Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Under City Lights

8- When It All Goes Wrong

by XxPerfectTomorrowxX

“Who is gonna tell her; you?”

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-04-24 - Updated: 2012-04-24 - 3098 words

?Blocked
(Brendon’s POV)



“Start it now.” Juliet called, stepping away from my car.

I was completely impressed when my car came back to life. “How’d you learn to do that?” I asked, turning it off.

“My dad mostly.” Juliet sighed, “And count your blessings. That was fast. Sometimes it doesn’t catch immediately.”

I nodded, not even comprehending what she was saying. I was just glad that my car was working once again.

Jon cast a glare in my direction and a sinking sensation took over my body. Did she spend the entire night with him?

“Ready to go?” Juliet asked, interrupting my thoughts. “We’re going to have to follow behind you just in case.”

“Actually... would you mind coming in my car?”

“Why?” Jon asked.

“Because I’d feel safer if she were with me.” I snapped.

Jon suddenly laughed, “Oh god... no way. The bad date you were talking about was with Brendon, wasn’t it Juliet?”

She talked about our date with him?

I shoved my hands in to my pockets and looked away, extremely annoyed with the situation. I hated Jon Walker. He was the second most popular boy at our school, right next to me.

He had a very different life from me though. He was friends with everyone while I was friends with very few, and the few I was friends with... Well, it wasn’t really friendship. Sometimes I envied him but mostly I just hated him.

Our friendship died long ago and there was nothing left.

Before it had felt as if I’d gotten rid of him.

Now, it was more like he had gotten rid of me.

It was funny how things like that changed over time.

Juliet put her hand on my chest, to snap me from my trance. “Come on Brendon. Let’s go.” So, she was going with me?

Jon looked annoyed but he quickly hid it. “I’ll follow.”



Once the car started I pulled away from the curb, speeding down the street. “Whoa, slow down.” Juliet said.

I didn’t slow down.

I had no intention of slowing down.

“What were you doing with him?” I nearly shouted, attempting to remain somewhat calm. My hands tightened over the steering wheel.

“Please slow down.”

”What were you doing with him?” I repeated, gritting my teeth together.

“I went to a party with him last night.” Juliet admitted, “I didn’t exactly know where I was and he found me...”

“I never should have let you out of my sight.” The guilt was still there. I doubted it would ever disappear...

“Just slow down.”

“Stop freaking out.” I snapped, speeding up slightly. I had never been pulled over before. I wasn’t too worried about it either way.

“Please Brendon.” Juliet’s tone took a turn and... she sounded scared suddenly. “I don’t like cars.” She admitted. “I hate going fast. It freaks me out.”

I let go of the gas slowly, losing speed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“That’s why I told you.”

“So, what happened with Jon?” It was hard not to speed.

“Nothing.”

“You were with him all night and nothing happened?” I really didn’t believe that. Did she think I was stupid?

“We got some sleep.”

“Together?”

“Yeah.” Juliet sighed, “We slept next to each other anyway, not with each other... not in the way that you’re trying to make it out as. We didn’t have sex.”

“Why didn’t you call me back?”

“I kind of... got caught up in...” Juliet trailed off.

“Got caught up in what? Your non-sex activity?”

“Yes, my non-sex activity.” Juliet snapped back.

“What would that activity be?” It was also a struggle to keep my eyes on the road when she was sitting right next to me.

“We danced.”

“Danced?”

“Yes.”

“What kind of dancing?”

“What’s with all the questions?” Juliet was noticeably losing her patience with me.

I couldn’t help myself though. “What’s with you taking off during our date to go be with some other guy?”

“It wasn’t planned.” Juliet took a deep breath. “You knew it wasn’t planned, so why are you making it sound like I planned it now?”

“I’m not.”

“Yes, you are. You’re trying to twist things.”

“I’m just pointing out that it’s a crappy thing to do.” Why did she have to take everything as a personal attack?

“Well, it’s also crappy to take a girl out on a date and completely alienate her.”

“Alienate?”

“I’m going to buy you a dictionary.”

“Do you need me to pay for it?”

“Funny.” Juliet wrinkled her nose. “You really are an asshole, aren’t you?”

“That’s not a very nice word to use Juliet.”

“You’re not a very nice person.”

“I’ll grow on you.” I informed her.

“Is that right?” She sounded like she doubted that.

“So, how about we try again?” It was worth a try.

“What?”

“I’m asking you on a date.”

“Our date was a disaster. Why would we try again?”

“Why wouldn’t we?”

“To avoid obvious disaster?”

“Last night you told me to just ask you myself if I wanted to take you out on a date.” I would try a different approach. I would show her that I could listen. I still had a chance with her. “See? I’m listening. Tonight will be better.”

“Tonight?”

“Yeah.”

“I’d rather not...”

“Please?”

“Are you going to beg for a date?”

“Is that the kind of thing you like?”

Juliet laughed, “It’s not a particular kink of mine.”

“What kink do you have?” Now this I was very, very interested in hearing.

“Girls.”

“That’s a lie.”

“How do you know?” Juliet was testing me.

“Because you’re in to me.”

“You look kind of girly.” Juliet responded, teasingly. “From most angles.”

“I’m okay with you being the man.”

“Well, that’s good since I already pretty much am in this relationship.”

“Oh, so now we have a relationship?”

“Wrong word choice.” I could imagine the blush upon Juliet’s face. She was so adorably predictable. I would have a lot of fun messing with her.

“You already said it. No take backs.” I stuck my tongue out, knowing her eyes were trained on me.

“Immature.” She mumbled, rolling the window down.

“Are you okay?”

“Why do you ask?” Her tone had changed, just slightly.

“Well, I expected another comeback... You came up short.” I responded.

“I have a headache.”

“I thought that was an excuse girls used when they didn’t want to have sex, not when they didn’t want to have a conversation.”

“It’s a real headache.”

“There’s Advil in the jockey box.” I informed her, “And a water bottle in the back under my jacket.”

“Seems you’re prepared.”

Juliet found the Advil and then unbuckled her seat. She brushed her shoulder against mine as she leaned in to the back, trying to grab my water bottle.

I glanced over, getting a glance of her ass. The car swerved. “Brendon, stop staring and watch the road.” Okay, well I was being fairly obvious... It was a nice ass though.

“Ugh, it’s getting worse.” Juliet complained.

I didn’t say anything but Juliet soon broke the silence, “Pull over.”

“We are almost in town.”

Juliet jerked, her arm hitting my shoulder. The water bottle fell from her hand, splattering over the inside of my car.

“Juliet?” I pulled over, hitting the brakes. “What’s wrong?”

I heard Jon honk on his horn but I didn’t acknowledge him. My attention was focused on Juliet. She was... convulsing.

“Juliet!” I shook her, panicking.

She kept fucking shaking.

I reached for my cell phone, prepared to call an ambulance.

My phone was dead.

Where the hell was Jon?

I patted Juliet’s pockets until I found her cell phone. As my trembling fingers hit the necessary buttons my eyes found the untouched bottle of Advil, sitting in plain view.

If she didn’t take the Advil, then what did she take?

Oh fuck.

”911, what is your emergency?”

“What is going on?” Jon called, coming closer.

I dropped the phone, staring blankly at Juliet.

The unlabeled pill bottle that contained the pills Alex had given me the other night lay at Juliet’s feet.

God, how many did she take?





***



Did she take anything, drink anything? The questions hung in the air. Ryan stood next to me but he wasn’t really here for me. Jon was bubbling over with anger and I was just waiting for him to explode.

Juliet’s dad had been notified but he wasn’t here yet.

She took some pills...

I made it sound as if she’d taken them on her own. I deflected the blame, just as I always would. I just wasn’t the type of person to take the blame. I wasn’t one to own up to my own mistakes.

How many? What was the pill?

I swallowed, remembering the glare Ryan had given me as we were questioned.

Jon had spoke up, of course. She didn’t take anything. Oh, but she did.

She took like four, maybe five. That’s what had been in the bottle... Now the bottle was empty. I don’t remember what it was called.

Ryan leaped to the rescue with details. The details now escaped my memory but they weren’t what was important anyway.

Well boys, it seems to be an overdose...



Jon sighed heavily, “That’s so weird. She doesn’t strike me as the Oding type.”

“She’s not.” Ryan replied.

“Why would she just down five or so pills then?” Jon asked.

“She didn’t mean to.” I think it was time for me to tell the truth. This time things had gone too far. “She thought she was taking Advil.”

“How did she confuse the two?” Jon asked.

Ryan just watched, waiting for the truth to unfold.

“I had two bottles in my glove compartment box.” The truth was hard to admit. This was my first shot. I wasn’t going to just let Juliet take the blame for this. She wasn’t a pill addict. I wasn’t going to make it seem like she was. “One was Advil. She had a headache.”

Ryan cut in, “Headache’s are a side effect from that pill Bren.” It’d been forever since he’d called me that.

“She had taken a pill the night before... because I slipped it in to her drink. It dissolves and is completely clear, so that it can not be seen.”

Jon’s demeanor changed. “Do you mean to tell me that you attempted to drug her for your date?”

“It wasn’t an attempt; I was successful.” Probably not the best defense.

“I bet you’re proud too.” Jon stepped closer. “Guess what asshole?”

“What?”

“Last night I didn’t know Juliet was on drugs. Last night I fucked her instead. That makes me... like a fucking second hand rapist.”

“You... she said...” I trailed off, looking away.

“She said what Brendon?” Jon grabbed hold of my shirt, pulling me towards him. The fabric brushed against my neck, causing me mild discomfort. It was nothing like what I was feeling inside though. Juliet slept with Jon? Oh god... I basically set her up to be raped without her even knowing it so it wasn’t really rape but it wasn’t really consensual... This was so wrong. “What gave you the right to decide for her what she should feel?”

I didn’t say anything, swallowing hard.

“That’s what you did.” Jon shoved me against the wall, gaining a nurses attention. “Drugs make things different.” Well, I knew that... “You took away her will and she didn’t even know it.” The words stung.

“Calm down Jon.” Ryan said, stepping forward.

It was so unlike Ryan to stand up for me.

And I really, really didn’t deserve it.

What I did deserve... was Jon’s fist... coming straight towards my face. I didn’t pull away. I didn’t struggle at all. I just gave in to the pain, knowing that I deserved much worse.





***



(Juliet’s POV)



“How are you feeling?” Jon’s voice was calm, which was fairly soothing given the situation.

“I’m feeling like... a hospital patient.” Ever since my mom got diagnosed with cancer I’d hated the hospital.

Jon laughed but there was no humor behind it. “Well, that’s accurate... seems you haven’t gone crazy.”

“Who said crazy people are inaccurate?”

“Are you really up for a debate?” Jon asked, cocking his head to the side.

“Probably not this particular debate.” I admitted, rubbing my head. “My head is killing me.”

“Well, I’m sorry to add to the headache but...” Jon trailed off, looking uncomfortable. “I told a lie.”

“I’m not exactly a priest but I guess I can listen to your confession. I’m not leaving this bed until the doctor lets me so go on...”

Jon cracked a smile but it didn’t stay for long. “I told Brendon that we slept together.”

“Yeah, well I already told him that... not that it’s any of his business... wait, sex?” I stopped, as his words came together in my head.

Jon sighed, “Yeah, I told Brendon that we had sex.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m a liar.” Jon looked at his feet.

“I’d like another reason, like the real one.”

“He made me mad.”

“So, you decided to use me to make him mad in return?” That wasn’t exactly heart warming.

“Pretty much.” At least Jon wasn’t lying about it. “Look I’m sorry but you don’t know what Brendon did-“

I cut Jon off. “I don’t really care.” I snapped. “You used me. Clearly there’s a part of you that can be just as bad as Brendon.” I didn’t mean that. I really, really didn’t mean that. “I’m sorry Jon.” Now for the immediate apology. “I’m just upset. I hate hospitals and-“

This time it was Jon’s turn to cut me off. “I understand. I think I’m just going to go... before you say something we will both regret.”

“I think I already did.” I looked to him, hoping to see some sign of happiness. I just didn’t want him to be mad.

“Don’t worry about it.” Jon smiled, making eye contact with me. “I put my number in your phone, which Brendon has.” He inwardly cringed at the name. “I’d really like if you called me once you got home.”

“I will.”



Could today get any more dramatic?

I mean, come on... fake sex, Brendon drama, and... I overdosed on Advil? I didn’t even know that was possible.



Enter Brendon.



“How are you feeling?” Brendon asked, scooting the chair up to my bed so that he could sit closer.

“I just answered that question. Hit me with a different one.” I joked.

Brendon attempted to smile. He failed, badly. “Why is everyone so moody?” I asked, sitting up. “I’m the one in the hospital and I’ve got more cheer than both of you combined.”

“Jon and I kind of got in to a fight in the hallway.” Brendon admitted. “Security got called. We got separated.”

“Sounds like great fun.” Upon closer inspection I noticed that his lip had a tiny bit of dried blood on it and his eye was red, the skin around it irritated. “... Did he hit you?”

“It’s not a big deal.”

“Did he?”

“Yeah.” Brendon seemed embarrassed.

“Fuck, I’m sorry.” I bit my lip, feeling sorry for Brendon. “Come here.”

Brendon stood up and leaned close so that I could inspect his face. “Does it hurt?” I asked, lightly touching the skin surrounding his left eye.

Brendon shrugged, “I’m fine.”

“You don’t have to act strong.”

“It hurts like hell.” Brendon admitted, breathing out. “But that’s not the worst part of today.”

“Let me guess... You’re upset that I spilled water all over your car?”

Brendon rolled his eyes, “Is that how shallow you think I am?”

“Brendon, that’s how shallow you are.” I informed him.

Brendon pulled away, looking disgusted. “I’m trying to be myself here and-“ He shook his head, as if shaking the thoughts away. “It doesn’t even matter. You’ll-

“Stop.”

He shut up immediately, staring at me with his big brown eyes...

“I take it back.” I knew what it was like to be judged. I wasn’t going to do that to Brendon. “You be yourself; This time I’m paying attention.”

Brendon laughed, as if discarding some pent up thoughts. “You’re beautiful.”

My eyes filled with tears.

It wasn’t the words.

No, those words could mean nothing. Generally when they did mean something, they only held superficial value but right now... Brendon made them mean something else.

The look in his eyes made me feel beautiful.

That was something I wasn’t used to.



Ryan cleared his throat, stepping in to the room. “Excuse me for a second?” Brendon asked, glancing behind him.

“Sure.”





***



(Brendon’s POV)



“Brendon.” Ryan said my name so casually but the accusation was there. “You didn’t tell her.”

“I-“ I paused. “She’ll be mad.”

“Well, yeah.” Ryan looked at me as if I were an idiot. “How would you feel?”

“Why does she have to know Ry?”

Ryan stepped back, caught off guard by the old nickname. “What are you trying to pull?” His eyes narrowed.

I knew he didn’t trust me. “I want to get to know her.”

“Why?”

“Do I need a reason?”

“Yes.” Ryan shrugged, “But it really doesn’t matter. Either you tell her yourself or she’ll find out from someone else. Which would you prefer?”

“Who is gonna tell her; you?”

“Jon.”

Fuck.

How could I forget?





******



(I apologize if this chapter is confusing, or too mushy... Let me know if something didn’t make sense. My hand hurts. It hurts a lot. My dog decided to bite and not let go. Yeah... that doesn’t feel too great. Just thought I’d share my pain. Extra apology for unrealistic parts like the car and the drugs working so fast. It's better I don't drag it out.)
Sign up to rate and review this story