Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > American Legend

Summoning

by texaswookie 0 reviews

Before the final battle of Sunnydale Willow uses a spell to summon the heroes of the past to combat the First. The spell brings her the American Legends to battle the First and its forces.

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Buffy,Faith,Giles,Spike,Willow,Xander - Published: 2012-06-07 - Updated: 2012-06-09 - 4153 words - Complete

0Unrated
American Legends

From the vaults of my Backburner stories I present to you. American Legends: Willow does a spell to summon warriors of legend to help against the First, Alamo, Zorro, Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan, Daniel Boone, John Henry.

As far as I know these characters belong to the United States and its History. All of them except Zorro who was created by writer Johnston McCulley. Except for the obvious BTVS ones which are the work of Joss

Most of the songs and saying were Disney creations as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willow looked around anxiously glad that none of the others were here to see what it was that she was doing because she just knew that they weren't going to be happy with it. They wouldn't understand that she was doing what had to be done. Combined as they were they were considered as some of the most powerful forces of good that the planet had seen. Despite that though, they weren't enough to combat the First Evil and its armies. They needed some way to counter the evil that was thrown against them. The only way that she could think of it though was with a spell designed to call forth Legends of Old whatever that meant. She sat down in the pentagram that she had formed and began speaking the spell that she had found. She only hoped that the others would understand why she had done this when it was all over. The red head took a couple of cleansing breaths before she began saying the spell that she had read.

"Gaia, Mother Earth, protector and mother to all, Kronos, father of what is, what was, and what will be. Hear the cries of one of your servants who need thy aide. Your humble servants stand ready for battle, but they are not enough to protect you. I plead of you to raise your champions of old from their well earned rests. Pull back the hands of time and let your protectors of days gone by rise to the call of battle. The people need their heroes of legend to once more rise from the ashes where they have long lain to beat back the oppressors of the people. Guardians of the gateway are needed to push back the oppressors. The champions of the people and the ideals that they stand for are needed. Let the defenders of all that is true rise once more to battle against the dark forces that once again rise to destroy all that they sacrificed themselves for."

There was a flash of light and the witch felt the ground beneath her shudder as the power of the spell flared. The witch collapsed as she felt her strength give out the spell had required more power than she had thought possible. She weakly looked up as a heavy mist blew in. Several ghostly images began to form out of the mist.

"Yay, me." The witch muttered as she watched the figures begin to form. She heard the outside door be jerked open and Kennedy, Buffy, Xander, Dawn, Giles, Spike, Faith, and Anya rush toward her. The witch grinned at her friends as they gathered around her.

Buffy and Xander looked at her grimly. "What did you do Wills?" Xander asked soothingly as he held the witch up.

"I asked Earth and Time to send us some help." The witch informed them.

"Oh please tell me that's not the Legends Reborn spell?" Anya whimpered as she saw the ground let loose some sort of earth that began to build upon itself.

"Uh yeah, why?" Willow asked still slightly punch drunk from the power of the spell.

"Because that spell usually takes like five people just to get one hero to come out." The former demon explained. She then pointed at the figures that were now stepping out of the mist. "Who were you thinking of when you used that spell?"

"The book didn't say anything about thinking about anyone though." Willow said worriedly. "Was I supposed to?" She questioned as she saw Giles and Anya pale even more than they already had.

"Oh good lord." Giles said taking his glasses off to polish them as he looked from the witch to the large cloud of mist that was steadily growing bigger as they watching it.

"What? But that means anyone considered as a hero could come out of there." Anya said nervously as she watched the cloud continue to grow in awe.

"Um whoops." The redhead stated with a chuckle as they all helplessly watched. None of them knew of anything that they could do until it had finished whatever it was that it was doing.

The cloud finally stopped rolling and around and movement could be seen inside. A tall lanky cowboy was the first one to walk out. The man had a six shooter on both sides, and a rifle and was leading a black horse. "Howdy ma'm I sure hope that we can be of a help with what's coming." The man said tipping his cowboy toward the group of startled scoobies.

"Not to be rude or anything but, ah who are you?" Willow questioned nervously as she stared at the lanky figure.

The man looked slightly insulted that the person that had summoned him from the past didn't even know who he was. He then placed his hands on the gunbelt and began to speak in a well rehearsed speech. "I'm a ring-tailed roarer. I can draw faster, shoot straighter, ride harder and drink longer than any man alive. I ride cyclones, I'm the rip-snortinest cowboy that ever rode north, south, east or west of the Rio Grande. I'm Pecos Bill."

Xander coughed at this. "Pecos Bill," He asked in shock.,"as in the Pecos Bill?"

"Yep," the cowboy confirmed, "and this here is my horse Widow Maker." The man said gesturing to the horse at his side.

"You know who this man is Xander?" Giles asked as he looked at the figure is disbelief.

"Yeah sure he's a legend, one of the American Tall Tales." The guy said slightly dazed, as he looked at the figure in surprise. "Thing is, I never knew that he was real."

"Hey Pecos, stop hogging all of the ahttenthann!" A large black man drawled out, as he stepped forward. The man then let a large hammer head drop to the ground while he leaned on the handle.

"No way," Buffy said as she eyed the dark skinned man aprecietivly. "It can't be." The blonde said as she let her eyes finally rest on the heavy hammer.

"I assure you youngun I am me." The man said puffing his chest out a bit.

"Buffy?" Giles questioned wondering what about this man could have left the Slayer speechless.

Buffy began sing a small tune without even thinking about what she was doing. "Some say he's from Georgia, Some say he's from Alabam, But it's wrote on the rock at the Big Ben Tunnel, That he's an East Virginia Man, That he's an East Virginia man. John Henry was a steel drivin' man, He died with a hammah in his han', Oh, come along boys and line the track." The slayer whispered the childhood the tune with a grin.

John Henry smirked at Pecos as he walked off to the side to let the next person pass. A large man that looked like he was over twelve feet tall with a giant double headed ax on his shoulder and leading a giant blue ox walked forward next.

"Paul Bunyan?" Willow squeaked out, as her eyes roamed over the large figure and the animal that trailed behind him.

"Who?" Giles questioned looking at the group of young adults in confusion. The name was not one that he recognized and this worried him.

"Geeze Giles, you've been in America for how many years and you've never bothered to study all of the myths and legends of the U.S.A?" Xander quipped at the man. "Paul Bunyan here is only the most famous lumberjack in the United States and one of the better known legends. You would think that you would have learned a bit about our legends instead of always worrying about all of the really old ones."

Giles coughed nervously at this. "Yes well, ah it would appear that I made an error in judgment on that matter. Then again it was the old ones that always seemed to be trying to destroy the world. I had to prioritize what I was reading somehow." The Watcher defended himself.

Before the conversation could continue the giant introduced himself with a loud booming voice that seemed to echo off of everything. "With my double-blade axe and my hobnail boots, I go where the timber's tall. When there's work to be done don't mess around. Just sing right out for Paul." The giant yodeled out proudly.

"This is insanity," Giles complained to the others. "What good are these people going to be against vampires?"

"Hey don't knock it till you try it Giles, besides having these guys help is more than we had earlier." Buffy returned to the Watcher.

And then a large group strode out of the mist. Men in uniforms and leather buckskin each of them carrying an old fashioned gun. "You called for some help defednin the world?" A man with a large knife at his side questioned.

"And you are?"

"I'm Colonel Travis and over there is Colonel Bowie." A man in an officers uniform with a cavalry saber at his side said in a more formal tone. "And somewhere around here is Colonel Crockett."

A Hispanic potential that had been standing off to the side began sing a song a haunting melody at this as she recognized the names of the heroes of her state. "In the southern part of Texas, in the town of San Antone/There's a fortress all in ruins that the weeds have overgrown/You may look in vain for crosses and you'll never see a one/But sometimes between the setting and the rising of the sun .../You can hear a ghostly bugle as the men go marching by/You can hear them as they answer to that roll call in the sky/Colonel Travis, Davy Crockett and a hundred eighty more/Captain Dickenson, Jim Bowie present and accounted for;" The girl grinned wolfishly at the group of men that had come to help them. "We really got a chance." The girl said with a confidence that she hadn't felt since the whole mess had started. The other girls looked at her and saw the hope and let it spread to them.

"Buffy who are these men?" Giles asked only to get a shrug from the uncertain slayer.

"Who are these men?" The potential questioned in disbelief. "They're the heroes of the Alamo a 185 men that stood up against the army of Santa Anna."

"These are the men that stood up against the Napoleon of the West?" Giles asked as he looked at the group in surprise, and with a hint of respect.

"That's right; they're the ones that stood between the rest of Texas and the army of 5,000." The girl said reverently as she eyed the group before them.

"They're American Spartans then?" The Watcher as he examined the group with renewed interest.

"Something like that." The girl said with a grin.

There was a cheering as a man strode up from the crowd dressed in the buckskins that a number of the people were wearing. "Wondered where he had got off to." Bowie said with a grin as he looked at the approaching figure. At the man's side was a grizzly bear and behind him was a man playing a guitar. A large number of men were singing as the man strode by in rough and rowdy voices.

"Born on a mountain top in Tennessee, /Greenest state in the land of the free. /Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree, /Killed him a bear when he was only three./Davy, Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier./Off through the woods he's a marchin' along/Makin' up yarns an' a singin' a song/Itchin' for fightin' and rightin' a wrong/He's ringy as a b'ar and twice as strong./Davy, Davy Crockett, The buckskin buccaneer!" There was cheering as the short song ended and everyone looked the smug looking man over. He flashed a giant grin at them all before bowing dramatically in front of everyone doffing his hat as he came down.

"How do ladies." He said in a charming and sweet voice, as he flashed his teeth at the young ladies.

"Now Davy, be careful with those things you don want to grin such vision of beauty to death now do ya?" The man holding the instrument chided his partner.

"Grin us to death?" Buffy questioned the woodsman with amusement in her eyes.

"Oh yes indeed." Davy said as he looked at the group of women. "Ya see, I mainly use it on Racoons ya know. Grinning them to death that is. I have done it on a few bears to they're pretty hard to do it to though. I'm sure I almost got this one near down when we were off fightin red skins but we got interrupted by a loud mouth major that went and messed up my concentration. Fact is that I've gotten so good with it that there was this one coon that I came across that jumped right into my bag so's to save us both the trouble of waiting."

The girls all smiled at this bit of humor and were about to say something else when another man stepped out of the mist. "Well I'll be." Crockett said with a grin. Standing there was a man that looked similar to Davy with a few cosmetic changes and the gun he carried on his shoulder looked a bit older.

"Who do we have now?" Giles asked at the newest figure that had stepped into view.

"You mean you don't know who Daniel Boone is?" Crockett asked the Watcher whose eyes bugged, out as he knew that particular name from his history books. "Start it up boys welcome ol Daniel back home amongst the living to protect the U.S and the world." Crockett commanded of his men who nodded as they started yet another song.

"Daniel Boone was a man, Yes, a big man! /With an eye like an eagle /And as tall as a mountain was he! Daniel Boone was a man, /Yes, a big man! /He was brave, he was fearless /And as tough as a mighty oak tree!/From the coonskin cap on the top of ol' Dan /To the heel of his rawhide shoe; /The rippin'est, /roarin'est, fightin'est man /The frontier ever knew! /Daniel Boone was a man, /Yes, a big man! /And he fought for America/To make all Americans free!/What a Boone, what a do-er, /What a dream come-er true-er was he!"

"Is that the last of them?" Anya asked curiously. The sound of thunder flashed through the air and a figure dressed all in black strode through the mist upon a black horse. Everyone stopped as the figure moved forward. He wore all black and had a cape and sombrero on. The black mask he wore obscured all of his features making it hard to see who he was. At his side everyone saw the simple yet elegant blade he wore, a giant horse whip sat on the pommel of his saddle and a pair of old musket ball pistols were in his hands. The man slid off of the horse and bowed before them. While Crockett had bowed just moments ago there was something refined about the way this figure did it. "Good evening señors and senoritas. California does need my blade for another battle then?" He questioned them staring intently at the various people.

"Who's he?" Giles asked in frustration not enjoying not knowing who the various people that magic had sent them were. He wouldn't have minded Joan of Arc, Leonidas, King Arthur, or Sir Walter Scott. But this group of heroes instead was unknown to him, and he was unsure just how he was to respond to them or just what they could do. The others seemed suitably impressed but he wondered if they might not be mistaken in being relieved at these new arrivals. There was also the matter of Willow casting such a powerful spell to summon these people

"Señor Zorro at your service," the man said. "Perhaps you would prefer the name El Foxe though?" The man joked causing snickers from the gathered figures. Giles rolled his eyes at this. Great he was dealing with the American equivalent of Robin Hood it seemed. The only difference though seemed that this man did not have a force of men to call to aide with a blow of the Horn.

"Boys introduce our find friend here if you would." Davy Crockett commanded of his team. The men nodded and a Spanish tune began to come out of the instruments.

"Out of the night, /When the full moon is bright, /Comes the horseman/known as Zorro. /This bold renegade /Carves a "Z" with his blade, /A "Z" that stands for Zorro."

The masked man's voice then lost all of its humor as it hardened to steel. The man then turned to face Buffy. "I am here to protect California from evil once again. My homeland calls out that I be here as her champion as I once was long ago. My blade is yours to command." Zorro said drawing his blade, and raising it to the air so that it reflected the last bit of sunlight back amongst them.

"So Giles, why did we only get American heroes?" Xander asked curiously as he looked the group of heroes over with awe. "Not that I'm complaining or anything, it just seems kind of odd is all."

"It could be any number of reasons Xander." Giles admitted to the other man. "It could be because we're on American soil, and magic sent champions from this part of the world. It could be because Willow is an American and the spell read her thoughts and somehow brought American heroes to help her deal with what is coming. It could even be a combination of the two or something entirely different. I will need time to study and figure out what exactly is going on before I can tell you why something like this has happened." The Watcher explained to the young man.

"A simple I don't know would have worked just as well." Xander pointed out with a grin.

Buffy smiled at the group of heroes. That were now amongst them, they now had a chance at winning this war in ways that they never might have before. The thing that they had to do now though was get them set for when the final fight came so that they could kick the First all over the place. 'Who knows they might just live to see the end of this fight yet.' The girl thought to herself as she looked the small army of figures over with hope. She leaped onto the top of a car not caring if it was right she needed to get their attention

"Okay guys, we got us a chance to win this thing." The blonde shouted as she looked them all over. "Look around you folks, there are people that are legends standing alongside of us today. Maybe that doesn't put us at legend status, but I'd say it definitely puts us at hero status." The blonde told the various potentials that were watching the force of new comers and listening to what the Slayer had to say. "Faith and I may be the chosen two but now we're joined by the king of the Lumberjacks the Master of the Hammer, the Lord of the West, King of the Wild Frontier, the American Spartans, and El Foxe. It doesn't matter what we are we are going to show those that have carried the same hard burden of life and death and march alongside them. We're going to show all of these great people that while we may not be on their level we're legends in the making." Buffy told them pumping her hand into the air

The potentials cheered at this while the various members of the old heroes smiled as they watched the young blonde general managed to fill her people with confidence that they had contained in only small amounts before. Yes this girl was indeed a legend in the making and her story would travel far and wide to all of those that needed hope. Those that had given way to these new heroes could see that they had left their land in good hands.

Colonel Travis chuckled as he watched the girl turn hopeful girls into fired up warriors. This girl was going to make the forces of darkness regret ever having taken her on when she was done. Between her and the witch there was almost no stopping them it seemed. The man calmly lit a cigar before turning over his shoulder. "Crockett, I have a mission for you and some of your woodsmen."

"And what might that be colonel?" Davy asked from where he and Daniel Boone had been discussing the best way to track different kinds of animals and how best to out injun an injun.

"I want you to take some men and find the museum Crockett. Once there I want you take everything there that you think that we can use and bring it back here. When the time comes I don't want us to have the problem of shortages again." Travis ordered a dark look on his face as memories of a past life snuck up on him.

Davy nodded grimly the smile on his face gone and his eyes hardening as he recalled how the war had ended with them pressed against the wall with nothing but a handful of weapons and shot that they couldn't use. No there was no way that he ever wanted to see a repeat of that again. "Will do Colonel." The former senator said giving a quick salute before he turned back toward his men and gathered up before they disappeared into the night to find supplies that they could use against the coming forces of darkness. It would be nice to finally be able to attack instead of having to always defend. The mountain man thought to himself as he led his people.

"Okay," Buffy said raising her hands and calming the group of cheering potentials down, "this is what we're going to do." The blonde began telling her plan and while there were some that were disturbed there were others that nodded their heads in agreement as they realized that there was more than a quick temper behind the blonde. Now that she had a force she could take on the target that she had wanted to so badly. "So what do you guys think?" She questioned the newcomers with interest a part of her wanting there approval for the battle that was to come. These guys had the kind of experience that she could only dream about in her nightmares and she wanted to get their opinion on what they thought of this.

"It's a sound plan for what you have." Daniel Boone said as he observed everything that the girl had shown and placed before them. "I think that we can manage it with a few modifications to make sure that everything goes as planned.

Buffy grinned at the men. Finally they were done fighting defensively when the sun rose they would be taking the war to the First they were going to end it finally. After seven years she was going to finally show the world just what it was that she could do and what would happen when you tried to take her on.

Faith smiled as she watched the fire return to her sister slayer's eyes. She could go and join her but there was something else that she would rather do right now though. Stalking toward the man with the giant knife strapped to his leg she leaned over to him. "Hey there stud think that you can stab me with you blade?" She asked with a smirk.

Jim Bowie merely smiled at the girl as the dark haired young woman led him off. It seemed that the future had many things to offer him and he would enjoy all of the things that it could offer him. Besides now that he wasn't sick anymore he wanted to enjoy everything that there was to their full potential.
Sign up to rate and review this story