Categories > Original > Romance

Not Enough Time

by BeTina92 0 reviews

Kate and Amy were so in love they never thought anything could tear them apart, but forces beyond their control were at work.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2012-06-07 - Updated: 2012-06-08 - 6431 words

0Unrated
Chapter 1

They hadn’t seen each other in over a month. Kate had been away on a business trip, while Amy was left at home alone. They had been together for 10 years, 10 of the happiest years for both of them. They had met in college during their freshman year; Kate and Amy were both majoring in business management. They fell in love almost immediately.
But now Kate was finally on her way home from the airport after a month away from the love of her life. She could barely sit still in the cab as it made its way across the city. She watched as the buildings of New York rushed by. She had seen these buildings a million times before but they seemed different this time. She couldn’t quite explain it but everything seemed different this time, somehow better and brighter. Then she realized that the more she thought about Amy the brighter things seem to get. Her heart lifted as she realized that she would be home in only a few short minutes. She pulled her cell from her pocket and dialed the number that was second nature to her. She listened as the phone rang several times, then she heard the one voice that could make everything better. “Hello,” she heard the angelic voice ring out. “Hi honey,” she said almost in a whisper, “I’m almost home, it should only be a minute or two till I will be out front.” “Thank god, I don’t know if I can stand to be without you for one more second.” Amy replied. Without another word they both turned off their phones at the same time. The cab turned slowly onto Kate’s street, and she watched as the house numbers slowly went up, 1001…1009…1019…1035…then finally 1049. She was finally home, she looked at the well-groomed lawn, Amy’s doing not hers. She could care less about the lawn but Amy insisted that they hire a lawn service to come at a minimum of once a week. That was one of the things she loves about Amy though, Amy had to have everything be perfect. Amy spent countless hours shopping and decorating their home, and while Kate didn’t really care what the house looked like, Amy never bought anything without Kate’s approval.
As the cab began to slow Kate looked up and watched as the front door slowly opened. Amy appeared from behind the door and stepped out onto the front porch, their dog at her heels. Amy didn’t have a jacket on but the air was cool and crisp. As the cold air hit her she wrapped her arms around herself, rubbing her arms up and down. The cab pulled to stop in front of the place Kate called home for 6 and half years. Kate could feel her heart racing, a sensation that no matter how long they were together, Kate felt for Amy.
Kate handed the driver the charge, as well as a hefty tip, something that she got from Amy. Amy was known for over tipping everywhere they went. Whenever they went out to dinner waiter and waitress would fight to serve their table knowing that they would benefit from Amy’s generosity. Kate gathered up her purse and slowly stepped from the cab. Just as she turned to walk to the back of the cab she felt that familiar hand on her arm. Amy snuck up behind her, gripped her arm, and spun her around into her arms. Before Kate could even realize what was happening, Amy’s lips had met with hers. Kate dropped her arms to Amy sides, wrapping them around her back pulling her in closer. Kate pulled away from the kiss so that she could look into the eyes of her lover. “Well that was a very nice welcome home.” Kate said. “I’ve missed you so much, I have been going crazy without you in my arms.” Kate pulled Amy into her arms, squeezing her, never wanting to let her go. Amy pulled back realizing that the cab driver was waiting for Kate to get her backs from the back. “I’m sorry, here let me get those.” Amy offered. Grabbing one bag in each hand Amy started back towards the house. She could sense Kate behind her, watching her as she walked. Amy smiled; loving that after 10 years the woman she loved would still check her out. She could sense Kate watching her ass as she walked away so she decided to have some fun with it. She began to shake her butt back and forth; she heard Kate begin to laugh. Amy walked up the front porch steps and stepped inside the double doors, placing the bags at the bottom of the staircase. She watched as Kate walked in, unable to take her eyes off the vision of beauty walking towards her. Kate smiled as she entered the house, “thank god I’m finally home. You have no idea how much I’ve missed it here, and you.” She said as she put down the bags she carried and sauntered over to Amy, taking her into her arms. She slowly rocked from side to side, hands on Amy’s sides, Amy’s back to the banister of the staircase. Amy smiled happy to finally have her lover’s arms around her again. For the first time in a month she felt safe and protected, it was the first time in a month that she had felt truly at home. Amy wrapped her arms around Kate’s neck interlocking her fingers behind Kate. Amy’s heart raced and her stomach filled with butterflies; the closer she got to Kate the faster her heartbeat. She was sure that her heart was going to beat out of her chest soon. Kate placed the back of her hand gently on Amy’s face looking deep into the love of her life’s eyes. She flipped her hand over and pulled Amy’s face closer to her, rubbing her nose against Amy’s. Breathing slowly Kate slowly allowed her lips to get closer to Amy’s. She could feel Amy’s soft lips brush softly against hers; she pulled back slightly not ready to give into her desires. She felt as Amy’s lips slowly parted, begging and pleading with her to kiss her. Kate gave in pressing her lips slowly but confidently against Amy’s. Amy ran her fingers though Kate long blond hair, taking in every second she was with her. Kate slowly moved from Amy mouth to her cheek, working her way to Amy’s neck. Amy tilted her head to the side already knowing where her lover was going to go next. As Kate reached Amy’s neck, Amy let out a low moan as she felt the familiar lips against her skin. Amy reached up between her and Kate and slowly undid the buttons on Kate’s jacket. After she undid the last button she moved her hands inside the jacket slowly letting them drift upward forcing the jacket from her lover’s shoulders. The jacket slipped slowly to the floor, nothing more than a memory. Kate moved back to Amy’s lips, needing them. After a moment Amy pulled back, looking into Kate’s eyes, both of them knowing what was coming next; both of them ripe with anticipation. They had been apart for so long they needed to become one once again. Amy turned, Kate’s hand in hers, leading her upstairs to their bedroom. Step by step their hearts began to beat faster, their breath quickening. As they reached the door Kate slowly began to unbutton Amy’s shirt. Amy had wore the shirt on purpose knowing it was Kate’s favorite, knowing it would drive her insane. Kate’s fingers moved with deliberate determination, knowing the exact location of each button. Kate moved back as she finished the last button looking into Amy’s eyes, “I’ve miss you so, I love you…” her words trailing off as Amy kissed her again. Amy didn’t want to talk; she knew they didn’t need to. She knew that all they had to do was look at each other or feel the other’s touch to know everything the other was thinking. They moved together as one to the bed, falling in unison. All thoughts of the world outside, gone; it was just them, just this moment. They had a month to catch up on and the night was only beginning.



Chapter 2

The sun shone in through the curtains, warm and welcoming, its gentle light wrapping its self around Kate and Amy. Amy lay there in Kate’s arms, happy and satisfied. It had been one of the greatest nights of her life. It was perfect in every way. The love of her life was back and she could finally feel the safe warm arms envelope her once again. She moved closer to Kate and she felt the familiar arm squeeze tighter holding her closer. Kate placed a hand gently on Amy head, softly brushing the hair from Amy’s face. Amy allowed herself to fall back to sleep, content and happy.
She awoke about an hour later, alone. She looked around the room; Kate was nowhere to be found. She climbed slowly out of bed and walked downstairs, hearing a noise in the kitchen she turned to her right at the bottom of the stairs and headed in that direction. The closer she came to the entrance of their kitchen the more she smelled the reason for her lover’s disappearance. The smell of fresh brewed coffee, frying eggs, and bacon drifted from the kitchen. As she entered, Kate looked up from the stove, “Oh, honey you are awake. I was going to bring you breakfast in bed. Just my little way of saying thank you for last night.” A devilish smile came across Kate’s face and her mind jumped back to the events of last night.
Kate walked slowly over to Amy with a plate, setting it down on the table in front of her. Kate then wrapped her arm around Amy’s waist and pulled her in for a long passionate kiss. “Eat love, you must be starving after last night.” Kate said. “What about you?” Amy questioned.
“Unfortunately, I don’t have time.”
“Why? I thought you had the day off.”
“Well I was suppose to but James called this morning and asked that I come in.”
“Sweetheart, you just got home after a month away. Don’t they owe you at least one day?”
“I wish that were true. Amy, you know how it is. You know I would love to spend the day in bed with you. But, I can’t, I just can’t. Now eat your breakfast and I will call you later.”
Kate kissed Amy on the head and then the lips. She took one final sip of her coffee and was out the door, briefcase in hand. Amy sat there for a few moments, the sadness and loneliness she had become so accustomed to over the last month returning. She knew that Kate’s job was important and how much Kate loved her work. She just wished it didn’t take up so much of Kate’s life.

As Kate opened the door to her car, she already felt the pang of guilt. She had lied to the most important person in her life. How could she ever tell Amy? It had been six months since she had got the news, and she still hadn’t been able to find a way to tell her. She knew that the longer she went hiding it the harder it would be to tell Amy. However, Kate knew that it would kill Amy, and the one thing Kate could never do was hurt Amy. All Kate knew, right now, was she needed to get out of the house and clear her head. She had laid beside Amy this morning beating herself up for not being able to be honest with her. She felt the tension building inside of her the longer she was there.
She started the car and pulled dangerously fast from the driveway. She started down the street, no particular destination in mind. Before she knew it she was on the highway, foot heavy on the petal. She didn’t care; the speed was the only thing that made her feel better. She needed it to relax her; it was all she had.
Six months ago she hadn’t been feeling well. She had had a headache for a week straight, no matter what she did nothing helped. After a lot of pushing and pleading from Amy, Kate went to the doctor. After a CT Scan and an MRI, the results showed that she had a small tumor pressing on her brain. The doctors were hopeful that it would be a simple procedure, in and out. However, it was still the scariest thing one could ever go through. Kate couldn’t put Amy through this. She wanted to protect Amy from the worry and stress, but she couldn’t continue to keep this from her. Especially since the date of the surgery was fast approaching. She had to tell her, and she had to tell her today.
She got off the very next exit and drove to the local florist. She picked up a dozen of Amy’s favorite flowers. As she started back home she felt the nervousness begin to build in her stomach. Her brain was racing, what was she going to say? This was the hardest thing she would ever have to do. Her first thought when she heard the results wasn’t for herself but for how this would affect Amy. Amy was always the first thing on her mind before anything and everyone else.
She pulled the car slowly into the driveway. She turned off the ignition and just sat there in the car, not wanting to go inside. Kate sat there for a few moments before she began to cry. All the emotions she had kept bottled up for six months came flooding to the surface. What if the surgery didn’t go perfectly, or they couldn’t get it all? What if she died? No, she couldn’t think about that now, she had to focus on Amy. She had to be strong for Amy. She slowly opened the car door and stepped out. Walking slowly to the door she tried to figure out what she would say. She opened the door, continuing slowly inside. “Amy, I’m back, where are you?” Kate hollered.
“Kate, what are you doing back?” Amy walked into the main entrance from the living room.
“Amy, I need to talk to you.”
Amy seeing the flowers in Kate’s hand immediately panicked. “Oh God, something happened while you were gone didn’t it? Who was she? Do you even know her name?” Amy continued to ramble off questions.
“Amy, Amy baby calm down, honey nothing happened. Sweetheart, please just listen to me. I have something I have to tell you.” Kate handed Amy the flowers and lead her by the hand to the living room. “Come on honey let’s sit down on the couch.”
“Kate what the hell is going on?”
“Amy, I don’t know how to even begin to tell you this. But please just listen to everything I have to say.” Amy nodded her head; the tears already begin to fall down her cheeks. “Amy do you remember about six months ago when I was having that really bad headache and you forced me to go to the doctor?” Amy again just nodded her head, unable to form words. “Well, honey the test showed that I…” Kate’s words trailing off, she had to continue, but how? “Honey, I have a…oh god I can’t. Amy there is a small tumor pressing on my brain.” Amy let out a heart-wrenching gasp and she began to sob uncontrollably. “Amy, the doctors said I am going to be fine. It’s a simple procedure and they should be able to get all of it, no problem. Honey, please calm down.” Amy threw her arms around Kate, knocking her back. Kate held on to her trying unsuccessfully to calm her.
Then after several minutes Amy raspy, faint voice rose from Kate’s chest. “How long have you known?”
“Six months.” It was all Kate could manage.
Amy leaned up, looking at her in astonishment. “Six months, six months, you’ve known for six months.” Each time she said it her voice grew louder. “How could you know for six months and not tell me. Nothing, not a word. You have been lying to me for six months.”
“Honey I have been trying to find a way to tell you. It’s not like this is something you can tell the person you love over dinner, ‘oh by the way I have a tumor.’ This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I wanted to do it the right way.”
“Oh, and you thought the right way was to wait six months. I can’t believe you, why didn’t you tell me?”
“Because I didn’t want to upset you, and have you worrying for months when there was nothing you could do.”
“So why now?”
“Because the surgery to remove it is next week.”
“Next week?” Amy’s voice breaking with each word.
“Yes. Honey I want you there with me. I need you there. I know you hate me right now for lying to you for so long but you have to get that I had my reasons.”
Softly, not more than a whisper, Amy replied, “I don’t hate you. I love you; of course I will be there. I would never let you go through this alone. I understand why you lied; I just wish you had told me. Instead of keeping it all bottled up and dealing with it yourself. I am here for you; we are a team. You don’t have to go through things alone.”

“I know; I was just scared to tell you because it makes it real.” Kate put her head on top of Amy’s and finally let her self fully feel it all, and she began to cry as well. They stayed there for hours just holding each other neither one wanting to let the other go.


Chapter 3

Here they were a week later, sitting in the hospital wait for the doctor to say it was time. Kate felt helpless laying in that damned hospital bed nothing but a stupid plastic grown shielding her from the world. Amy sat beside her, worrying, her eyes red from crying. No matter how hard she tried she couldn’t stop crying. Kate promised her that everything would be fine, but neither one of them truly knew that. How could they? Finally after half and hour the doctor came in. “Kate we are ready to take you to surgery, you friend will have to wait in the waiting room. Are they any relatives here that we can inform when you are do?” He said in a booming, overly confident voice.
“You can tell her.” Kate said gesturing towards Amy.
“Well, we like to have a least one family member present.” The doctor replied.
“She is my family, my only family. She’s my partner.” Kate shot back already aware of where this conversation was going. “Furthermore, when I am out of surgery she is to be brought back as soon as family is allowed. She is my family and I will sign whatever fucking piece of paper I have to, to ensure she is the first person I see when I wake up. Do I make myself clear?”
“Yes, very. I am sorry, I completely understand.” The doctor said. He turned and walked quietly out of the room without another word.
“Kate, you shouldn’t have done that.”
“Why the hell not. I’m tired of this shit.”
“I know honey, but he was only following protocol.”
“Well his protocol can kiss my ass.”
“Okay, honey, okay calm down.” Amy stood up and walked closer to the bed. Leaning over she kissed Kate gently and the head and then softly but passionately on the lips. “I love you and I will be right here when you wake up.”
“Amy, before I go, make me one promise. If something happens, promise me that you will find someone else. Promise me you will be happy again.”
“Kate, I can’t make that promise. You know that I would die right along with you. I could never love anyone, nor would I want to.”
“Amy please I can’t die knowing you will be alone.”
The tears began to well up in Amy’s eyes. “Kate stop, just stop, nothing is going to happen to you. You are going to be fine, and that’s the end of it.”
“Amy, I love you. More than my own life, you are everything to me. I never truly lived till I met you. You changed my world, girl. I will always love you with every fiber of my being.”
“I love you too, Kate. I wouldn’t be half the person I am now without you.” They kissed long and hard, until the nurses came in to take Kate to surgery. Amy held on to Kate’s hand as long as she could, until Kate disappeared behind the double doors to the operating rooms.

Amy sat there, head in her hands, trying to keep herself from crying. She was so worried, and she hated not being able to be with Kate right now. She felt so helpless, what if something went wrong? No, she couldn’t think like that, Kate would be fine. Amy couldn’t just sit here anymore she needed to walk around. She rose slowly and walked out of the waiting room to the nurses’ station. The nurse looked up slowly, “Can I help you?”
“Yes, I’m waiting for Kate Peters to come out of surgery. I’m going to walk to the cafeteria. If you need to find me please contact me on my cell phone.”
“Of course, no problem ma’am.”
“Thank you.” Amy turned and walked away. Amy didn’t know where she was going; she just knew she couldn’t be there anymore. She walked down the long hallways of the hospital, its sterile-ness and plain white walls surrounding her. After walking for some time she found herself outside the chapel. Amy had grown up Catholic and had practiced her entire childhood, but in recent years she had been struggling with her faith. Maybe this was what she needed to bring it back. She entered the chapel and walked to the front pew. She sat down and looked up at the altar and she immediately began to cry. “God, I know it’s been a while since we last talked. I’m not even sure if you are listening to me anymore. But, I need your help, the woman I love is sick. But, I guess you already know that.” Amy hung her head. “Please God help her through this. Don’t take her from me; I still need her. She’s everything to me; she’s my reason to get out of bed every morning. Please protect her and let her make it through this surgery.” Amy sat there for a few moments longer, praying the Our Father, the only prayer she fully remembered. After leaving the chapel, she made her way back to the waiting room. It had be over two hours already, what was taking so long? Then she saw the doctor coming down the hall, heading in her direction. Immediately Amy registered the look on the doctor’s face, something had happened.
“Amy, right? You are with Kate Peters.”
“Yes.” Amy replied her voice shaking.
“Amy, please sit down.” Amy sat reluctantly. “Amy, there was a small complication. The tumor was deeper than we initially thought. When we tried to remove it she had a stroke. We did everything we could for her.”
“Is she okay?” Amy was trying to process what the doctor was saying.
“We aren’t sure yet, Amy she may not wake up. We will monitor her, but it is a strong possibility. Even if she does there may be complications. She may have lost function of parts of her body. If she doesn’t wake up in a few hours we will slowly begin to take her of the machines to see if she can survive on her own and go from there. I am so sorry.” And with that the doctor turned and walked away, leaving Amy alone with her thoughts.
“Doctor, wait, when can I see her?”
“Someone will be out to take you back in a few moments. Once she has been placed into the recovery room and everything is settled.” He turned and disappeared through the doors.

Kate lay there, looking so peaceful, nothing to indicate she had just been through surgery except the bandage around her head. Amy paused just inside the door, breaking down almost immediately. Oh god, how could this be happening? She went to Kate’s side and took Kate’s hand in hers. It was the hand she knew so well, the hand that had held her so tightly when she told her parents.
Amy hadn’t seen or spoken to her parents in over eight years. Not since she told them:
They walked in side by side, Amy more nervous than ever before. More than the first time Kate touched her, or the first time Kate kissed her. She wasn’t sure she could do this, but she knew she had to. She and Kate had been together for almost two years, and she was tired of lying to her family. It wasn’t fair to her, to Kate, or to her family, they deserved better. Her parents had met Kate before, but she was ‘just a friend.’ They knew Kate was gay but they weren’t smart enough to put two and two together. Amy had had only one boyfriend her entire life and that was in the second grade. She had never been attracted to any other guys.
Kate had asked her to marry her at dinner last week, so Amy knew she had to tell her family. Kate had assured her that it was okay if she didn’t but Amy wanted to. She hoped her family would accept her and attend their commitment ceremony.
Kate gave her a reassuring smile as she rang the doorbell. Amy’s mom opened the door with a warm welcome for both of them. “Hi, mom.” Amy said.
“Amy, what are you doing here?”
“Mom, I came to tell you something. Is dad here?”
“Why yes, he is upstairs. I will get him.”
“All right, Kate and I will be in the living room.” Amy and Kate walked to the living room and sat down next to each other on the couch. Kate sat down from Amy a bit not sure how close she should be. Amy looked at her and signaled her closers, so Kate slid over beside her. Amy’s mom and dad entered and sat in the recliners across from them. “All right honey, is something wrong? Do you need something?” Amy’s mom started.
“No, no I’m fine, happy…” her voice trailing off then growing strong, “That’s why I’m here. I know this is going to be hard to hear, and it might be a little shocking at first, but please remember that I’m happier than I’ve ever been. Mom, dad for the past two years Kate and I…” She looked down and slipped her hand inside Kate’s. Kate squeezed it, giving Amy the strength she needed to continue. It reminded her that no matter what happened she would always have Kate and that was enough. She looked into Kate’s eyes and continued, “…we have been, well, we are together. And Kate’s asked me to marry her and I said yes. I love her and plan to spend the rest of my life with her.” Amy looked back at her parents.
Her dad spoke first, as her mother was crying to hard. “You will not young lady. You are moving back in here this moment and you will never speak to that woman again.” He boomed, gesturing towards Kate. “If you don’t you will never be welcome in the house again. Do you understand me?”
“Yes, father I understand perfectly.” The tears welling up, her heart breaking. “I wish you could accept me for who I am, but if you can’t than I don’t want any part of this family.”
“Amy, wait. Please sir, just listen to her.” Kate piped up.
“Don’t you dare speak to me. You can get out of my house immediately.”
Kate stood up, Amy’s hand still in hers. She turned to face Amy, “I will leave, and you should stay.”
“No, I am not leaving you. You are the most important person to me. I love you and I am going to spend the rest of my life with you.” Amy turned to her parents, “If you can’t accept me than that is too bad. Goodbye mother, goodbye father.” And with that she turned and walked hand in hand with Kate out of that house forever.
Now Amy held that same hand, wondering how long the rest of their life together would be. Kate had to wake up; she just had to. Amy didn’t know how to live without her and she didn’t want to have to find out. Amy kissed her softly on the lips, “Sweetheart, it’s me, they let me in just like you asked. Honey, you have to wake up. You aren’t allowed to leave me here all alone. You have to come back to me; you were always the strong one. I don’t know how to live without you. Please honey, open your eyes. Please, please, plea…” Kate’s words drifting off into sobs. She laid her head on Kate’s stomach and broke down. Then she felt it, the slow but subtle movement of Kate’s hand. Amy’s head flew up, Kate’s eyes were fluttering and then slowly she began to open them. Amy’s heart soared, as a smile broke over Kate’s face. “Hey you.” Was all Kate said. Kate was awake; it was a miracle. Amy pressed the nurse call button, and a nurse came rushing in, “She’s awake, she’s awake.” Amy shouted. The nurse came to Kate’s side checking her vitals and then called for the doctor. After looking Kate over the doctor smiled and said everything looked normal. The doctor explained to Kate everything that had happened. Kate listened shocked and worry on her face. Amy never left her side as the doctor explained, squeezing her hand at points. The doctor explained that due to the stroke they were unable to remove the whole tumor, and that it was too risky to try again. “What does that mean doctor?” Kate asked.
“Well, it means that we will have to look at other treatments.”
“What sort of treatments?”
“Well mainly, we are looking at a round of Chemotherapy.”
Kate’s head fell as she began to cry. Amy pulled her closer, holding her tighter. “Kate listen to me…” Amy whispered into Kate’s ear, “…we will get through this, together. Kate everything is going to be okay.”
“HOW, HOW CAN EVERYTHING BE OKAY?” Kate snapped back, immediately regretting it. “Honey, I’m…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…”
Amy pulled Kate in. “It’s all right love. I know.”
“I will leave you two alone and be back to get on you later.” With that the doctor walked out of the room. Kate and Amy just stayed there, neither one of them moving, both of their minds racing with questions. Would things be okay? Would Kate make it through this? What was next?
Kate began to move, scooting away from Amy. Amy looked at her with surprise, “What are you doing?”
“I want you beside me.”
“Kate you just had surgery, I don’t think they would allow that.”
“I don’t fucking care. Now lay down beside me.” Amy crawled into the tiny hospital bed beside Kate. Amy tried to scoot up so she could hold Kate but immediately Kate wrap her arms around Amy, holding her. “Kate, you can let me be the strong one sometimes.”
“I like being the strong one, and right now I need to feel like I am.”
They lay there in each other’s arms falling fast asleep. The nurses came and went without a word.


Chapter 4

It had been two weeks since the surgery and the doctors were finally allowing Kate to go home. As Amy packed the lasted of Kate’s things, the nursed walked in pushing the wheel chair in front of her. “We sure are going to miss the two of you around here. You two have inspired so many of us. Please don’t forget about us and come back sometime to say hi.”
“Mary, how could we ever forget any of you? You have all been so amazing to us, bending the rules for us. We love each and everyone of you, and we promise to come back a visit sometime.” Kate said as she sat down in the wheel chair. Amy had already made several trips to the car with all of the flowers, balloons, and presents that had decorated Kate’s room. The nurses had thrown her a goodbye party the day before, complete with cake and ice cream. Grabbing the last of Kate’s things, Amy started out ahead of the wheel chair, with Kate and the nurse following. She could hear them talking and was enjoying just listening to the sound of Kate’s voice. She had been so worried that she would never hear it again that for the last two weeks she had never missed a word Kate said or a thing Kate did. Amy had barely left the room for a total of five minutes for the past two weeks. The nurses were even nice enough to have her breakfast, lunch, and dinner delivered to the room with Kate’s. They set up a cot for her in the room, though she barely used it, sleeping mainly with Kate in the hospital bed. None of the nurses ever said a word about her staying in the bed even though it was against hospital policy.

Amy pulled into the driveway and heard as Kate let out a sigh. Finally they were home, together and safe. Amy got out of the car quickly and hurried to Kate’s side. “Here babe let me help you.”
“Amy the surgery was two weeks ago, I’m fine.” Kate grabbed a few bags from the bag of the car and headed inside. Amy followed hands full of flowers and balloons. When Amy entered she saw Kate standing at the top of the steps, looking down at her. “So are you going to join me up here or what?”
“Kate are you sure we should do this? You just got out of the hospital.”
“Yes and I am finally home and I want to be with the woman I love now get your fine ass up here.” Amy walked slowly up the stairs; Kate turned and headed into the bedroom.
Entering the bedroom, Amy saw that Kate was already sitting on the bed. She walked over and stood in front of Kate. Kate slowly ran her arms up Amy’s back, pulling her closer. Amy leaned down and kissed Kate, slowly at first, then harder and harder. Amy reached down and pulled Kate’s shirt over her head, not wanting to fiddle with buttons. She had always hated buttons. Amy tossed the shirt to the side and immediately began to work on Kate’s bra, tossing it off to the side as well. She took in Kate breasts with her eyes and slowly moved her hands up to them. Kate let out a soft moan, and Amy pushed Kate down on the bed.

Amy woke up first the next morning; she was still wrapped in Kate’s arms. She felt the cold move through her. Usually Kate’s arms were warm but not this morning. This morning her arms were icey cold. Amy still had her head on Kate’s chest; after a few moments she realized the Kate’s chest wasn’t rising or falling. Amy immediately sat up and began to shake Kate trying to wake her. Amy got no response, so she reached for the phone beside her, dialing 911.

Half an hour later, Amy was sitting in the hospital once again, waiting for the doctor. Finally, she saw him coming down the hallway. She ran up to him, “How is she, what happened, when can I see her?”
“Amy, please sit down…” He gestured to the seat beside her. She sank down into the seat and he took the seat beside her. “Amy, please just try and listen to me. Some time in the night Kate had an aneurism. They can happen after brain surgery, she went quickly and didn’t feel any pain.”
Amy can’t believe what she was hearing, the color drained from her face. With every word, her heart broke more and more, until she was sure it would never mend again. She wondered to herself how she would ever get through this? What should she do next? She was sure that Kate had a will, because that was Kate, always prepared. But Kate had been by her side for so long she didn’t know how to live by herself, didn’t know how be alone.
The doctor finished what he was saying, which Amy had heard none of, and was walking away. Amy finally snapped out of her trance, “Doctor wait…Can I see her?” The doctor turned, “Are you sure?” Amy nodded, “I need to see her.”
Sign up to rate and review this story