Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Secrets

3-Dreamy Secrets

by cherrymelle 0 reviews

When the newly appointed First Lieutenant finally exited Mustang's office some time later, she was expecting heavy burns or some singed hair at the least, but certainly not the dumbfounded expressi...

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Characters: Riza Hawkeye - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-06-25 - Updated: 2006-06-25 - 2111 words

0Unrated
I am a little behind on my work it seems, but I am not really sorry as I needed some days off to get married :) hope you'll fo TITLE: Secrets Arc 3 - Dreamy Secrets
AUTHOR: Cherrymelle
FANDOM: Fullmetal Alchemist
PAIRING: Roy/Ed, Hawkeye/Havoc, Hawkeye+Roy
GENRE: Angst, drama
RATING: R
WARNING: yaoi, spoilers, angst, deathfic, language
DISCLAIMER: Nor Fullmetal nor its characters are mine, no money is being made here so don't sue or whatever.
SUMMARY: When the newly appointed First Lieutenant finally exited Mustang's office some time later, she was expecting heavy burns or some singed hair at the least, but certainly not the dumbfounded expression he wore.
"The General gave me his 'black book'!"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

General Mustang was in a foul mood. In the beginning, it had been really fun. Riza had enjoyed watching her colleagues cowering in fear each time the man looked like he was going to snap. Pity that she wasn't the kind of gal to show her mirth. However, after an entire month in these conditions, and all available workers in hiding, paperwork had begun to pile up and Riza wasn't amused anymore. The frightening part was that, unlike everyone, Mustang wasn't dodging work. He had dutifully completed each assignment she gave him without the slightest protest. That was unprecedented and had her pretty shell-shocked. Sadly, even with his all too new zeal, there was so much the General could do by himself. Riza knew for some time that she would have to pacify her superior if she wanted her team and its productivity back. She would miss this hardworking Roy, but he was beginning to grate on even her solid nerves.

She would have wondered what had caused such a bad mood if she didn't know the man so well. There had only be another time some years ago when he had appeared so furious. She remembered it very well and was glad that, at the time, they had been out of Central. Then, he had been ordered to arrest Fullmetal and the boy hadn't come to him for assistance. As it seemed like the oldest Elric was the only person with such an impact on the General, it was easy to guess that it also had something to do with him this time around. She had guessed that they had been in an argument and that Mustang needed to vent. Nothing much to worry about.

At least, that was what she had been thinking before Fullmetal resignation landed on her desk, coming all the way from Rizenbool. Now, she was worried, really worried, near frantic even. Throughout the years, Edward had often threatened with his resignation when things didn't go his way, but not anymore, not for a very long time. And with the kind of relationship Mustang and Elric were sharing, a resignation could only mean one thing. The General had been dumped. He was probably devastated and his show of temper was only a clever way to put on a brave face. Riza was looking for a way to show the proud man her support without offending him...

"...SAY WHAT?!!"

That outburst had come from the General's office and Riza idly wondered if it had been such a good idea to send Havoc fish for informations in the lion's den. She was expecting the fireworks anytime now... Poor Jean, she had told him to try and be subtle with his inquiry. So much for that plan. When the newly appointed First Lieutenant finally exited Mustang's office some time later, she was expecting heavy burns or some singed hair at the least, but certainly not the dumbfounded expression he wore.

"The General gave me his 'black book'!"

"EXCUSE ME?!!"

Riza wasn't angered easily and was used to keep her cool in every situations, but there was no way that she would take such an announcement from her boyfriend with calm. She felt her carefully constructed blank facade crumble and saw red. Jean had dreamed to put his claws on that... thing forever, but he wasn't single anymore. He was now in a healthy relationship with her and she wouldn't have him in the vicinity of such a temptation. What had Mustang been thinking? She would kill them both...

"Huh?... Ah! No! Not at all Riza! It's not what you think. I didn't accept the book I swear. I don't need this kind of thing when I've already got the best woman ever."

The First Lieutenant was visibly desperate to placate his girlfriend, probably afraid -and justifiably so- to be shot. Hawkeye studied him a while but finally concluded that tremors and sweat were resulting from nerves and not from insincerity. That probably saved his life. Seeing Riza going back to normal, Havoc let out a sigh of relief.

"So what I was saying is that Mustang wanted to give me his "black book", but that was not my point. The strangest part is the reason why. Did you know that the General was getting married?"

"I beg your pardon?!!"

"Yeah that also was my reaction."

"That's not... well, how... Edward isn't..."

"I really don't understand why you people keep bringing Fullmetal up. How could my getting married concern him in anyway? I am sorry Hawkeye for the way you learned of this. I never came around to tell you. The decision was taken fairly recently."

Roy's sudden appearance had made them both start but not so much than his lack of concern for Fullmetal's say in all of that. Had the man lost his mind?

"It certainly is surprising Sir. Can I ask you who the bride may be?"

"Of course Major Hawkeye, it is not a secret. I think you met her before, it's Belinda Ascott, she's the daughter of the Prime Minister."

"Ah... I see. I guess I should congratulate you then."

"Thank you Hawkeye."

Riza and Jean couldn't stop themselves from staring at their General as if he had grown a second head. Understandably ill-at-ease, he mumbled some half-assed excuse and went back to his office, locking after him. Riza stood frozen for some time, till Havoc's voice interrupted her wondering.

"Am I the only one finding all of this really strange?"

"I received Edward's resignation Monday. I was thinking that he had left Mustang."

"The Boss? Leaving the General? That's ridiculous! For all the arguments they have, the kid is convinced that the sun rises and sets on the bastard's ass. I never saw someone so madly in love. He would never leave him!"

"But that would mean that the General had dumped Edward... That would be bad... really bad."

She took a moment to think of how Fullmetal would react to such news and the mere thought paralyzed her. Havoc seemed to be thinking along the same lines as his face drained of all colors, his cigarette hanging, forgotten, on his frowning lips. They needed to know what exactly had happened and Riza prayed that their fears were unfounded.

"Jean, could you go see Breda, Farman, Fury, Armstrong and every other person you could think of to know if they heard of anything ?"

"Yes Madam!"

Havoc saluted smartly and exited the office, visibly relieved to have something to do. For once in her life Riza wasn't feeling like working. She was far too worried to concentrate on anything as trivial as paperwork.

She had known Roy Mustang for what felt like forever and she had been in love with him for almost as long. When she had met him, she had been a shy and naive cadet and she had been attracted to the man like a moth to a flame. Quite foolish if you asked her now. Like the alchemist's title he wore had predicted, she burned herself on him. He had always been an inconsiderate jerk towards her. So utterly oblivious to her desperate devotion that it wasn't even funny. Always flaunting his dates to her face, always letting her make the arrangements for said dates, and having her send flowers to the lucky lady of the day... The lucky lady who was never herself. She had always taken all that came her way, never protesting his evident dismissal, never even saying anything.

She didn't really remember when she became so bitter that she stopped hoping he would ever notice her. But that time came, of course. Even then, she never let him down. She sucked on her disappointment and desperation, and stayed by his side, always the faithful sidekick. Looking back, she was somewhat ashamed of herself. Indeed such dedication should force respect, but nobody should be so self effacing as to let themselves be treated as a doormat. She had been content with every scraps of his attention. His respect, his trust, his friendship, anything had been enough. Almost.

There had been a time, some years ago, when a new hope had arisen. Roy had suddenly looked more mature, more settled, and generally appeared to glow. She had guessed, with reason, that he was in love and foolishly hoped that he had finally noticed her. That had been a major let-down when she learned the truth. But once past the initial anger, all had begun to make sense. What better choice for such an exceptional individual as Roy than one as exceptional as he was. The age or gender of this very unique person was not even a question. Edward Elric was so luminous, so fiery that it was only logical that he and the Flame Alchemist were paired off.

It probably would have been easier if Riza could have scorned or despised her rival. But she couldn't. No-one in their right mind could hate Edward. Sure the kid could be aggravating at times, but he had a truly beautiful soul. You couldn't meet the infamous Fullmetal without being awed by his vibrancy, without coming to respect his spirit. He was so lovable that he had grown on her without her even realizing it. Somehow, it had soften the blow that, out of anyone, it had been him. Riza knew she couldn't compete, so she had given up. It still made her sad at times but she never had regretted it. She had had a long time to observe how good they were for each other and how happy they were. It was enough.

It took some time, but she slowly began to forget and to notice the other men whom had pined over her, while she was so caught in Roy. One day, Havoc had invited her for dinner and she had accepted, not knowing whom of the both of them had been more surprised. Her late mother would have said that she could do better. Maybe she could, but if "better" was someone akin to Roy Mustang, she was glad of her choice. Jean might be less handsome than Roy or have a lower rank, but her criteria had radically changed along the years. She had come to value his easy-going personality, his rakish charm and above all his reliability. Every time she had been down, lost in her hopeless love for Mustang, he had been there to pick her up and make her smile. That was all what was needed. Foolish girls dream of dangerously sexy officers but when they grow up, they marry the boy next door and are happy.

However, finding happiness hadn't made Riza stupid. She was still in possession of all her mental capacities, thank you very much. That was precisely why she couldn't understand how her commanding officer could be getting married with some woman coming from out of nowhere. Roy and Edward were the perfect couple. They had been meant to be from day one and, even if Riza wasn't exactly a romantic, she had looked forward to watch them grow old together. So, how the hell could have they broken up? They never had advertised their relationship, apparently jealous of their intimacy. Their love was still brilliant enough for everyone around to be blinded. All of their closest friends had always been amused by their gentle bickering, warmed by their tender glances and simply made content to witness such a true love.

Knowing all that, the recent events didn't make much sense and Riza was beginning to think that something was really wrong. If she hadn't known for sure that the shape-shifting homunculus had died some years ago, she would have been tempted to believe he was impersonating Mustang. Because if Roy really was the one guilty of dumping Edward and proposing to another woman, Riza would have to make true of her past threats and shoot him... And pigs would be flying soon.
Sign up to rate and review this story