Categories > TV > Doctor Who

Time letters

by AncientGallifrey 0 reviews

Romana writes a letter to the Doctor, detailing her time in E-Space.

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-06-02 - Updated: 2012-06-02 - 618 words - Complete

0Unrated
I gently pick up the pen, careful to see no ink droplets fall. Next, with the same gentleness I place the tip of the pen upon the paper. The paper looks rough and scarred, just as if the time winds were slowly fraying the tiny fibres apart.
“This is so ancient; it might not even work anymore.” I murmur to myself.
Circling my hand carefully I start to write, the loops and swirls delicately brushing the decaying paper. As I do, the words start to flow out from my heart, my mind no longer seeing the paper, but my memories.

Dear Doctor,

I hope you are well. I am writing with a time-letter machine, they were used long ago as an early form of communication. As you write, the message can be sent anywhere across time and space. It’s so old, maybe even the TARDIS will pick it up. Since I left you, I have been to many planets that even you couldn’t of dreamed of. My latest adventure was on Xenon. It most be the most tranquil place in both universes, it may even beat the Eye of Orion. Endless rain would spatter the silver leaves, clashing lightning would flash, the rumble heaving it’s away across a vast sky. The scent of the air was like no flower I’ve ever seen, sweet yet sour at the same time. It was hard to believe anybody would enslave a race on a planet like that. But as much as I’ve enjoyed my time here in E-Space, helping the Tharils free their race, I am truly lonely at heart.
I still miss the times I spent with you, the thrill of adventure, that rush of excitement, solving mysteries and saving lives. Even through the bad times, the sadness and guilt, wishing you could of done more. But now all that is over, I chose my path. If I had never had met you, I wouldn’t be who I am now. I would just be an ordinary Time-Lady of non-intervention. But even more so, I would not keep the feelings I have locked forever in my heart.
I promise one day I will return, this gateway may be closed to N-Space, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be another. You never gave up hope even when things were bleak, so neither shall I. You never backed down from doing what needed to be done, even if you were afraid. Even though I am afraid now, I have to speak my heart to you….

My hand abruptly stops mid-sentence. The memories start to fade from my eyes, and a damp mist replaces it. I can feel the tears starting to well up within my eyelids, yearning to break free. I can hold back no longer, my head collapses onto the table, my ink pen spinning from the grasp. The tears come streaming down my cheeks, seemingly endless. As I lift my head up once again, I see the fallen tears, masking the paper where I was about to write. The already decaying paper, started to shrivel with the salted droplets. Even so I reach for the pen yet again, and carry on writing over the shrivelling paper.

I really and truly love you, even if you don’t feel the same, I always will till the end of time. Either in the future, past or present, I know we will meet again.

From Romana

I stop writing, the paper now totally disintegrated.
“Even if he never gets it, it won’t matter because my feelings will stay true forever, and I wait patiently for the time for when we are reunited.” I solemnly declare.
Sign up to rate and review this story