(#) jadesabrexiv 2012-05-25Interesting start to a promising story. I have a few questions for you however:
1-Is there going to be any interaction between Harry and Luna?
2-Are you going to have Hermione have any further role in this series? A pen pal or something similar would fit. (Hr is my favorite character.)
3-What is the level of interaction between Harry and the other members of the Weasley family? You have already laid the foundation for Mo/Ron/'s role as an arse, but what about the twins and Bike Ginny?
4-How do you plan to get rid of Lockheart? The method in Canon won't work here. Maybe a Bludger accident?
5-Is there going to be problems with Lupin and Harry during year 3?
Sorry I am being long-winded, but I am in the middle of a long commute and this is an entertaining way to kill time. I look forward to the next chapter and am on the way to look at what else you have on this site.
Author's response1. very minimum
2. another review has actually made me consider that penpal idea
3. The interaction will mostly be that they're just like any other student in the house, except the Weasley twins are at least friendly.
4. Lockhart will get his, you'll see.
5. Not really sure how I'll play that one.
- One minor note -- sorry it's not a real review. In canon, Dippet was still alive at the point you have Harry start talking to his portrait.
Since you will no doubt have readers even more obsessive than me, you might want to explain that one way or the other. E.g., say why there was a portrait of a living person and assert that it was possible, or change it to a different headmaster. Or just have Harry exchange letters with Dippet directly.
Author's responseWrong. Dippet died in late 1992, which could be considered Oct-Dec. Since the Chamber was opened on Halloween, if Dippet had died in say early November, then it would have been entirely plausible if Harry had done so after that fact. But since I know there are serious uber fanatics about things like this, just to be a compete dick, Armando Dippet died on October 31, 1992, at the exact same time as Mrs. Norris became petrified.
Besides, no one ever said the person had to be dead for the portrait to activate. They could activate as soon as their likenesses tenure as Hogwarts Head ends. It could entirely be a coincidence that all of the other Headmasters and Headmistresses tenure ended by death, and Dippet is the only one who'd actually gotten the chance to actually retire.
- Interesting concept with a few changes causing considerable variation from canon as they ripple down through time. 'Twill be most interesting to see further repurcussions and how they affect Remus, Sirius, and others ('twill be most interesting to see how this version of Harry interacts with Tom). I do hope, because I like her character, that Hermione remains at least a small part of Harry's life.
Author's responseWell, I can say that Sirius lovers might hate me for how the third year turns out.
I wasn't planning on Hermione being a part at all, but I guess they can be penpals or something.
(#) jabarber69 2012-05-28WoW, great story....except you ought to come up with a title for it! I started reading and couldnt stop, but sadly I came to the end of the prologue....love this version of the hp story definitely want to see more....
maybe you ought to see if they could come up with a spell to make myrtle solid or alive for short periods of time at least in say a couple of years so then they could you know snog and maybe shag in the chamber in later years while harry becomes the headmaster they would have years and years of time together....
Author's responseI can't think of a good title for it.
As for Myrtle, I have plans for her.
- I like it so far. It's an interesting take on how Harry might have turned out had he been even more distrustful of adults and hadn't befriended Ron or Hermione. Surprising, I do like Myrtle in this. I usually don't much care for her, as she tends to come across as annoying, but I like the character that you gave her. Anyways, keep up the good work. I'll be looking for an update.
Author's responseI always thought that Myrtle was another underappreciated character. And believe me when I say, things will only get more interesting, especially once they realize that Harry is far from easily forgiving.
- Very good so far. Minor point, it's Rhodes scholar, not roads.
Author's responseThanks for telling me that. Although, since I'm too lazy to g and change it, I'm just going to go with the excuse that Harry only heard the phrase in passing. Since he could deduce what it meant- having heard it reference about his cousin- he could use it, but he didn't know how to actually spell it or anything.
Sign up to review this story.