Categories > Original > Drama > My Pain

Chapter 7

by Vampirechick1159 0 reviews

And Ronnie.

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres:  - Published: 2012-03-26 - Updated: 2012-03-27 - 1082 words

0Unrated
“Here,” Sophie says, handing me a coffee.
I smile weakly at her and take it. She sits next to me in the lobby of the police department.
“So I talked to Ronnie earlier,” she says, clearly trying to lighten the mood.
I blush at the very mention of his name.
“What’d you two do today?”
I smile. “He…he, uh, kissed me.”
She gasps. “OH MY—“
“Ssssh!” I hiss at her when people look up to stare. “It was nothing big.”
“Nothing big!? Of course it’s big! He freaking kissed you!” she giggles. “You two are gonna be adorable together!”
I sigh and lean back against the wall. My head is throbbing where the people in the ambulance bandaged it. The scratches in my side from where he grabbed me sting. I’m tired, hurt and feeling a little sick. But I’m not upset. I’m still calm from hearing that song on the radio. I have an odd feeling that that was the sign I was looking for. I haven’t figured out what to do about that just yet.
“So when were you talking to him?”
“Oh, I called him when we got here. I figured he deserved to know.”
I nod.
As if on cue, he walks in at that second. “I got here as fast as I could.”
I stand and throw myself at him, wrapping my arms tight around his neck, his strong, muscular ones twining around my waist lovingly. “You okay?” he mutters into my hair.
“Surprisingly, yes. I’m fine. I am amazingly, utterly okay.”
His hand travels up to my head. “Every time I see you you’ve got a new bandage.”
I smile. “And every time I see you you’re doing something nice for me.”
He glances at my arms as I begin to let go of him. He notices the new cuts and meets my eyes without saying anything, so as not to worry Sophie. I look away before his look can get to me.

Sophie smiles at me over my head in the mirror. “You look awesome.” A week later, I am living with Sophie—at least for now. Her mom lets me sleep in the room downstairs where Sophie’s grandma stays when she visits. Sophie’s curled my hair and smothered my eyes in makeup.
I sigh. “Sophie, dear, he’s only invited me to dinner.”
“ONLY!?” she laughs.
“And,” I hurry on before she can continue, “it’s not like it really matters what I look like. He’s seen me in a lot worse.”
She rolls her eyes. “Sometime, and sometime soon,—I hope—you’ll understand.”

Ronnie’s jaw drops when he sees me. I roll my eyes. “Whatever.” I push him aside and continue towards the door. I’m just wearing a long-sleeved shirt and jeans, yet he’s staring at me like I’m a movie star or something.
He reacts quickly, grabbing me around the waist and pulling me against him. “I am truly sorry for staring, malady. I must quickly grow accustomed to seeing you so happy.”
I smile, and he kisses me. Not a bad start to the night.

He laughs. We’re sitting under a tree in the park, laughing and talking. He says something, and I don’t really hear it, I just hear us laughing together as I fall back onto the grass next to him.
Suddenly his smile fades. “Did you cut again?”
I sigh. “Does it matter?”
“Of course it does. You can’t keep doing this to yourself.”
I don’t want to talk about this now. “Did I tell you what happened the night I knocked my dad out?”
He shakes his head.
I tell him the story.
He smiles, brushing the hair out of my face. “I told you He loves you. And He always will. He’s calling you, Lacey. Answer Him.”
“How?”
“Pray. Ask Him to come into your heart, to save you from yourself. To wash away your sins and bring you to life.”
“That’s it?”
“For now, yes.” He leans in and kisses my forehead. “Should I take you home now?”
“Not yet,” I say, scooting closer and laying my head on his chest. I gaze up at the stars as one of his hands strokes my hair absentmindedly. My eyes slip closed unexpectedly, and the world is dark.

“Lacey!” Ronnie shakes my shoulder. “Get up! We fell asleep!”
“Huh?” I mutter, sitting up.
“We’ve gotta go, Lacey!” He helps me to my feet and starts his car.
“Can I borrow your phone?” I ask, and he hands me the silver rectangle of modern technology. “Thanks,” I say, taking it and dialing Sophie’s number, which I have memorized.
“Where have you been!?” she squeals after answering. “I called you three times!”
“Sophie, calm down. We were hanging out in the park and fell asleep. That’s all. I’m so sorry.”
“We were about to call the cops, Lacey! Were you drugged or something?”
“No! Just breathe. We’re on our way now. Calm down!”
“Lacey—“
“I said I’m sorry, Sophie. What more can I do?”
“Just come home,” she says.
“I’m on my way. Be there in five minutes.” I hang up before she can yell at me some more. I climb into Ronnie’s car, handing him his phone and closing my eyes. Soon we’re parked in front of Sophie’s house. Ronnie comes around the side of the car and opens my door, and I fall out (I was leaning on the door) of the car. He catches me just before I hit the concrete and helps me to my feet.
“You okay?”
“I’m fine, just tired.”
He hugs me, his arms fitting around me perfectly. “Respect yourself, okay? Don’t cut. Oh, and…” he reaches into his pocket, grabbing a pen, and begins to write on my hand. “Here’s my number. Call me if you need me.” He puts the pen away and meets my eyes. “We can make it through this. Together.” He leans in and kisses me, pulling me close again and holding me there, as if I’m going to run away at any moment. Remembering the last time he kissed me, I guess that idea is understandable.
We break apart. “Bye Ronnie,” I whisper, and he watches as I walk away, leaving him to stare after me almost longingly.
Sign up to rate and review this story