Categories > Original > Romance > Roommate

Roommate

by lucyej 1 review

They were just friends...never anything more. Slash. Very short. One shot.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Romance - Published: 2006-07-05 - Updated: 2006-07-05 - 424 words - Complete

0Cliche
I used to have a great friend.

I'd lived with him for years, we were roommates, best friends. We had all sorts of fun, playing games, watching TV, you know, we'd hang out. Friends 'till the end.

He would always attract the ladies, he was sort of a magnet. I wasn't so lucky, but I had always thought that I was straight. I figured it was a given, never even considered the possibility that I could be attracted to the same sex as I was. But fate works in mysterious ways, doesn't it.

The first time I felt even a hint of gay-ness, was a Tuesday afternoon. Nothing special had happened that day, work was steady, weather as good as you can expect in Seattle in January. I walked into our apartment, loosened my tie and sat down in front of the television. Then he walked out of his room. It looked like he had just gotten out of bed, nothing special if you knew him like I did. But then it hit me. The way he looked was just...breathtaking. It was like a freight train hitting me at full speed.

It went on for months. The careful glances, the lingering hugs, the late night fantasies in the privacy of my own bed. I never thought I'd tell him, thought it was a phase, that I'd get over it eventually. Unfortunately 'fate', again, had another plan.

We were having dinner, pizza of course, when it happened. In retrospect, I suppose I could have been a bit more tactful. Blurting it out to him without any warning could not have been the best idea. Of course, it didn't help that my mouth was full of food at the time. So, he got a dirty shirt along with all my dirty laundry that I had been harboring for weeks.

I left him alone for a few days after that incident, checked myself into a hotel room. I thought he needed the space. Turns out he needed more space than I had thought. When I came back to the apartment he was gone. Every little trace, not even a note. I never saw him again.

I'd lost the love of my life, but he never saw me like I saw him. Just as friends. Friends 'till the end...but we ended a long time ago. I have my own life now, a great boyfriend, a better job. But whenever I get lonely I will always think back to him. To him, my best friend, my love.
Sign up to rate and review this story