Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Strangeland

Chapter Ten

by ArielMaria 0 reviews

Two years ago was the last time Jared had been afraid, two years ago he had been met with Shannon's anger. Does that have anything to do with what was happening now?

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-06-04 - Updated: 2012-06-05 - 1083 words - Complete

0Unrated
That night two years ago had been a damp one, the aftermath of rain still clinging to the streets. It was Jared’s birthday and they were celebrating with a party down at some nearby club. He had invited nearly every friend he knew, not caring that the expenses had risen drastically with each guest, he just wanted to have the greatest time. He hadn’t known Emma yet and he hadn’t quite tamed his way of living.He was still the one girl a night, party after work, surrounded by adorers type of guy. He was having a great time and tonight would just eclipse the sort of life he wanted to live. He didn’t exactly have a direction, he just wanted life. That was exactly what he got.

He had tried to get Shannon to have some drinks with him, tried to get him to join in on dozens of conversations but it wasn’t working. Shannon was worried, nervous even. His girlfriend, Alicia hadn’t come by yet and she hadn’t left him a message or text as to why. Jared tried to tell him it was nothing but of course that hadn’t worked.

The night wore on with Jared getting more drunk and Shannon retreating more into the back of the room. The music was loud and his shaded eyes watched the party unimpressed but somehow with a bit of longing also. He had the thought that he wanted to join his younger brother in his seemingly exciting life but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it no matter how many times he was invited to. He felt like the people Jared surrounded himself with would look down on him or wouldn’t be exactly good enough for him to hang around. It was all conflicting, every thought in his head. But he was only distracting himself from the worry he couldn’t bring himself to shake. Alicia still wasn’t here, midnight was approaching and he could feel his anxiety clenching tightly in his chest. He wondered if she knew what he had done but that was impossible. No one knew about that.

“You gonna sit there all night?” Jared asked- more like slurred- as he dropped down next to Shannon.

“Until Alicia gets here.” Shannon kept his eyes on the entrance. Where the hell was she?

Jared lifted the bottle in his hands to his lips before wiping at them. “Maybe she forgot?”

“She wouldn’t.” He muttered, casting a glare to his brother. He saw what a mess he was. His hair hadn’t held during the night, his eyes were tired and he reeked of alcohol. What a picture of popularity he was. “You’re pathetic.” He shook his head with disappointment and then turned away.

“You gonna tell me again that mom wouldn’t approve?”

“She wouldn’t.”

“Well she wouldn’t approve of you either, if she knew…”

Shannon looked at him, tearing off his sunglasses when he did. “Shut the hell up.”

“Why should I?” Jared smiled and stood up off the couch.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m calling Alicia, maybe she can come down here and wipe all that damned jealousy off your face!” He began to walk away, laughing as he did.

Shannon caught up with him just as Jared went outside and pulled out his phone. “Knock it off Jared. Just get your ass back to the party.”

“No! You’re on edge, you’re worried and you deserve an answer! You should know why she isn’t here yet.” He began dialing the number but stopped and looked up at Shannon as if an idea had just dawned on him. “Do you think she knows? Knows that you slept with her sister?”

Shannon inhaled a heavy breath and turned away. “Shut the hell up Jared….”

“Don’t be so upset about it. I’ve slept with sisters before…the trick is you don’t let them find out. But that’s what you’re so worried about.” Jared stopped talking, his eyes locked somewhere behind Shannon. Harshly he swallowed, nervously as he tried to grasp something meaningful to say. “Hey Alicia…”

Shannon was taken aback by his last words and almost painfully slow he turned around and was faced with Alicia standing there. She had tears in her eyes as he looked at her, disbelief clouding her face. She had probably overheard everything.

“Baby, she’s drunk…” Shannon made to reach out for her but she backed away.

“Shan, I’m sorry….” Jared softly said, lowering his phone into his pocket. “…I’ll just get back…”

“You don’t go anywhere!” Shannon shouted, facing him with an anger seething in his eyes.

“Let him get inside.” Alicia whispered, wiping at her fallen tears.

Shannon ignored her though as he reached out and took Jared by his shirt. He managed to get him to the ground and straddled his waist. He punched him once in the face and then encircled his hands around his neck. Jared fought back but couldn’t find the kind of strength to get him off. Alicia screamed out and ran inside before coming out again with a couple of guys. Jared was losing breath, his eyes were wide with fear and Shannon’s hands had gone white with pressure. His face was blank as if what he was doing hadn’t really processed to him yet. The two guys managed to get Shannon off of him, causing him to stumble and fall on his knees. Jared turned over onto his stomach and coughed coarsely as he grabbed his throat.

“You bastard!” He choked out, gesturing wildly towards Shannon. He made to go to him but the same two guys restrained him.

Shannon rose to his feet and gripped onto Alicia’s unwilling arm. He said something into her ear and then pulled her towards the car she had come in. Jared wanted to go after them but the guys told him to let it be, a lovers quarrel didn’t involve anyone else. Later on Shannon had come home, going upstairs without a word. Jared didn’t want to show the bruise on his face to his mom and he didn’t want to hear what Shannon had to say. He did want to know what had happened with Alicia but when he called her her sister said that she had left town earlier in the morning.
Sign up to rate and review this story