Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > Family Reunion

Truck Stop BBQ

by texaswookie 0 reviews

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-06-11 - Updated: 2012-06-12 - 3927 words - Complete

0Unrated
next chapter will see a return to my usual disclaimers.


L.A. Police Department




A detective sat sadly in his chair, looking out the window of his office; an office he felt he didn’t deserve right now. He was one of the few clean cops in the city, yet he had easily become a member of Jasmine’s followers. He had seen what corrupted cops could be like, he had started out under a cop that had been corrupt, and like a good officer he had just followed orders, often skating the edge of being a bad cop himself. But that didn’t mean that he had enjoyed it; at the time, it had been the one job that he was not only good at, but it was the one that he had dreamed of all his life. He tiredly ran his hand through his hair as he tried to figure out where he had gone wrong. He was almost ready to turn in his shield and gun at the moment and was wondering if he could go home after everything that had happened. Could he even face his closest friends after everything?

Sighing, he toyed with the radio that he usually kept on at all times; it reminded him of the life he had left behind when he came to the big city. Idly, he remembered a friend of his that had quit the force, or rather was forced off, after she began raising a ruckus over something that her P.I. friend had let her in on. Kate’s dad had been one of his mentors when he had first joined the L.A.P.D. Should he quit? He didn’t know for sure, but what he did know was that right now he couldn’t with a clean conscious, after though, well he’d just have to see.

His hand fell in shock as he heard a familiar voice coming across the speaker. “This is Shepard calling gumdrops, over.” The voice sounded tired, as if it had been calling for quite a while.

Swallowing, the detective shakily picked up the mike. “Uncle Jesse, that really you?”

“Enos! Where the heck have you been? Do you have any idea how long I’ve been on this blasted radio?”

“No, sir, Uncle Jesse. Fact is I just now turned my radio on.”

“You just turned your radio on?!” Enos winced as Uncle Jesse yelled into the radio. The old man was obviously in a very bad mood.

“Yes, sir,” the detective answered, feeling almost like he was back home about to get a dressing down.

“Enos Strate! Have you forgotten everything you ever learned in Hazzard? You know better than to cut yourself off from communication like that! How many times has having a radio nearby saved your life?”

“I lost count, sir. But we don’t use radios much in the city.”

“Really, and what do you use?”

“Cell phones, sir.”

“Oh, well aren’t we all modern now?” Uncle Jesse said sarcastically. “You listen to me, and you listen to me good, Enos. You get your butt into your car and meet us on the outskirts of town. We have a lot to talk about.”

“Well Uncle Jesse, why don’t you come on into town and…”

“Enos, I don’t put my foot down often with you, but this time I am. You will meet me. We have a lot to talk to about. Unless you’re not interested in seeing Daisy,” the old man added slyly.

“Daisy’s with you?” Enos asked in surprise.

“You better believe I am, sugar pie,” another voice came over the radio said, reminding the man of his former life. Back then picnics with her had been one of the most important things he had on his mind. “And I got a hug all for you when you get here.”

“But I…”

“C’mon, Enos, it’ll be just like old times,” another voice chimed in said.

“Bo?”

“That’s right, Enos, we’re all here,” Luke said.

“This is Crazy Cooter. I may be dumb, but I ain’t crazy Comeback, Enos.”

“But who’s watching the farm?” the now fully bewildered detective asked in shock as he tried to figure out what was going on.

“Vance and Coy are taking care of it. And don’t try and change the subject,” Uncle Jesse said.

“Yes, sir.”

“Good. Now get on down to that truck stop you told us about. We need to talk.”

“Yes, sir,” Enos replied, throwing the radio down and heading for the door.

Enos opened the door and saw his partner looking at him curiously. “What was that all about, big guy?” He nodded toward the radio. “Sounded like you were being chewed out or something.”

“Err… kind of. Look, I have to go and take care of something; you mind holding the fort down for a while?”

“Sure,” the man replied. He then watched as his partner, who was still dressed in a sports jacket and tie, ran out the door. Everyone watched the detective rush out. Since he was usually so calm, there were more than a few mouths hanging open as the detective actually slid across the hood of his car as he rushed to get to the other side. Enos then peeled out of the parking lot. He didn’t even bother with the regular way, but jumped the sidewalk in his car somehow.

“What the hell has gotten into Strate?” one man asked.

“Who cares? Where the hell did he learn how to peel out like that?” another questioned admiringly as they watched the sedan disappear into the LA streets life.


Truck Stop


Enos pulled into the truck stop and looked around hesitantly, not believing his eyes. There, on the back of a familiar white pickup truck, sat four men and a woman that he hadn’t seen since he had moved from Georgia.

Detective Enos Strate of the LAPD shook his head for a moment as he looked at the figures sitting there. He got out of his car and was immediately noticed by his old friends. “Enos!” the woman cried, jumping down and running at the delighted detective. He held her for a minute, oblivious to the jealous glares that a number of men were shooting him. “Well bust my gumdrops. You guys are really here.”

“Sure we are, Enos. Just wish it was under better circumstances,” Luke said, pulling his old friend into a brotherly hug.

“Is Uncle Boss giving you boys grief again?” he asked his friends after he had embraced Bo and Uncle Jesse. “’Cause you know there’s not a whole lot I can do out here, right?”

“Naw, it’s got nothing to do with Boss,” Luke replied. “It actually has to do with our family. How about you sit down and we’ll explain it all to you?“

“Well, all right,” Enos agreed, grinning nervously at his friend. Whenever Luke got that tone of voice, it usually meant that he was planning something. He remembered some of the jailbreaks that Luke had thought up, which had usually ended with him stuck in a cell, or Roscoe and him stuck in a pile on the floor.

“Come on, we’ll even buy you some dinner,” Luke offered as he led them into the diner. The Dukes then showed him the papers they had secreted under the seat in Uncle Jesse’s truck. He listened as they summarized the problem they were facing. “You’re going in after them, aren’t you?” he asked the group, but specifically looked at Bo and Luke.

“We have to, Enos. It’s what family does,” Bo answered.

“And the boys are like family to me,” Cooter said. “So I have to be there with them.”

“So, Enos, do you want to help? Or do you want to pretend like none of this ever happened?” Jesse asked quietly, tucking his reading glasses away.

“I don’t know. I mean I feel like such a failure right now. I actually joined a bunch of dirty cops in doing a manhunt that wasn’t legal. I’m not fit to wear this,” he said, tossing his badge on the table.

The others looked like they wanted to say something, but at a look from Daisy they all got quiet for a moment as she cupped her hands in his. “Enos, sugar plum, look at me,” She wheedled. Turning his head upward, he looked at his old flame. “You say you want to help people, but you don’t know how right now ‘cause you feel like you keep running into problems with people that run the system. I don’t claim to understand all that stuff, but I do know that you’re a good man, and that if you really want to prove that your not like your uncle, then helping people would be a good start.”

“Yeah, but…”

“But nothing, sweet pie. While it’s still your choice, just think for a moment what might happen if you don’t help.”

Enos looked up, a new hardness to his eyes. He may have betrayed his oaths, but he would fight for the world, just like the Dukes. “Count me in.”

The Dukes all grinned at him. “Ain’t that just disgustingly sweet?” a figure said as it sauntered into view. The man was dressed all in leather. “I mean seriously, what can you hope to accomplish taking on the First? It’d be better if you all just turned around and headed back to whatever little place you crawled out of.”

“Don’t suppose that we could talk about this somewhere a little less public, do ye lad?” a man said from a table where a half a dozen people were sitting.

“Are you sure you want to do that, Highlander? I’m sure your friends would be more than happy to participate in this. After all, you’re all here to help the Slayer, aren’t ya?” Everyone in the rest stop stiffened at the name, meaning different things to different people. Several people dressed as bikers growled menacingly as they stood up, as did a number of other patrons, alongside the man who had spoken, whose face now shifted, showing the monster that hid beneath the surface. The group that the vampire had turned to now pulled out a number of swords much to everyone’s surprise. A dark haired teen that had been eating a hamburger stood up between his table and what might be his parents.

“Back off, dust for brains,” a new voice said as two guys entered the hostile room.

“And who are you? You’re not on the guest list,” the vampire said, his eyes glowing yellow. “After all, I have the list right here, and you’re simply not on it,” he said, holding up a piece of paper.

“What can I say? I was never one for playing by the rules like that,” the guy replied carelessly, keeping his weapon trained on the leader.

“It’s true. He’s more of a party crasher than anything else,” the second guy said, holding a stake in his hand. “I’m the one that usually ends up cleaning up his mess and apologizing.”

“Oh, and the name’s Dean. Geek boy behind me is Sam.”

“Do you always have to add in the geek part?” the dark haired guy asked.

“Eh, it’s habit,” the blonde said as he leveled a sawed off shotgun at the lead vamp. “So, you got any more friends out there you want to invite to this? Or do we go ahead and get this party started?”

“You’re the Winchester brothers,” the vampire said. Hearing this, a few of the demons that had been hidden in the shadows stepped forward, cracking their knuckles dangerously.

“Oh, so you’ve heard of us then?” Dean asked with a cocky grin. “Then you know it’s not a smart thing to go and hurt people with us around.”

“I know about you. You’re the guys that handle spirits.” The vampire smirked evilly. “Too bad for you, this ain’t that kind of fight.”

“MacLeod, we got Bringers outside,” one of the sword wielders said as he gazed out the window

“All right, the Bringers are human and since we’re a little low on weaponry, we’ll handle them,” Luke said.

“I’m with you,” a man that looked like an older version of Bo said. “Martha, you come with me. Clark, help these people, then help us; is that understood?”

“But dad…”

“Is that understood?”

“Yes, sir,” the teen agreed reluctantly. The man nodded and patted his son on the shoulder before heading for the door. He picked up a discarded broom and tossed it to the guy who could have been his younger self.

“Thank you kindly, sir,” Bo said, taking a few swings with the weapon. He had fought many a bar fight with a pool cue; he hoped the same principles would work for this kind of fight.

“Oh, and Clark?”

"Yeah, dad?"

"You’re allowed to hit these guys as hard as you want,” Jonathan Kent told his son before he walked outside to fight the Bringers.

“You help in here, bro,” Dean said, following the men out where he hoped his shotgun would be of use against the Bringers, and hoping he hadn’t just signed his brother’s death warrant.

“Well, those Bringers ought to keep them busy while we handle you. Then we can finish them off nice and slow,” the vampire said, licking his lips in anticipation.

“I don’t think so. You’re not going to hurt my parents,” Clark promised, glaring at the vampire. Everyone watched as his eyes flashed red, and a heat blast caught the vampire in the chest. The vampire screamed in pain as it fell away into a pile of ash and dust.

“Get them!” a demon ordered, and the dark creatures all rushed toward the group of heroes around them. Sam Winchester, roving demon hunter, headed toward one of the other vampires. He tried to find an opening to use the stake in his hand. The swordsmen all met the demons that were standing against them.

“Come on, boy, show me what they teach you hunters,” the vampire sneered at the younger Winchester as he dodged the stake that Sam held. “They say you have power, boy. That you’re a threat to possessor demons. If what they say is true, then maybe it’s past time we vampires dealt with you and your brother.”

Sam leaped at the vampire. ‘I am not going to lose anymore family!’ he thought fiercely as he brought the cross he had hidden in his other hand onto the vampires throat. The vampire hissed in pain as it knocked the boy back. It rubbed its throat carefully.

“That hurt.” It lunged at the dark haired young man. Sam dodged out of the way before his fist could connect. The meaty fist struck a pillar instead. While the vampire was busy dragging its arm out of the wall, Sam ran up to it and staked it. “You bass…” the vamp started before it turned to dust.

Sam let out a relieved smile, rubbing his arm where he had been hit. “That’s my brother’s line,” he joked, before turning to the other demons that were around the room.


Clark Kent burned the vampire that threatened his family easily with his heat vision. He then ran at super speed until he was behind the biggest of the demons. Grinning like Kal-El, he tapped it on the shoulder.

Turning, the demon was surprised to see the human boy with the burning eyes. “Well,” it said smugly, facing the boy. “Have you come to try and burn me now, boy? Something you need to know is that a demon can stand the fires of Hell better than a pathetic vampire. So what makes you think that you’re fire sight will hurt me?” The demon was then treated to a fist striking it in the face. ‘Despite his fragile human appearance, the boy punches harder than a Hellgod!’ the demon thought as the fist connected.

“Stay away from my family!” the boy yelled as the demon was sent flying through the glass window and into an eighteen-wheeler. There was a noticeable dent in the truck as the demon slid down the side.

“What power!” the demon muttered as it got back up. It turned as it heard another impact sound, and saw a small arrow stuck in the fuselage of the truck. The demon smiled at this. ‘Even when they have their tools, the humans are pathetic.’ It never noticed the sparking stick as it blew up the arrow, the fuel in the truck, and itself.


Connor MacLeod, the Highlander, twirled his sword as he faced off against the pale demon in front of him that had horns jutting out the sides of it’s head. “C’mon, ye cheap Alien reject, show me what ye got!” he challenged the demon. Growling, the demon lunged at the Immortal. Spinning, he dodged the heavy claws that would have likely opened him up. Continuing his spin, he brought his own sword against the back of the monster. The green blood that spurted from the wound caused the Highlander to grin.

Turning around, the demon savagely backhanded the longhaired man, sending him flying into the wall on the other side of the room. He felt several of his ribs break from the impact.

“I will feast on your Immortal bones for many years, Highlander,” the demon rasped as it tried to pin him to the ground with its claws.

Methos’ sword came down, severing the arm. “Thanks,” Connor said to the other Immortal as he lunged back at the demon. He drew a hidden dagger and it stuck in the demon’s throat. Then, while the creature was pawing at the metal, he sliced his sword through its other hand. He then kicked the demon in the face and brought his weapon down through it’s head.

“No free meals this time, lad,” the Highlander said, withdrawing his knife. He turned to fight another demon that was getting ready to slice Ritchie to bits.


Luke Duke grimaced as he dodged a knife blow. He, Cooter, Enos, and Bo had beaten five of these guys down before the Bringers had drawn their large knives. He was a boxing champion and bar brawler though, not a martial artist like these guys were. So while he was still up, he wasn’t sure how much longer he was going to be. He just barely ducked a high kick, but managed a one two combo into the robed figure’s gut. He then sent a powerful uppercut to the chin; while the guy was stumbling back, he turned to look at the others. It looked like it was only through teaming up, that they were even holding their own against these guys.

“Luke, I believe this is for you!” Cooter called from where he stood by the General; one hand holding a heavy wrench, the other he was using to toss Luke his bow. Luke snatched the weapon out of the air; four arrows were already set up in the holster. Using the weapon in a different manner than he normally did, he slammed it into the side of the robed man causing him to double over. While the man was down, Luke brought the bow down over his head knocking him out. He looked to the side where Uncle Jesse, another old man, that kid Dean, and a middle-aged couple were shooting at the Bringers from cover. Glad that they were safe, he jogged over to Uncle Jesse’s truck and tried to see where he could do the most damage with his bow. Seeing a target, he shot one Bringer in the leg as it stood over his cousin. Bo flashed him a thankful grin before slamming both of his fists into the Bringer.

Luke watched as one of the strange creatures from inside came flying out, striking the cab of a truck. He watched in disbelief as it got up after making a dent in the truck. “I hope this works,” he muttered, lighting a stick of dynamite. He then shot the arrow at the gas tank that was to the side. “Take cover!” he yelled as he jumped to the other side of the truck and watched the explosion happen. Hopefully, it would also hurt some of the Bringers.


Bo Duke stumbled as he swung his makeshift weapon. The fight had started out all right; the four young men had hit the men in black robes with everything they had, and had surprised them with the fighting style they used. The robed figures seemed to have been caught off guard with the tackle and pin style that the men used. Unfortunately that surprise had been short lived, and they were now swinging large knives at them. He raised his staff to block one slash, and watched as the weapon tore through the broomstick he held. “Great,” he muttered, tossing the stick pieces to the side. He tried to mirror the pose that they had held earlier as he watched the man near him. The figure punched him in the face and then the stomach. Gasping for air, Bo looked up at the figure holding a knife over his head. He was sure he was a goner, when an arrow hit the man in the thigh. Not about to look a gift horse in the mouth, he came up and slammed both of his fists into the Bringer. He then yanked the arrow that was imbedded in the Bringer’s leg out, while it stumbled Bo kicked it in the head.

Shaking his head, he turned to see another of Luke’s arrows hit a truck. “Take cover!” he heard. Not bothering to question Luke, Bo ran to the General and slid across the hood, crouching behind the stockcar next to Cooter. The exploding truck knocked both of them down.


“Whoo ya!” a blonde man and his greasy companion cried as they looked at the remains of the explosion. Everyone then got back up carefully as they surveyed the mess it had left in its wake.

“We need to leave now,” Mr. Kent said, looking around at the mess from the fight. “I really don’t want to answer a lot of questions when someone comes to investigate.”

“Aye, yer right,” Joe agreed, dusting his hands off. “Does everyone know the way to Sunnydale? Good. We can do introductions when we meet this Buffy girl. Else we’ll be here another hour trying to understand who’s who, and I think it would be better if we got going.” Everyone nodded in agreement as they loaded up.

“Well, bro, what do you think?” Dean asked as he checked over the Impala for a moment, while the other people were gathering their own gear.

“I think we should help them,” Sam answered.

“Good,” Dean said. “’Cause I’d really hate having to leave you here to explain all of this.” He waved at the remains of the truck stop. Grinning, Sam got in and let Dean drive after these people that had demons after them for some reason.
Sign up to rate and review this story