Categories > Original > Romance

Young Detroit- A Jack White Story

by Vagabond 0 reviews

A story about young John Gillis and his summer after graduating, and meeting a beautiful girl, who had red hair with a curl.

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2012-03-28 - Updated: 2012-03-29 - 1201 words

4Ambiance
[A/N: Can't get a Jack White Sub Category it seems!! So sorry for all the confusion of this, but I hope you enjoy! It's set in the past, so don't get thrown off by reading his name as John Gillis. Also Names of siblings are fictional, considering I'm unaware of their names. Also, some of what I write is true info/events/people in his life, but it is still none the less, fiction.]

I rolled over in bed onto my stomach, sliding my arm under the pillow, trying to find some other possible combination for continuing to sleep. There wasn't any school, but my body and mind betrayed me in thinking it needed to be up. All I could do was just groan loudly in frustration, my eyes opening slowly with forced effort, my eyebrows only lowered into a frustrated look to match how I felt and I rolled onto my back. Staring up at the ceiling I just outstretched my arms on either side of me, my shirt twisted some, hiked up half way from rolling over, but I wasn't going to bother fixing it. I just let out a long tired breath and just hoped I might fall back asleep and enjoy my first day of sleeping in.

Of course, I couldn't manage any sleep, to know surprise to me. All I could do is think about things, think about life. I wondered what I was going to do with myself next year. I had just graduated and was totally clueless to what I wanted to do with myself. I remember my mother reminding me about seminary, to which looked really good to me. Everyone thought I would be good at preaching, maybe because I talk too much, I'm not sure. I looked around my room, my guitar sitting on it's crooked stand, old but one of my favorite things. I sighed a bit, noting I wouldn't be able to take that with me to seminary, but decided thinking about it even more would ruin the point of this summer vacation.

I finally sat up in bed, hearing one of my siblings seemed to have stopped by and was talking to my mother in the kitchen. I have six brothers, three sisters, and they are all older than me. We didn't fight all that often despite age difference, but with ten children, you can expect that it would be loud. I loved my bothers and sisters and I miss them now that they aren't here at home but I know that my parents raised good kids to turn into good adults. One of my brothers, Peter, got me into guitar, I never wanted to play guitar at first, all the kids on the block wanted to play guitar. I liked drums from the beginning, and he would play guitar and I would play drums for him. He gave me his guitar when he got a job, and a fiance, but he still loves it at heart.

I have to say, of all my brothers and sisters, I am both the youngest, and the most out awkward. I never felt out of place in my family, they made sure I felt apart of everything. In school I felt out of place. I didn't listen to anything the other kids would listen to. Some would pride themselves on being different, and I did to a degree, but being so different means you don't get alot of people that like the same things, and thus, no friends. I had one friend, Dominic, but his family moved him out of Detroit after his dad got a job in New York. He was the only kid that would sit up in the attic with me and listen to records. now I just sit up there by myself, accidently turning to say something to someone who isn't there.

Getting out of bed I glanced in the mirror on the wall that was still there after my sisters moved out of this room, and I made a face, speaking at myself under my breath.
"Yikes, you look rough."
I shook my hand through my unruly black hair, still glad at my choice to dye it from that light brown color I hate for some reason, and tried to ignore my face as I looked around for any clean clothes. I managed to find a faded yellow T Shirt and a pair of black jeans, and threw my pajamas somewhere as I left my room to go to the bathroom, deciding I wasn't going to eat breakfast, so I could go ahead and brush my teeth. I lazily brushed them, but still subconsciously made sure they were clean, despite my lazy movements. My mother always reminded me how expensive it was for my braces and now that their off, I had better take care of them. I wanted to take care of them though, so she didn't need to worry. I rinsed my mouth out, and cleaned my toothbrush off and walked out into the hall.

"Johnny!" I heard my name being called from the kitchen, my oldest sister Rebecca smiling at me, she was dressed nicely, must have stopped in to say hello on her way to work. She seemed to follow in my mothers footsteps in being a secretary, she liked the job, and she had a good telephone voice. Although, she sometimes didn't know how to shut the over nice tone in her voice off.
"Hey Rebecca." I smiled at her, tiredness still showing profoundly on my face and she started to chuckle a bit.
"What are you doing up so early, Johnny? I thought it was summer vacation." I only gave her a look knowing that she already knew the first few days of summer were like this, getting off the school schedule of early mornings. She only laughed, as well as my mother and she only shook her head, telling us that she had to go to work. She kissed my mother on the cheek, and she rustled my hair, as if it wasn't a wreck already. I too told my mother I was on my way out, going back to my room to fetch a pair of socks. My attempt at putting them on while walking was a misfire, leaning against the dining room table finally as I looked to the front door for my shoes. I knew my mother would find some sort of chore for me to do if I didn't have plans.

"John? Where are you headed dear?" She asked me, looking at the newspaper in her hands.
"I'm just going to go see who from school is up and around the neighborhood" I told her while putting on my shoes, leaning against the arm of the couch.
"Alright, well don't forget Saturday mass tonight." She told me, all the while not looking up from her paper.
"I know, ma." I said with a slight eye roll that I know she couldn't see, and I opened the door, moving my hand to open the screen door in front of it.
"I'll see you later ma." I said to her lastly, walking out of the front door.
Sign up to rate and review this story