Categories > Books > Harry Potter > American at Hogwarts

Meeting Remus

by hufflepuffgirl 0 reviews

Alex and Remus enjoy a day down at Hogsmeade

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Lupin - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2012-02-19 - Updated: 2012-02-20 - 1991 words

0Unrated
One day after spending a few hours flying, Alex walked into McGonagall’s office for lunch. Alex hadn’t really bothered to put herself together and was wearing some jean shorts and a purple shirt that she had tied up so that it didn’t cover her stomach. It’s not that Alex did it on purpose to attract attention; she just was more comfortable in lighter clothing. Plus her waist-length blonde hair was a complete mess and was flying up all around her. When Alex walked in she found Minnie (McGonagall was surprisingly cool with Alex calling her this) talking to a guy who was about her age and had sandy brown hair. When he turned around, Alex saw the scars that covered his face and knew instantly who it was.
“Remus Lupin?” Alex guessed, causing McGonagall to smile and nod and the boy to look slightly confused.
“I’m Alex Louvelle, nice to meet you.” Alex said, holding out her hand, which the boy shook.
Alex then turned to McGonagall and frowned.
“Could you have least given me a heads up that there would be other people here?” Alex then turned to Remus, “Sorry that I’m a bit of a mess right now. I was just out flying.”
“No problem.”
“Okay well I guess you two can get going now.” Minnie smiled, making Alex’s brow crumple in confusion.
“Get going? What do you mean?”
“Dumbledore asked me to show you around Hogsmeade. Lily will take you out to buy your school supplies sometime next week.” Remus explained, standing up and opening the door.
“Oh! Okay, see you later Minnie!” Alex beamed as she walked through the door.
“Have a good time Alex dear!” Minnie called after her, making the blonde laugh.
As they left Alex took the ponytail holder out of her shirt which turned out to be a little dress and she slipped the tie around her wrist before attempting to smooth out her hair.
“McGonagall lets you call her that?” Remus asked.
“Yep! We have tea every other day, so I just call by her first name. She acts kind of like a mother towards me.”
“So I take you know who I am?”
“Mhmm. You’re Remus John Lupin, nickname Moony, member of the Marauders and a werewolf.” Alex listed, making Remus’s face fall.
“I’m sorry you got stuck with me as a tour guide then.”
“I’m not. You’re not a monster, even though you’re convinced you are.” Alex told him honestly, smiling at him blithely.
“You don’t care?”
“Of course not! What matters is who you are, not what you are!”
Remus smiled at Alex as they walked down the castle steps into the bright sun. Alex was humming quietly to herself and Remus couldn’t help but stare at her out of curiosity. Little did he know that she was doing exactly the same thing, only she was doing so out of the corner of her eye.
He’s pretty tall, and he’ll probably end up taller than me, glad to know I won’t stand out like a freak because of my height. Wow! His eyes are really green! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with eyes that green, except in movies of course. He seems nice, too. Like he’s one of those guys who always takes care of other people. I think I may end up being very good friends with this boy.
“So what house are you in?” Remus questioned a few seconds after the conversation had stilled.
“Oh, I’m in Gryffindor. I’m really happy about that. I was afraid I would end up in Slytherin.”
“I’m in Gryffindor too.”
Alex smiled although she already knew that. “Cool. So where are we going?”
“I thought we would go to the Three Broomsticks for lunch first and then I’d show you around after that.” Remus told her, putting his hands in his pockets as they walked through the gates to leave the grounds.
“Sounds good to me, I’m starving.”
“So what’s it like in America?” Remus asked.
“Well, it’s not as charming as it is here. Everyone is a lot meaner. People are rude, loud, obnoxious, and annoying. The majority of us live up to that whole Americans abroad stereotype no matter where we are. Some things are really nice in America, don’t get me wrong, but there are a lot of bad things too.”
“What do you mean by charming?”
“Well, the buildings are so beautiful here; they look like they came out of postcards. Plus everyone is so polite and it’s so much more magical.”
“Sounds like you prefer it here.” Remus stated in surprise.
“I do prefer it here. I don’t have such a great life in America.” Alex sighed.
“What do you mean?” Remus inquired.
“I’ll tell you about it some other time.” She replied, even though she hoped she would never have to explain.
Remus nodded, not wanting to pry and held open the door of the Three Broomsticks for Alex.
[/Hmm… a gentleman, that’s new./] Alex thought as she walked past.
“Thanks.”
They sat down at a table near the window and waitress came over to take their order.
“I’ll have a Butterbeer and a Sheppard’s Pie.” Alex decided.
“Butterbeer and a steak, rare.”
The waitress left and Alex started up the conversation again.
“So have you finished all your work for school?”
“Yeah. Do you know who the defence teacher for this year is?”
“Oh, Jane. She’s really nice, but she has high expectations of everyone. Make sure you have the first chapter of your textbook read and outlined for the first day of class. She’ll expect that at the least.” Alex remembered.
“Jane?”
“Yeah, Jane Ackerman. She’s an auror on leave to recover from an injury.”
“Okay, thanks. Anything else?” Remus asked.
“Make sure you have cheering charms down perfectly by the first charms lesson, Flitwick will be giving extra homework to anyone who can’t perform it on the first day.”
“How do you know all this?”
“Oh, I’m living at Hogwarts right now. I’ve been eating meals with the teachers. They’ve been giving me tips.”
“You’re living at Hogwarts? That must be pretty lonely.” Remus muttered as their food was placed in front of them.
“Yeah, but it’s peaceful. I really don’t mind too much.”
“Well that’s good.”
Alex nodded and took a bite of her Sheppard’s Pie.
“So what are your friends like?” Alex asked after she had swallowed.
Although she knew a lot about the Marauders, she wanted to hear what Remus had to say about them. After all, the Harry Potter books could be wrong, although so far they seemed to be pretty accurate.
“Well, James is a little full of himself, but he’s really quite kind. He’s very protective of people he cares about too. Sirius is very arrogant, but he’s got a good heart. Peter tends to just kind of be there. He’s not very brave, but he is loyal.”
“They sound like good people.” Alex smiled, and Remus nodded.
“They are. They’re the best friends a person could have.”
Alex smiled at Remus and they ate their food in companionable silence. When they had finished, they split the bill and headed back outside.
“Where to next?”
“How about Honeydukes? It’s my favourite place here.”
“Okay.” Alex and Remus walked down the street to Honeydukes. Remus opened the door and held it open for Alex, who smiled and thanked him as she walked in. She looked around at all the candies and smiled at how magical it was.
“Chocolate frogs are really good, so are the Honeydukes Chocolate Bars.” Remus told Alex, pointing at the large display of chocolates.
“I love chocolate!”
“Drooble’s gum, Fizzing Whizbees, and Honeydukes lollipops are good, too.” Remus told her, pointing out some of the other candy displays.
“Cool.”
The pair bought a good supply of candies and left with their bags, heading down the street to Zonkos. Inside they found all sorts of things, from dungbombs to exploding quills and Alex laughed at all the pranks.
“I’ve never been in a joke shop!”
“Really? My friends practically live in this shop!” Remus laughed.
They bought a few pranking materials and then headed back up to the castle. As they walked, Remus asked Alex about her friends.
“They’re a little, crazy. They’re wild, loud, and outgoing. I’m the baby of the group to an extent. I’m the youngest, and they feel the need to constantly remind of that. They’re all at least a year older than me. But I’m also the tallest of the group and they usually look to me when they don’t know what to do. I’m the baby sister and the mother hen at the same time. Plus I’m the klutz of the group, so I get picked on a lot.” Alex explained.
“How klutzy can you be?” Remus pondered.
At that moment Alex tripped and went flying forward into a somersault, landing on her backside a few feet in front of Remus. He laughed and walked up behind her, grabbing her under her arms and pulling her up. Alex blushed furiously as she brushed herself off and Remus shook his head at her.
“Sorry.”
“For what? You can’t help it if gravity doesn’t like you. Come on, let’s get you back up to the castle and treat your cuts.” Remus said in confusion.
Alex looked down and saw a gash on her leg and sighed as she tried to clean it up.
“I’ll help you clean it up when we get up to the castle.”
Alex hung her head and they walked up to the castle in silence. When they got to the castle they headed up towards Gryffindor tower, Alex steering them through a secret passage that Remus didn’t know. As they walked up the stairs Alex fell yet again and stood up before Remus could help her.
Remus sighed and hung his head, thinking she was afraid because of what he was, and realizing this Alex shook her head.
“I’m not afraid of you. I don’t care that you’re a werewolf; I think it’s kind of cool. I love wolves; I’ve met them in forests many times. I’m just used to taking care of myself.” Alex soothed, gently touching his hand.
That’s going to be the one thing I miss about America actually, the wolves; the sweet, gentle, and ferocious creatures that I spent so much time with. It will be strange not doing my homework in the woods while they play around me.
Remus looked at her for a second before nodding and they continued towards Gryffindor Tower. When they reached the portrait Alex turned to Remus.
“Thank you for not freaking out when I fell.” Alex said.
“Why would I? You fell, nothing wrong with that.” Remus said, but Alex shook her head.
“My father always gets angry at me when I fall. That’s why I reacted so strangely.”
They walked into the common room and sat down on the couches. Remus cleaned Alex’s cut and bandaged it.
“Thank you.”
“No problem.” Remus replied.
“Right, well thank you for everything. I guess I’ll see you when school starts.” Alex smiled standing up and walking with Remus over to the portrait hole.
“You might see me before then.” Remus replied, smiling back at Alex.
“Okay, cool! See you later!” Alex called as he walked down the hall.
He waved back and Alex put her packages upstairs before curling up on the couch for a nap.
Sign up to rate and review this story