Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

Jared's Prediction

by Mazwe 0 reviews

In the aftermath of the brothers' argument, Luke and Dannielle decide to look at Jared's new Theory of Eruption. But is Jared's theory correct? And where will it lead them?

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-03-23 - Updated: 2012-03-23 - 679 words - Complete

0Unrated
Its quiet without Jared. I have a headache now, and I can only imagine he feels the same. This time I don't have any regrets about what I said. I've had a few bitter texts from him, telling me he's going to the volcano he believes will erupt next. But he doesn't say where it is. He's probably hoping I'll look at that map and text him or go and get him or something. I know he can't fly anywhere near Europe anyway, so I'm not worried.

Dannielle can read my mind when it comes to things like this. She knows what I'm thinking, but her attention is drawn to the map Jared had drawn on.

"I want to look, Shannon. I'm going to look."

"What? Dannielle you can't be serious. You don't believe his mumbo-jumbo do you?"

"I know Shan. It may be a stupid theory. Its worth a look though. He spent a lot of time and effort on it."

"He took 3 days! It takes him less than that to write a song!"

But Dannielle doesn't care about that. She wants to know what Jared thinks. She wants to know how he got those answers. She wants to know where he is. After a small glance at Jared's work, she's drawn in further with interest and reads everything.

"This is amazing!"

I almost can't believe my ears when I hear her say that.

"Luke? I... I don't believe it... If this is true he could save thousands more lives!"

"What? Dannielle, that would put us out of a job" I joke as Luke reads it too. But the look on their faces is enough. I get up and look at it "What?"

Jared didn't know how to describe it, but it was his theory that a current was travelling through the planet, bouncing from volcano to volcano. The lines he had drawn were irregular lengths, making a zig-zag pattern. But when we looked closely, the points were all locations of recent seismic activity. And there was more - the lines bouncing from and to volcanoes were all at the same angle - Dannielle had measured them.

"We have to confirm these locations!" Dannielle stated.

Luke looked at his laptop. Dannielle started at the beginning of the zig-zag line, starting in Africa. That was the one we had been to.

"Vesuvius, Italy." Follow the line back down. "Villarricca, Chile." Follow the line back up. "Katla, Iceland." The next line is the longest, spanning all the way between the continents of North and South America, and stopping in Antarctica. "Mount Erebus, Antarctica... wait..."

Mount Erebus was one of those 5 volcanoes in the world with a lava lake. For a moment, I thought that was why Luke had stopped, but there was more. Little over a week after the start of the Katla's eruption, there was an earthquake in the Carribean - between North and South America - that was before the eruption of Mt Erebus in Antarctica. Another team had been sent to Antarctica, and an Earthquake Team to the Carribean.

We follow the final line back up to the final mark. The result is a shock, and even unexpected. It was Lassen Peak, North California.

"There's no confirmed eruption there" Luke states calmly "There's no sign of activity, no tremors."

"But he can't be that wrong, can he Luke? Everything checks out so far."

Lassen Peak... I get a chill down my spine, I don't know why... LASSEN PEAK?! I suddenly interupt Dannielle "WE HAVE TO GO AND GET HIM NOW!"

"Woah Shan! Slow down. Why?" she asks.

"Lassen Peak will not show signs of activity near eruption because IT IS NOT A VOLCANO..."

Hi. So there is supposed to be an image as a 'visual aid' with this chapter, but I just realised I can't post images on here! If anyone has suggestions on this, please let me know. Comments also welcome. My next post to this story will be the last chapters, so I hope you all enjoy this and the little cliff-hanger until next time :)
Sign up to rate and review this story