Categories > Original > Drama

Falling

by deadweight-violate 2 reviews

Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-02-26 - Updated: 2012-03-10 - 495 words - Complete

1Moving
A/N: contains mild language

The breeze pushes the wild, tangled hair out of my eyes as I stand and look out across the vast expanse of ocean. I can’t see where water ends and sky begins but I don’t care. I am happy here. Alone. A tear creeps down my face and I raise my finger, delicately touching the wet trail it has left behind on my cheek. But I am not sad. I take a deep breath, sucking the salty air into my chest and it expands to let me relax and I breathe out again. I am ready. Slowly, slowly, I raise both my arms, holding them right out beside me, and my head tilts back to look at the bright blue sky. I take another breath then I lean forward. I feel my weight go onto my toes, and then I am weightless. I’m flying. I feel like I could scream. I want to let all my feelings out. But there isn’t much time left now. So I begin to shout, “I’M NOT OKAY. I’M NOT OKAY.” But nobody can hear me so they don’t tell me to be quiet so I keep shouting. “I’M NOT O-FUCKING-KAY.” I’m still flying – or am I falling? I’m not quite sure. I’m still holding my arms out beside me. They’re my wings. I’m like a baby bird, except I have no feathers, so I can’t fly. And there was no mother or father bird watching over me when I jumped from the nest and took to the air. But now the air has taken me. I feel suddenly hesitant but the air stops me from flapping my wings and flying away. I can’t move. Now, my body is a shooting star. My legs are spread apart and my fingertips reach out for something unknown. I can’t describe the feeling. It was truly wonderful, phenomenal. I felt short of breath, only the wind was giving me plenty of air. Now I can see the ocean. For some reason, it’s angry with me. It thrashes about and throws jets of white spray at the face of the cliff. I smile as it gets nearer. This is the part I always enjoy: the feeling I get at that moment is truly marvellous. You may think I’m weird because I just said that, but I’m not. If you’ve ever felt so excited that you’re shaking, that’s how I felt just then. My hands began to wave as the water came closer. “Hello ocean,” I try to say, but the wind clamps my mouth shut. Another tear escapes from my eye and is pushed down my cheek and into the corner of my mouth. My tongue licks it up. Ew, salty. The ocean is only a few metres away. Closer. Closer. It’s so close... then, nothing.
Sign up to rate and review this story