Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

Gerard Way: Visible Personification Of Inspiration.

by TheBrightestStar 3 reviews

Not a fanfic. We had to an essay/creative writing piece on the topic of 'Heroes' for school. I chose Gerard, just wanted you guys's opinions.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2012-04-25 - Updated: 2012-04-25 - 1001 words

1Moving
Inpirational.

The word is used far too loosely these days. Teenagers in particular use it to describe anyone and everyone - from people who got lucky on the internet, to TV talent show second-bests. They take their inspiration from people who didn't have to work to get to where they are today - perhaps that's why we're living in the most lethargic generation so far.

At the other end of the spectrum, mind you, there's those who believe there are no celebrities who are inspirational. Those who think that inspiration should be reserved for doctors, firefighters, police officers and those fighting for Queen and country overseas. I agree completely that those people are definitely inspirational, and worth looking up to - but are they really the only ones worthy of our respect?

In my opinion - they are not. I personally take my inspiration from Gerard Way, frontman of New Jersey rock band My Chemical Romance. People who aren't familiar with Way or the band, particularly those who know me, might assume that it's just me being a 'fangirl' to the band, and obsessing over his looks yet again. Those people couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, I find him very beautiful. But what is true beauty? The way we look on the exterior? Or the people we are on the inside?

Way is one of the lucky few who possess both. Oh, I know what you're thinking. Some of their music is so... angry. How in God's name can somebody who sings things like that be as sweet as you say he is? It's nothing new. A lot of people are skeptical at first. Just really goes to show how judgemental we as a society are.

Way's story really begins before he shot to fame. It begins in the famously rough area of Belleville, New Jersey, with a teenage boy who has a passion for art. He had a less than savoury life at school. As well as hurtful words about his appearance and snickers about his artistic style, he had to face up to physical bullying - including being punched and shoved into lockers. After an incident involving a school play, Way saw no other option than to transfer schools. But it was in vain; the teasing got worse. He was forced to take a female friend to his high school prom, after every other girl he asked turned him down.

At the age of fifteen, Way was held at gunpoint while the comic book store in which he worked was robbed. He said "I got held up with a .357 Magnum, had a gun pointed to my head and put on the floor, execution-style."

After struggling on through high school, Way became something of a recluse, shutting himself away in his bedroom and spending all day drawing. He'd draw whatever his imagination brought to him - anything at all to help him escape the real world. He attended art school for a short time, but felt as if he didn't fit in, as his style was too 'comic book.' Putting what he believed to be his only talent at the time to good use, he pitched a cartoon, only to be told his drawings were 'too dark' and have it turned down. That was when his trouble with addictions began - namely alcohol and anti-depressants.

In 2001, Way was working at the Cartoon Network office in New York. One day, expecting to attend work as per usual, Way left the underground subway station, only to be told to go back in. And then it happened - the planes crashed, the towers collapsed and the bodies rained down. That day was September 11th. And that was when he really decided to turn his life around. Throwing himself blindly into the world of music, he called up anybody he knew who had an instrument and they formed a band. The first few years were a shambles of drinking and drugs - but they released their first album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love in 2002.

Way's outlook on life changed when he met now-wife, Lindsey "LynZ" Ballato of Mindless Self Indulgence. Way has described her as being "the most perfect woman ever" and claims that she "knows me, without even knowing me". In 2009, Lindsey gave birth to their first and as of yet only child, Bandit Lee Way. Way has hinted that Bandit is already displaying musical interest, saying that "she's always going for the piano or the guitar."

Not only can everyone take inspiration from Way's story, his sweet nature and generous personality must be admired too. In 2004, Way asked fans not to buy their latest album, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, but requested that they gave the money they would've spent to a hurricane Katrina charity instead. He's known throughout his fanbase for encouraging people to be comfortable with their appearance, to value their friends and family above all else, and to speak out about issues such as self-harm and depression (both of which he has suffered with in the past). Indeed, he and the rest of his bandmates are so inspirational that many fans claim 'this band will save your life.'

I appreciate that some of My Chemical Romance's music may be a little heavy for a lot of people, and I know there's always going to be critics of every band. But surely nobody can deny that Gerard Way is a real modern-day hero? Think what you will about him musically. I think there's parts of his story that we can all take inspiration from. To me, at least, Gerard Way is the absolute visible personification of the word inspirational.

A/N: What did you guys think? Any kind of feedback and R&R is welcome :D
I did do a picture to go with this, but I can't upload them onto here. I'll put it up on my deviantArt profile and post a link as soon as my scanner is fixed.
Sign up to rate and review this story