or repulsion when I called him my brother’s boyfriend. Perhaps he is. I hope he is. For everyone’s sake, including my own.

Upon seeing Frankie open his arms up to him, Mikes anxiously crawls to be closer to the protection of his one beacon of hope in the endless night that the blinding flames threw him into.

Frank’s response? He pulls my baby brother so far into his chest that I half want to break them up just to check that Mikes can still breathe through the unbridled and unparalleled love that Frank is smothering him with. But that’s not what I like the most about this soul-soothingly heart-melting scene; what I like the most is the fact that Mikey’s hugging back, that Mikes isn’t just receiving comfort but is welcoming it, is letting himself believe that Frank really does care and that he can find safety in that like I’m willing him to. Frank presses his hands down onto Mikey’s back ever so gently, in such a way that makes me think I might just cry from the sheer cuteness of my baby brother being in the arms of someone who finally understands how to look after him, perhaps even better than I ever could.

“Shush, it’s okay, Mikes. I gotcha, those bastards can’t hurt you anymore.” He spits out the last part, making the group who are seemingly entranced by the whole turn of events, by how one of their leaders has abandoned them for a wonder called ‘love’, flinch as though Frank’s slapped them like I ache to with all of my being. “And if any of them do, then they know that I will not be as sparing as I was with Liam.”

He looks up from the shaking heap of Mikey to shoot the stunned group such a sincerely violent glare that I feel a shiver run down my spine; not least because Liam’s only just managed to pick himself up off the floor, blood dribbling from his nose like pretty little rubies, beautiful and oh-so-lovely to behold; like a visual gift for my retinas.

“So it’s true then, you kissed Mikey fucking Way?” Liam snorts, his laughter earning him the kind of look from Frank that makes it obvious that if he didn’t have Mikey in his strong arms, then Liam would already be back on the ground and probably out cold by now.

But then Frank’s spiteful stare gets broken into a mischievous smirk, one that would make me feel horribly uneasy if it wasn’t for the fact that I trust him implicitly; how can I not after seeing how good he is with Mikes now that he can see how truly special my baby brother is?

He tilts my brother’s head up again, the two of them sharing a soft gaze, Mikey’s eyes conveying complete trust and gratitude whilst Frank’s seem to hold some sort of warning mixed with a kind of guarantee that he’ll always care about Mikes no matter what, then he does something that makes me want to perform some sort of dance, or at least be able to tell my little brother how proud I am of him; Frank kisses Mikey.

Right there, in plain view of the people who could easily beat the shit out of the two of them at seeing something as unexpected as this, at the lack of fear the Mikes has installed into Frankie when it comes to being himself. Not that Frank would let them beat the shit out of his lip-locked partner, the way that his protective hands are squeezing around Mikey’s shoulder blades makes that much perfectly clear.

Then Liam does something that stuns me, maybe even earns him a small piece of my hard-to-earn respect; he turns and walks away, his crowd slowly following like lost sheep on a misty mountain, one of the boys even looking back at the two with something akin to broken longing in his eyes.

“I love you, Mikes. Let me help you, let me be here for you.” Frank pauses in thought, pressing his lips softly to the red area on my brother’s jaw where the flame had been held, in a tender peck of pure protective adoration. “Let me be your boyfriend.”

And then Mikes does something that he would never would have had the courage to do before Frank Iero showed him how worthy he truly is of love; of happiness; of everything that a nice person like my brother deserves. Mikey Way, shy and quiet and untrusting Mikey Way, pulls Frank’s face forwards in the first kiss that my brother has ever initiated himself, their lips mashing together like their hands are with one another’s hair.

Just like that I know that everything will be okay, maybe not right away but now that Mikes has got Frankie and Frankie’s got Mikes I know that they will fix one another; that Mikey will reveal more of Frank’s true character to the world and that Frank, in return, will continue to rebuild my baby brother, will continue to rescue Mikey from the depression and stress that I never could save him from no matter how much I might like to believe that I could have.

All of a sudden a blinding light engulfs me, making me feel like nothing more than a feather in a hurricane, and some sort of preinstalled knowledge lets me know exactly what’s going on; I have no reason to still be wondering where my body no longer can and so I’m being dragged to the afterlife. To heaven. To paradise. #

To wherever it is that this bright white light means.

“Gee would’ve liked you, Frank.” I hear my baby brother’s soft little voice mewl through the haze of light, making my heart ache in a combination of sorrow, longing and, above all else, pride; it’s the first time that he’s openly spoken about me without melting down completely.

And I couldn’t be prouder.

“You think?”

Good old Frank.

“Yeah, because I love you. You’ve saved me in every possible way.”

“Same here, Mikey Mouse.”



The End






A/N: Okay, I’m going to start this off with a huge apology for several different things; the length of all recent chapters, how long it took me to update and, above all, the crappiness of this ending. I know that I messed up with this fic, that I’ve butchered the ending and left a load of stuff unanswered but I just completely lost love for this story and so I thought it better to finish it to the best of my ability than to leave it as my first unfinished story. I really am sincerely sorry for what a let-down this ending has been. To make up for it I really want to do a halfway decent one-shot, but I can’t decide on a pairing so if anyone has any preferences please let me know which would be best out of Rikey (Ray and Mikey), Pikey (Pete Wentz and Mikey), Frikey, Bikey (Bob Bryar and Mikey), brotherly (not Waycest) Mikey and Gerard, or Frerard.

On a better note, thank you very much for reading and to anyone who’s read/reviewed/rated so far I offer you my extreme gratitude for putting up with this fic! Thanks for reading and please review! :)
Sign up to rate and review this story